Third Of Fans To Give Footie The Boot............

redrus

A THIRD OF FANS TO GIVE FOOTIE THE BOOT

14th January 2009

By Tom Hutchison-Daily Star

PREMIER League clubs will lose up to a third of their fans next season to the credit crunch.

Tens of thousands of cash-strapped soccer nuts are ready to ditch their team in 2009/10 because they are being priced out of the game, according to research.

The average match day now costs supporters £96 for their ticket, food, travel and drink.

That figure is up from £78 three years ago. And with ticket prices likely to soar even further next season, experts believe the nation’s grounds will have huge empty spaces.

Teams that could lose the most fans are West Ham, Blackburn, Newcastle, Manchester Utd and Tottenham, with over a third of season ticket holders abandoning them.

Premier League season ticket prices soared by an average of 8% in 2008/09 to £590 but a new report found four in 10 regular match-goers are planning to give up their seats as the credit crunch bites.

Malcolm Clarke, chairman of the Football Supporters’ Federation, blames rising ticket prices on huge players’ wages.

He said the Premier League’s decade-long boom is about to collapse and big-name teams could suffer.

Mr Clarke warned: “For too long, Premier League clubs have acted as if the good times would roll indefinitely and the brand loyalty of their supporters had no limit.

“But the bubble now finally seems set to burst and the days of supporters shelling out, regardless of prices, are well and truly over.

“The industry may well now pay the price for its short-sightedness in letting prices exceed inflation over the past 15 years.”

FA Cup winners Portsmouth were the worst offenders, hiking season tickets by 17.5% in 2008/9, with other steep rises at Blackburn (12.9%) and Tottenham (10.7%).

The Virgin Money report also found the clubs most likely to keep hold of loyal supporters in 2009/10 are Wigan Athletic, West Brom, Sunderland and Stoke.

But even they face losing 18% of season ticket holders. Grant Bather, of Virgin Money, said: “The loyalty of football fans is legendary but when people are worried about losing their jobs, something has to give.

“Spending on season tickets will bear the brunt as fans look to save money.”

Mr Clarke added: “Fans know they can watch almost any game in the pub for the price of a few pints. This is becoming an attractive alternative for many.”

redrus

I don't suppose this means a lot to you people on TV....? Do we have any season ticket holders for EPL or lower league clubs.

I gave my United ST up a few years ago, it just is not worth it, not with this pay before they play <deleted> the Glazers brought in, I can't afford to pay £600 for a ST then pay for cup games when they decide, taking like 3 or 4 games out at once is just crazy....!

I am now a season ticket holder at FC United of Manchester though.

redrus

Didn't want to pollute those other fine threads with this so here goes.

Last week I warned of the dreaded nil nil late game vis-a-vis liverpool. This week here are my can't miss choices.

Shock (not) of the week - Wigan to beat City, UTD to nip it late. LP and Everton to tie 1-1 and WB to clip southgate and crew.

These picks are free for all and carry the warning - use at your own risk.

I don't suppose this means a lot to you people on TV....? Do we have any season ticket holders for EPL or lower league clubs.

I gave my United ST up a few years ago, it just is not worth it, not with this pay before they play <deleted> the Glazers brought in, I can't afford to pay £600 for a ST then pay for cup games when they decide, taking like 3 or 4 games out at once is just crazy....!

redrus

i gave up my liverpool seasie about six years ago. was becoming too expensive.

that obligatory cup ticket purchase scheme that united brought in was outrageous man, fair play to you for jacking it in and following FCUM.

redrus

i gave up my liverpool seasie about six years ago. was becoming too expensive.

that obligatory cup ticket purchase scheme that united brought in was outrageous man, fair play to you for jacking it in and following FCUM.

Its a really good day out too, cheap pint or two, reasonably priced food, good banter and singing all through the game that has an atmosphere....!

redrus