Being Realistic, Doing Something Practical

Jamiesiam

I see our PM will not be attending any countdown or parties for the new year!

I have a small suggestion to make regarding new year celebrations.

This year it is possible to spend anywhere from 3,000 to 20,000 Baht on a New years eve dinner and party at one of the big hotels. How about those intending to spend a fortune cancelling and doing something cheaper and sending the extra money to the relief effort?

Beter yet why don't the hotels give a share of the profits to the quake victims?

I urge people on this forum to contact large Bangkok hotels and ask them what they are doing to help.

I see our PM will not be attending any countdown or parties for the new year!

I have a small suggestion to make regarding new year celebrations.

This year it is possible to spend anywhere from 3,000 to 20,000 Baht on a New years eve dinner and party at one of the big hotels. How about those intending to spend a fortune cancelling and doing something cheaper and sending the extra money to the relief effort?

Beter yet why don't the hotels give a share of the profits to the quake victims?

I urge people on this forum to contact large Bangkok hotels and ask them what they are doing to help.

I have a friend who mentioned a similar thing. the big hotels could organise parties etc, with the proceeds going towards disaster relief.

We were due to go to a 7 course meal for new years eve - seems wrong now. We cancelled that and instead spent the money on clothes at tesco (in Samui). If you take whatever you have down to the cargo section at the airport here they will box it and fly it to Krabi or Phuket free of charge. Anyone thinking of spending money in Samui over the coming period should consider putting a small amount of that to food/clothes and dropping them off at the airport.

I wrote to The Bangkok Post and Nation suggesting this but I suspect that they may worry about the advertising revenue they get from hotels too much to publish! Perhaps other forum members can put this idea about a bit and even e mail hotels requesting them to donate!

I like your idea Jamiesiam. I think regardless of where you are, in Thailand or reading this from abroad.. you should simplify your new year celebrations and give a little extra to which ever relief agency you wish.

cv