กำไรเนื้อๆ

DavidHouston

I have several questions regarding the following sample sentence in Lexitron:

"การนำก๊าซจากพม่ามาเป็นเชื้อเพลิงงานนี้ทำให้ทางรัฐบาลได้รับกำไรเนื้อๆ"

1. With respect to the phrase "งานนี้", does it modify the prior phrase "เชื้อเพลิง" or is it the subject of the subsequent clause "ทำให้ทางรัฐบาล . . . "?

2. Lexitron translates the term "เนื้อๆ" as "completely; fully" and provides a synonym "ล้วนๆ'. This adverbial definition seems to preclude this term as being an adjective modifying the noun "กำไร" to mean, "highly profitable". Question: is "เนื้อๆ" a modifier for the noun or does it serve some other predicate purpose in the sentence?

A comparable sentence from yesterday's Matichon Weekly is:

" พรรคร่วมรัฐบาลทั้งในนามและร่างทรงกวาดที่นั่งมาได้ 20 ที่นั่ง ขณะที่ฝ่ายค้าน ได้มาเพียง 9 ที่นั่ง พรรคประชาธิปัตย์กำไรเนื้อๆ ได้ ส.ส. เพิ่มมาแบบกินเปล่า 7 เสียง"

"The current government coalition, both nominally and through its intermediaries, swept a full 20 seats while the opposition managed to win only nine seats; the Democrat party _________________ obtained seven seats virtually with no effort whatsoever."

I have the same question here regarding the meaning and function of the phrase, "กำไรเนื้อๆ".

One possible interpretation of the original sentence could be:

"Bringing gas in from Burma to be used as fuel for this event was very profitable for the government."

Any thoughts or alternative translations? Thanks for your assistance.

กำไรเนื้อๆ is used either to indicate net profit or very good profit margins.

another expression is ขาดทุนกำไร, which is lost of profit, or a transaction that ended up with less than the expected profit margins

hth

I have several questions regarding the following sample sentence in Lexitron:

1. With respect to the phrase "งานนี้", does it modify the prior phrase "เชื้อเพลิง" or is it the subject of the subsequent clause "ทำให้ทางรัฐบาล . . . "?

2. Lexitron translates the term "เนื้อๆ" as "completely; fully" and provides a synonym "ล้วนๆ'. This adverbial definition seems to preclude this term as being an adjective modifying the noun "กำไร" to mean, "highly profitable". Question: is "เนื้อๆ" a modifier for the noun or does it serve some other predicate purpose in the sentence?

A comparable sentence from yesterday's Matichon Weekly is:

" พรรคร่วมรัฐบาลทั้งในนามและร่างทรงกวาดที่นั่งมาได้ 20 ที่นั่ง ขณะที่ฝ่ายค้าน ได้มาเพียง 9 ที่นั่ง พรรคประชาธิปัตย์กำไรเนื้อๆ ได้ ส.ส. เพิ่มมาแบบกินเปล่า 7 เสียง"

"The current government coalition, both nominally and through its intermediaries, swept a full 20 seats while the opposition managed to win only nine seats; the Democrat party _________________ obtained seven seats virtually with no effort whatsoever."

I have the same question here regarding the meaning and function of the phrase, "กำไรเนื้อๆ".

One possible interpretation of the original sentence could be:

"Bringing gas in from Burma to be used as fuel for this event was very profitable for the government."

Any thoughts or alternative translations? Thanks for your assistance.

Don't you just replace all before นี้ with การทำงาน or some other noun phrase ? Importing Burmese gas for fuel (like this) is very cost effective government. I don't know whether ทางรัฐบาล means 'government' but it doesn't sound like 'The government' to me.

Don't you just replace all before นี้ with การทำงาน or some other noun phrase ? Importing Burmese gas for fuel (like this) is very cost effective government. I don't know whether ทางรัฐบาล means 'government' but it doesn't sound like 'The government' to me.

Just had another thought in the shower maybe 'more' would be better, it seems like an explanation or answer to a critical question: 'why do you do it?'

ทางรัฐบาล can be comfortably translated as 'The government' literally it means the 'government side' which was the side that profited from the transaction....

As to the first question, perhaps the term divides the sentence into two parts:

"(The government) imports gas from Burma for fuel; these transactions have been very profitable for the government."

This translation assumes that "งานนี้" is the subject of the second clause. Unfortunately, this interpretation leaves the first clause without an explicitly stated subject or verb. What do you think?

As to the first question, perhaps the term divides the sentence into two parts:

"(The government) imports gas from Burma for fuel; these transactions have been very profitable for the government."

This translation assumes that "งานนี้" is the subject of the second clause. Unfortunately, this interpretation leaves the first clause without an explicitly stated subject or verb. What do you think?

งานนี้ means "The Project: - The importation of fuel gas from Burma"

the english translation of this sentence is simple:

The importation of fuel gas from Burma brought the government good profits....

hth

"งานนี้" refers to the whole phrase "การนำก๊าซจากพม่ามาเป็นเชื้อเพลิง".

So, what about "This transaction, importing gas from Burma to be used as fuel, has been very profitable for the government" ?

I'd say "เนื้อ ๆ" is an adverb to modify the adjective "profitable".

It might be clearer if I change it to "ได้รับกำไรอย่างงาม" or "ได้รับกำไรอย่างมาก" or "ได้รับกำไรอย่างเต็มที่". All have the same meaning as the original one and use adverb at the end of the sentence to modify "profitable".

"งานนี้" refers to the whole phrase "การนำก๊าซจากพม่ามาเป็นเชื้อเพลิง".

So, what about "This transaction, importing gas from Burma to be used as fuel, has been very profitable for the government" ?

I'd say "เนื้อ ๆ" is an adverb to modify the adjective "profitable".

It might be clearer if I change it to "ได้รับกำไรอย่างงาม" or "ได้รับกำไรอย่างมาก" or "ได้รับกำไรอย่างเต็มที่". All have the same meaning as the original one and use adverb at the end of the sentence to modify "profitable".

Since เนื้อๆ is made by Lexitron and they give a synonym maybe we should look at that and we get a completely different idea. I am not into translations but pure profit? (whatever that means,) unadulterated, genuine profit, I don't know. ล้วนๆ ว. แท้, เป็นอย่างเดียวกันหมด, ไม่มีอะไรปน, เช่น ทองล้วน เงินล้วน maybe profit is not only in monetary terms in this case. To be fair Lexitron did say this. It is what I say when ordering ขาหมู เอาแต่เนื้อ or เนื้อๆ

Edited by tgeezer

" การนำก๊าซจากพม่ามาเป็นเชื้อเพลิงงานนี้ทำให้ทางรัฐบาลได้รับกำไรเนื้อๆ"

Thank you for the interpretation. Might it be that the Thai sentence in Lexitron is poorly written?

Perhaps the following would have been better:

"การนำก๊าซจากพม่ามาเป็นเชื้อเพลิงทำให้ทางรัฐบาลได้รับกำไรเนื้อๆ"

"รัฐบาลได้รับกำไรเนื้อๆ ในการนำก๊าซจากพม่ามาเป็นเชื้อเพลิง"

What do you think?

[From Khun Yoot,]

It's very common in Thai sentence to write as you got from Lexitron.

I will give you some examples;

รัฐมนตรีผู้ที่มีผลงานเป็นที่รู้กันไปทั่วท่านนี้ได้เข้ามามีบทบาทสำคัญในรัฐบาลใหม่นี้อีกครั้งหนึ่ง

ชาวไร่อ้อยที่รวมตัวปิดถนนกลุ่มนี้ได้ถูกกลุ่มตำรวจสลายการชุมนุมแล้ว

การไปเจรจาทางการค้ากับสหรัฐงานนี้ประเทศไทยได้รับผลประโยชน์เป็นอย่างมาก

ท่าน นี้, กลุ่มนี้ or งานนี้ are used for specifying the noun phrase in front of these words. If you cut it off from the sentence the meaning might be unclear.

Take your sentence as an example, "รัฐบาลได้รับกำไรเนื้อๆ ในการนำก๊าซจากพม่ามาเป็นเชื้อเพลิง" (well, it should be "รัฐบาลได้รับกำไรเนื้อๆ จากการนำก๊าซจากพม่ามาเป็นเชื้อเพลิง"). or "การนำก๊าซจากพม่ามาเป็นเชื้อเพลิงทำให้ทางรัฐบาลได้รับกำไรเนื้อๆ", if we add "งานนี้" in the sentence, it would change the meaning little bit. It makes the sentence clearer that the article is about discussing on this issue.

For example;

ในสมัยรัฐบาลทักษิณ ไทยได้มีการเจรจาซื้อก๊าซจากพม่ามาใช้งานภายในประเทศ งานนี้ทำให้รัฐบาลได้รับกำไรเนื้อ ๆ จากการนำก๊าซจากพม่ามาเป็นเชื้อเพลิง

รัฐบาล มีนโยบายหารายได้เข้ารัฐในด้านต่าง ๆ เช่นการนำเข้าเชื้อเพลิง การขึ้นภาษีสรรพสามิต และภาษีศุลกากร ฯลฯ การนำก๊าซจากพม่ามาเป็นเชื่อเพลิง ทำให้รัฐบาลได้รับกำไรเนื้อ ๆ ส่วนการขึ้นภาษีสรรพสามิตและภาษีศุลการกร ก็ทำให้รัฐได้รายได้เพิ่มจากผู้ที่ยังนิยมดื่มสุรา หรือใช้สินค้าแบรนด์เนม

It's not easy to tell the difference of them but for Thai people, we are used to with these sentences structure very well. We know how to write it correctly and it sounds poetic to us. :o

What do you think?

I think that we understand it and did from the first. I don't know why most people have put it in the past tense, have I missed something? If I understand เนื้อๆ it is superfluous if profit is just financial; can't see it in terms of quality. As far as illustrating a word in Lexitron, if it did that then its fine providing it wasn't เนื้อๆ