Changing A Bike

LivinLOS

I am finally going forward with a project I have been wanting to do for some time.. I have found a donor bike thats going to be the basis of a streetfighter and am in the process of doing registrations etc.

I have heard form someone who should know and whose opinion and comments I trust, that if you spray a bike and go to the DMV to change the registered color in the book, they wont do this without a paper from a registered paint shop ?? Anyone know anything ?? What makes a paint shop registered and able to provide this ??? I had cars painted in the past and this never came up ??

Secondly, the process of what I am doing is removing the fairings and changing the headlights, bar style, etc etc etc.. What I build will of course be safe, it will have lights and instrumentation in what I would consider in the west to remain 'legal'.. I have just been told if I do any obvious modifications, eg remove the fairings, the DMV will not authorise a name change after that point ?? Surely thats overkill ?? He showed me a chopper with a LED backlight with built in indicators and bar end turning signals, they wouldnt let this be sold and they are now rebuilding conventional looking signals and brake light cluster to make them happy. The mods I am making will be way more than simple cosmetics with new light clusters maybe a digital aftermarket speedo tach unit, etc etc..

I realize that this is probably location dependant but does anyone have input on modding and customising ?? I have seen guys with 4ft forks and ape hangers build around diy looking frames.. So surely my little ideas will work ??

Hi Livin LOS. I'm not a lawyer but I'll tell you what I have heard anecdotally. As you probabaly already know the chassis number & the engine number must match what's on the green book.

Bikes older than 5 years old must be inspected each year prior to renewal whereby they use tape & a pencil.

Here in Bangers they aren't too worried about the color. You can have it changed at DLT but it's no big deal & it's no big deal if you change the color & don't change the green book.

As far as removing farings - nonsense. How would they know?

Now Phuket may be different.

Best of Luck.

I think as long as those numbers match up you are fine. Paint it & then go ask. Formailty really. I'm pretty sure Somchai doesn't bother.

Yeah I just have some complexities that are personal and am working around them the safest way (I want the bike 'owned' by me or the missus now, but want it in another name later in the year, but by then it wont look the same).. Also in an ideal world I would like the bike to have the book 100% in line for name, color, etc.. This one will leave the country with me sometime and I dont mind sitting in a gov office for a day to keep everything straight. I am hopeful that I have a bit of credit in the DMV as I took the fat bird some cakes and she now does all my paperwork, rubs my hand, and makes puppy eyes at me. :o

The book / bike and number are all not only matched but in 100% legit status.. This bike was even in the recent Phuket customs money grab, and was released with a letter stating its been seized, inspected and passed, cant ask for more !

Of course I recognise TiT and whats OK in one place is not OK in another.. My bike guy yesterday told me with total certainty that any changes from 'standard' currently they are refusing name changes here.. He says they have pictures of model number to bike and even minor changes (he had a machine with bar end indicators and a changed rear light cluster right there being rebuilt) they refuse. He thinks once the fairing goes and the headlight setup is modded its mine forever. I was wondering if anyone said anything to ThaiCBR with his super sonic ??

The source for the paint needing a 'accredited' paint shop is also someone who would know his stuff, but thats maybe a Chiang Mai issue only as I have not heard that on Phuket.

Basically I am doing it no matter what the answer, I am just looking for the pitfalls and prattfalls first, in case anyones ever done similar.

Edited by LivinLOS