Tourism Ministry Proposes Waiving Visa Fees For 6 Months

TOURISM PROPOSALS

Waive visa fees, cut air fares: Tourism and Sports Ministry

The Tourism and Sports Ministry has submitted 13 tourism recovery measures for government approval. The proposals include waiving visa fees, cutting air fares, and reducing airport charges.

Minister Chumpol Silapa-Archa said the proposed measures were handed to the government's economic team yesterday.

"The ministry has compiled [the measures] from the needs and proposals from the private sector," Chumpol said.

The tourism industry, which normally generates about 6-8 per cent of gross domestic product, is suffering from the global economic crisis and last year's eight-day closure of Bangkok's two commercial airports.

Among the measures proposed to revive sector, the ministry will urge Thai Airways International and other carriers to cut fares by 50 per cent to encourage more advanced bookings.

It is also urging the government to waive visa fees for tourists from all countries for six months, with a possible extension of a further six months.

The ministry has also asked the government to reduce value-added tax on hotel room rates for one year, and Airports of Thailand to reduce landing and parking fees at the country's international airports in a bid to persuade more airlines to restore their Thai operations.

Other measures would require government organisations to adjust their budgets for outside meetings and seminars so as to boost domestic tourism, plus a proposal that private companies' tax refunds for meetings and conferences be doubled.

Moreover, hotel operators have asked for an exemption from the annual fee of Bt80 per room they have to pay to the Revenue Department.

Banks, meanwhile, will be encouraged to extend debt-repayment periods for operators in the tourism sector for three years.

The Ministry also plans to promote the major destinations of Phuket, Krabi, and Phang Nga for local tourism by reducing airport taxes and surcharges.

In addition, all national parks should play their part by waiving entrance fees for three years.

The government has also been urged to help workers in the tourism sector, which faces a high risk of increased job losses.

Chumpol said the Ministry would seek an additional budget from the government to assist the tourism sector.

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved Bt1 billion to help tourism and related businesses, but more funding was needed to support the recovery effort.

Prakit Chinamourphong, President of the Thai Hotels Association, said three- and four-star hotels planned to discount room rates by 50 per cent for people visiting the country in February and March.

Among the main target markets are China, India, the Middle East, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Japan.

Shopping centres and tourist attractions in Bangkok and other key destinations are also supporting the tourism-recovery campaign.

Most hotels in Bangkok and other major tourist cities are running at lower-than-usual occupancy rates following the airport closures.

New promotion and marketing activities in both local and overseas markets are also planned.

- The Nation / 2009-01-15

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fees of 3 months' visas slashed

The Council of Economic Ministers ruled to slash fees for all kinds of visas for foreingers visiting the country for three months, effective on January 20.

Deputy Spokesman of Prime Minister's Office Mr. Puttipong Punnakan (พุทธิพงษ์ ปุณณกันต์) revealed that a meeting of the Council of Economic Ministers on Wednesday (January 14) consented to slash fees for all kinds of visas for foreigners visiting the country for three months, effective on January 20.

Regarding damages from recent closure of Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports following blockade of People's Alliance for Democracy, the meeting instructed Ministry of Foreign Affairs to collect details of damages to be presented to the Cabinet's meeting on January 20.

Meanwhile, the meeting would reconsider later suggestion by tourism business entrepreneurs who asked the government to provide soft loans for them and reduce taxes on buildings, hotels and accommodation rooms.

Besides, the economic ministers also instructed government agencies to host seminars and studying activities to the country place of foreign countries. They also instructed the National Statistical Office and the National Economic and Social Development Board to collect information and fees relating to tourism, such as parking fees of aircrafts, in order to be presented to the Cabinet to consider to reduce fees.

In addition, the meeting instructed Ministry of Transport to seek measures to prevent airports' closure from recurring. Ministry of Tourism and Sports was instructed to negotiate for cooperation with airliners to reduce ticket fares to help turning around local tourism.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 15 January 2009

The Council of Economic Ministers ruled to slash fees for all kinds of visas for foreingers visiting the country for three months, effective on January 20.

hmmm... no specifics on precisely how much they are slashing, but good news.... if it actually happens next week.

hmmm... no specifics on precisely how much they are slashing, but good news.... if it actually happens next week.

"Waive visa fees" means free to me ...

Well, it will be interesting to see if airlines join in on this. (I doubt that they'll operate at a loss just to help out Thailand's tourist industry.) Otherwise, it's pretty much just reducing a trip to Thailand by a few thousand baht. The free visas certainly don't mean anything to the majority of tourists who get VOA.

"Waive visa fees" means free to me ...

same to me (as per OP)... but Post #2 to "slash fees" doesn't necessarily mean the same.... we'll see.

all of the proposals are very positive and to be welcomed if they do do them.

Sure. My british neighbor was telling me yesterday (he was thinking about summer holidays in Thailand) : "My God, I'm not sure. They give me 30 days at the airport... so something even more free would definitely convince me to travel to Thailand. Yeah, for instance a free 3 months visa that I don't need would definitely help me to take a decision".

:o

Poor Thailand. With such "ministers" the road is going to be long. And steep.

Among the measures proposed to revive sector, the ministry will urge Thai Airways International and other carriers to cut fares by 50 per cent to encourage more advanced bookings.

If they can start applying it this week, I think that Thailand will have good amount of visitors from Asia during Chinese New Year.

Well, I'll go to Thailand as well when Thai Airways cut fares by 50% :o

If they actually reduced airfare by 50% on the discounted tickets and not the "full economy fare" that would actually make a difference. Somehow though I'm sure it's just a discount off the full economy fare so people see the hype, but don't actually get any benefit.  Kind of like that buy 1 get 1 free business class deal they run which isn't a deal at all.

IAmong the measures proposed to revive sector, the ministry will urge Thai Airways International and other carriers to cut fares by 50 per cent to encourage more advanced bookings.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!

Good one, yeah.

Edited by Crushdepth

Price's for flights with Qatar & Emerates are all ready well down on what they were 3/4 months ago, Emerates prices for long stay dates flight from UK ie 6 months plus are down to around £500 & could drop more if demand is low.

The VAT cut is of course going to the deep pockets of the hotel operators. The visa fees are nice, but I sincerely doubt that it make any dent except for the people here working in all kinds of odd jobs who should not be on a tourist visa in the first place.

It would make much more sense if they would wave the visa requirements completely except maybe for a few areas and extend the period you can stay from 1 to 3 or 6 months, that way you would be able to get mainly elderly people to spend time here. And if the change in the rules is meant to attract long time visitors, just like the Philippines is trying to do by offering homes and property for sale, the new rules are contradicting each other. In the case they would not mind to have people staying here all the time there would not be any need to reduce the number of days you would get entering Thailand over land.

Very good point,49.7 baht to the gbp is reducing tourists coming to Thailand
Nothing to do with the Thai Baht, has more to do with the steady decline of the GBP ever since WWII compared to all other major currencies (although accelerated the last few months).

Hi :o

Does this only effect tourist visas or others as well? I still got just over 1 1/2 months on my non-B (with another border run it'll be 4 1/2 months actually) then i'll need a new one (no WP hence no extension possible).

Best regards....

Thanh

Visa fees, low air rates, <<< have you SEEN some of the deals to Vegas? There are travel deals everywhere right now.

My mom won't come with us to Thailand and my oldest daughter won't let me take my grandaughter, either, even though it would be FREE for them.

They have this strange notion that there is political unrest, riots, bombings, and airport closures, plus increased crime against tourists. What can I tell them?

Maybe the Thai Minister should do something about the little * on the Official Canadian Government Travel advisory site!?>>>

Travel Reports offer information on safety and security, local laws and customs, entry requirements, health conditions and other important travel issues. Countries with an asterisk (*) currently contain a Travel Warning, indicating that Canadians should either avoid non-essential travel to the country or to specific region(s) of the country, or avoid all travel to the country or to specific region(s) of the country.

I KNOW, some of the coutries with NO * probably have more dangerous areas than most of Thailand; but a few years of political stability would do more for tourism than some 'travel deals.'

Thailand * Exercise high degree of cautionAvoid non-essential travelAvoid all travel

During the fall of 2008 mass demonstrations in Bangkok caused many casualties and injuries as a result of violent clashes and the use of explosive devices. Demonstrators also forced the temporary closure of Suvarnabhumi International Airport and Don Mueang International Airport in Bangkok, while political conflict and protests on a smaller scale in other areas of the country also resulted in casualties and temporarily closed some provincial airports. Political uncertainty remains and further demonstrations could occur at any time. Canadians are advised to avoid any areas that appear to or are affected by protest activity. Canadians in Bangkok should exercise caution, follow advice of local authorities, and monitor local media.

Moreover, hotel operators have asked for an exemption from the annual fee of Bt80 per room they have to pay to the Revenue Department.

A sign that hotels must really be struggling. Maybe they could have a whipround and find the money for the Revenue Dept.?