Strange Sign

Puwa

Biking the other day on the trails that behind the 700 year stadium, leading to Huay Tung Tao, I came across this sign. It reads, "For women, please do not go to the jungle alone again ok." It was posted on a tree (but had swung upside down), at the entrance to a path that climbs to an inside route to HTT reservoir. Does anyone know if something happened here, an attack, accident, injury?

jungle_sign.jpg

Yeah I found it pretty creepy too. It wasn't there last March, which was about the last time I rode that trail. Just to be clear, this was not on the paved jogging/biking path at the entrance of HTT, but on the dirt roads around the farms right at the foot of the hills. I don't want to scare anyone off the jogging path.

Actually it's already sort of a creepy trail in that you have to go through this weird tunnel-like growth of bushes, past a spot where (I believe) villagers discard the belongings of deceased relatives, which I think is a Hmong tradition. But then you come out on an overlook above the southwestern corner of the lake, and can enter free of charge.

By the way, another moo-ban is going up off the canal road, substantially cutting into the trail space.

Yeah I found it pretty creepy too. It wasn't there last March, which was about the last time I rode that trail. Just to be clear, this was not on the paved jogging/biking path at the entrance of HTT, but on the dirt roads around the farms right at the foot of the hills. I don't want to scare anyone off the jogging path.

Actually it's already sort of a creepy trail in that you have to go through this weird tunnel-like growth of bushes, past a spot where (I believe) villagers discard the belongings of deceased relatives, which I think is a Hmong tradition. But then you come out on an overlook above the southwestern corner of the lake, and can enter free of charge.

By the way, another moo-ban is going up off the canal road, substantially cutting into the trail space.

that is a creepy vibe of that little road. One late afternoon I was riding there and a bunch of gunshots rang out from some guys hunting or something in the woods right as I was passing by. Good thing I had the Ipod cranking or it would have freaked me out.

I think it free to enter the HTT park on a bicycle anyway but that trail is fun once in a while.

Where is the new moo-bahn your talking about? The one that is already mostly built on the entry road going to HTT?

I've got the qoutes a bit mixed. This quote is from" Puwa".

I think it free to enter the HTT park on a bicycle anyway ......

I've seen cyclists paying the 20 baht.

And I'm glad someone else is interested in getting in free. I walk quite often along those trails and paying 20baht three times a week just to walk in the country around the Lake is annoying.But I'm a bit hazy about your "coming out on an overlook at the SW corner of the Lake". Would that "overlook" have a couple of neglected goal posts still standing? If so, then" the trail" emerges onto the jogging trail near the Lake but in the area of a very small lake just near and below the Camping Grounds.But to get to the THE LAKE itself you then must struggle along a very narrow path ( from the jogging trail) next to a barbed wire fence with the small lake on your left to emerge, after 100 metres of brambles,into the Lake Grounds.

Its quite possible I'm mistaken about the exact whereabouts of your trail and I would welcome a more precise description of its exact location especially just where it emerges near the Lake and where it starts. I sometimes start from the main road, walking past a skeletal barn in the farm grounds. Am I anywhere near your trail? Sorry about the length of this query and I'm writing it without a map in front of me. But I'm dying to know how you get into the Lake area free and without scratches.

I've got the qoutes a bit mixed. This quote is from" Puwa".

I think it free to enter the HTT park on a bicycle anyway ......

I've seen cyclists paying the 20 baht.

And I'm glad someone else is interested in getting in free. I walk quite often along those trails and paying 20baht three times a week just to walk in the country around the Lake is annoying.But I'm a bit hazy about your "coming out on an overlook at the SW corner of the Lake". Would that "overlook" have a couple of neglected goal posts still standing? If so, then" the trail" emerges onto the jogging trail near the Lake but in the area of a very small lake just near and below the Camping Grounds.But to get to the THE LAKE itself you then must struggle along a very narrow path ( from the jogging trail) next to a barbed wire fence with the small lake on your left to emerge, after 100 metres of brambles,into the Lake Grounds.

Its quite possible I'm mistaken about the exact whereabouts of your trail and I would welcome a more precise description of its exact location especially just where it emerges near the Lake and where it starts. I sometimes start from the main road, walking past a skeletal barn in the farm grounds. Am I anywhere near your trail? Sorry about the length of this query and I'm writing it without a map in front of me. But I'm dying to know how you get into the Lake area free and without scratches.

when I go in the roadway on my bicycle I just tell the guy I paid yesterday "mir wan" and don't pay very often. Usually the guy just waves me in no charge. If you take the paved jogging path then there is a little gate and pedestrian entrance. Lots of cyclists and joggers come in that way and it's much easier and simpler than the trail to the west of the entry road. The jogging path is to the east of the entrance road and west of the canal road.

This quote is from" Puwa".

" But I'm dying to know how you get into the Lake area free and without scratches." Asmerom

when I go in the roadway on my bicycle I just tell the guy I paid yesterday "mir wan" and don't pay very often. Usually the guy just waves me in no charge. If you take the paved jogging path then there is a little gate and pedestrian entrance. Lots of cyclists and joggers come in that way and it's much easier and simpler than the trail to the west of the entry road. The jogging path is to the east of the entrance road and west of the canal road.

A little gate ? Pray, just where is this little gate? I know the jogging trail well, but I've seen no little gate to enter THE LAKE AREA, legally, without charge. Where the trail nears the LAKE it goes past one or two occupied houses with closed gates, washing on the line and a a small open stile presumably for their use only.Not a public path going through the grounds of an occupied house with the residents always there. Other than that no gates to be seen.

This quote is from" Puwa".

" But I'm dying to know how you get into the Lake area free and without scratches." Asmerom

A little gate ? Pray, just where is this little gate? I know the jogging trail well, but I've seen no little gate to enter THE LAKE AREA, legally, without charge. Where the trail nears the LAKE it goes past one or two occupied houses with closed gates, washing on the line and a a small open stile presumably for their use only.Not a public path going through the grounds of an occupied house with the residents always there. Other than that no gates to be seen.

yeah its a gate wide enough for a vehicle. To the right is a space for people to walk thru. The little road the gate fronts is the area of the public temple looking area. Anyway here is a google earth photo. Lots of joggers and cyclists cross into the park here every hour.

post-27132-1232637405_thumb.jpg

The new mooban is being built south of the now completed one. No buildings yet, but quite a large piece of land cleared. you can see it from the canal road.

Here's where I mean in HTT:

HTT.jpg

Edited by Puwa

HTT.jpg

Many thanks for the map. It beats 1000 words. As I half suspected, I was nowhere near those precise points you so helpfuly pinpoint. I was at the E side of the Lake where the jogging trail almost reaches the Lake, but not quite,where, it seems to me, strenuous efforts have been made to make the Lake area secure from the Jogging trail.

I can now begin to explore that Southern end hopefully fulfil my long held goal of getting in free. At the moment, I wouldn't know where to start in order to get there.On the "BIG MAP" I'm using, The Lake area surround is used as The Map's Legend and littered with map symbols with no geographical detail. I'd like a map that had the footpaths clearly marked but most Thais don't seem that keen on walking in an upward direction, more addicted to contour hugging.

The Golden Triangle map clearly marks forestry trails going from The Lake up to Doi Suthep 1685m. Are there maps for hikers which mark these trails clearly? I've tried unsuccessfully to locate the trails on the ground. Sorry Puwa to veer off course from your original "SIGN" post. I hope you feel its a useful development.

Edited by Asmerom

Many thanks for the map. It beats 1000 words. As I half suspected, I was nowhere near those precise points you so helpfuly pinpoint. I was at the E side of the Lake where the jogging trail almost reaches the Lake, but not quite,where, it seems to me, strenuous efforts have been made to make the Lake area secure from the Jogging trail.

I can now begin to explore that Southern end hopefully fulfil my long held goal of getting in free. At the moment, I wouldn't know where to start in order to get there.On the "BIG MAP" I'm using, The Lake area surround is used as The Map's Legend and littered with map symbols with no geographical detail. I'd like a map that had the footpaths clearly marked but most Thais don't seem that keen on walking in an upward direction, more addicted to contour hugging.

The Golden Triangle map clearly marks forestry trails going from The Lake up to Doi Suthep 1685m. Are there maps for hikers which mark these trails clearly? I've tried unsuccessfully to locate the trails on the ground. Sorry Puwa to veer off course from your original "SIGN" post. I hope you feel its a useful development.

Asmeron you missed my earlier post to show how to get into the park on the east side. It's much less effort and far better when conditions are muddy.

As for trails going up the mountain there are plenty but the best is the road at the Doi Suthep park entrance. It's rough and steep but suitable for motorbikes, pickup trucks, mountain bikes and hikers. It is very lightly traveled and has many smaller hiking paths branching off it. If you have the energy you can go all the way to Doi Pui or Mae Sa. It takes some trial and error because there are forks and some of the forks dead end but if you make the right choices then can go all the way to the top.

Here is a map. Just go on the dirt road at the very north top of HTT and follow the road west until you arrive to the Doi Suthep park entrance. 99% of the time it's unmanned but a few pesky dogs might bark at you. Just follow the jeep type road west up the mountain.

post-27132-1232683429_thumb.jpg

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Asmeron you missed my earlier post to show how to get into the park on the east side. It's much less effort and far better when conditions are muddy.

As for trails going up the mountain there are plenty but the best is the road at the Doi Suthep park entrance. It's rough and steep but suitable for motorbikes, pickup trucks, mountain bikes and hikers. It is very lightly traveled and has many smaller hiking paths branching off it. If you have the energy you can go all the way to Doi Pui or Mae Sa. It takes some trial and error because there are forks and some of the forks dead end but if you make the right choices then can go all the way to the top.

Here is a map. Just go on the dirt road at the very north top of HTT and follow the road west until you arrive to the Doi Suthep park entrance. 99% of the time it's unmanned but a few pesky dogs might bark at you. Just follow the jeep type road west up the mountain.

Its all a bit baffling at the moment as I thought I knew the Lake. Seems I don't know it as well as I thought. But before I ask any more questions I'll get my boots on. It will be good fun studying these posts and maps of yours which you are such a genius at getting to behave so well. Many thanks for your efforts. I appreciate it.