1-year Retiremnet Visa Advice

:o

Ok, so the third & last entry of my triple-entry tourist visa is about two months from its expiration date. So now, at 56 and planning to stay here, I'd like to arrange for a 1-year retirement visa. I am American, and want your advice:

What is the step-by-step process I should follow to get my retirement visa?

:DThanks!

PS- I live in Pattaya

Edited by Michaelaway

This should cover it, except in your case you must first get an O visa first at Pattaya and apply no later than 21 days before the expiration of your current permission to stay.

There have been different reports about whether you can do both steps, convert to O and get the one year extension at the SAME time. Sometimes people get it in the same process and sometimes people are made to wait until usually 30 days before the permission to stay on the O ends. Of course if you are using the 800K method, the money must be seasoned for at least 2 months in a Thai bank account. You didn't mention what qualifying method you are using, 800K, pension letter, or combination. Even if you are using pension only, you really should get a Thai bank account.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/1st-Time-Ret...sa-t235268.html

Edited by Jingthing

This should cover it, except in your case you must first get an O visa first at Pattaya and apply no later than 21 days before the expiration of your current permission to stay.

There have been different reports about whether you can do both steps, convert to O and get the one year extension at the SAME time. Sometimes people get it in the same process and sometimes people are made to wait until usually 30 days before the permission to stay on the O ends. Of course if you are using the 800K method, the money must be seasoned for at least 2 months in a Thai bank account. You didn't mention what qualifying method you are using, 800K, pension letter, or combination. Even if you are using pension only, you really should get a Thai bank account.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/1st-Time-Ret...sa-t235268.html

Thanks very much for your comments. I've had a Thai bank account for about 2 years now. I plan to move the 800k baht from my U.S. account to my Thai bank account in a few days. Then, I will take the necessary steps to get my retirement visa.

Any further advice?

Do you have any income? If so, you can get an income verification letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok, and with that letter, you do NOT need to wait 60 days for any funds to be "seasoned" in a Thai Bank.

The only time you need to wait 60 days, is if you are using ONLY savings (i.e. no income) to qualify.

The US Embassy is making a visit to Pattaya on January 29, and the notice mentions that services offered during the visit include "Notarial Services and Certified Copies ($30.00 or Baht 1020)." If they in fact bring the blank form letter for income verification with them, you can save a trip to Bangkok. To verify if they provide that service (the income verification letter): "If you have any questions, please e-mail: [email protected] or call the American Citizen Services Unit at: 02-205-4049."

Hello,

Can someone advise on what is considered as income? Is it the normal things as Social Security check, interest from your account, pension, and of course, employment? Are there any other which are considered for Thai Immigration?

regards, Bart.

Hello,

Can someone advise on what is considered as income? Is it the normal things as Social Security check, interest from your account, pension, and of course, employment? Are there any other which are considered for Thai Immigration?

regards, Bart.

Income from within Thailand has to be shown with tax documents, income from abroad with a letter from your embassy confirming your income. it is up to the embassy what they will consider income and accept as proof of that.

Your list pretty much sums it up. You can add things like income from renting your house, etc. Just a regular source of money is meant, but not things like savings. Only the interest on that.

Note that the requirement for an extension based on retirement is:

income of 65,000

or

800,000 in a Thai bank account

or

a combination of the 2, totaling 800,000.

Edited by Mario2008

Hello,

regards, Bart.

Income from within Thailand has to be shown with tax documents, income from abroad with a letter from your embassy confirming your income. it is up to the embassy what they will consider income and accept as proof of that.

Your list pretty much sums it up. You can add things like income from renting your house, etc. Just a regular source of money is meant, but not things like savings. Only the interest on that.

Note that the requirement for an extension based on retirement is:

income of 65,000

or

800,000 in a Thai bank account

or

a combination of the 2, totaling 800,000.

Thank You for information. Altho my retirement is still very very far away, many things can change, but i believe that basics will remain.

Once again, Thank You.

regards, Bart.