Pattaya Con-venience Stores Rise Price Of Chang Beer

syd barrett

From the stroke of midnight on Sunday 18th 2009 both Family Mart and 7-11 raised the price of Chang beer by 2 baht. This is a total of 5.55% on a big bottle and 10% on a small bottle.

I demanded to speak to the manager of 7-11 and she said the increase was due to present government taxation and nothing to do with 7-11 policy. The manager at Family Mart could not speak English or so she pretended, so I have no feedback from Family Mart yet.

On the 1st Feb the brewery's in the UK will raise the cost of beer to the pubs 7%, most probably meaning 20/25p on a pint at the pumps

I hear you bartender100, but considering this is a third world country the price of beer at the supermarket is way overpriced due to punitive taxes. 38 Baht for 640 ml of 6.4% beer equals 74 English pence.

In Britain, the most heavily taxed nation on earth, a 500ml can of electric soup * from Aldi can be had for under a quid.

* Electric soup being street-slang for super-lager at 9%

Edited by syd barrett

The horror, the HORROR !!

Listen......is that the sounds of Pattaya's expat population stampeding out of the city, looking for greener (cheaper) pastures ? :o

Not sure what I'd do if they suddenly jacked up the price of my Jack ! Probably have to start a protest group and a charity to help support me in my time of need ! :D

(note: you could always buy your beer from the bulk suppliers that supply all the little bars and shops. Quite a bit cheaper than the convenience stores, though you'd have to chill it yourself)

If you were a total pisshead and drank 10 bottles a day for 30 days that's an extra 600Baht :o

Sounds like you would be better off in your home country on your fixed income and you will get to roll your eyes at the foreigner on the cash register when he can't speak English to you either; and be justified.

Sounds like you would be better off in your home country and you will get to roll your eyes at the foreigner on the cash register when he can't speak English to you either; and be justified.

Are you suggesting that corner-shop shopkeepers in the U.K. are all Pakistani?

Price rises (inflation) or (tax) on beer in Thailand is getting out of control.

I'm not going home 'Sel' I'm here to stay until the day they put me on the bonfire in the wat.

And some people wonder why I tend to drink in bars that charge way over 100b just so I dont meet people like this :o:D

Good luck in your search for cheaper beers - I hear England is tanking - maybe you should go and head back.

And some people wonder why I tend to drink in bars that charge way over 100b just so I dont meet people like this :o:D

Good luck in your search for cheaper beers - I hear England is tanking - maybe you should go and head back.

I do not want to meet farangs at all there, many bad men

Is the price of milk also higher???

:o

There are two types of milk in Pattaya. One is 39 baht a bottle and made in a laboratory and then there is 100% milk which is from cows and tastes O.K. and costs 49 baht. Be careful to opt for CHOKCHAI FARM milk only available in big supermarkets not 7-11 or Family Mart.

To answer your question: "NO" the price of milk is not higher. Thank you for your input.

2 bht!!! Is this really an issue?

Yes!

From acorns grow oaks.

2 baht per bottle over a month is a considerable sum.

Most people who live in Pattaya are not rich. We are just surviving on a fixed income.

:D

Being rich doesn't come into it, How many bottles a week do you buy? :D

Is the price of milk also higher???

There are two types of milk in Pattaya. One is 39 baht a bottle and made in a laboratory and then there is 100% milk which is from cows and tastes O.K. and costs 49 baht. Be careful to opt for CHOKCHAI FARM milk only available in big supermarkets not 7-11 or Family Mart.

To answer your question: "NO" the price of milk is not higher. Thank you for your input.

I usually buy 5 liter "boxes" in Carrefour. Good to hear its not higher!

Kerryd

you could always buy your beer from the bulk suppliers

you mean like this ?

exactly right : )

buy it anytime of day with NO licencing laws , if its open they will sell it .

ahhhhh beer chang at 18 Baht a can .... mmmmmm

enjoy .... dave2

2bht? Fk me hope this is a windup thread!!! :D

Oh no, I do believe he/they are serious ! :wai:

With the recent drop in exchange rates vs the baht, and now a BT2 increase in the price of that stuff :D I fear many of Pattaya's residents are going to have to give up drinking (beer at least). :o

I hear Lao Khoa is still pretty cheap ! :D

Of course it's their own fault you know. This is Thailand. When sales slump what do you do ? Increase the price ! :D

If the expats of Pattaya had been drinking more beer to begin with, the retailers wouldn't have felt the need to increase the prices ! Simple (Thai) economics !

So whose fault is it really ? YOURS ! Not get out there and spend that dwindling fixed income of yours on beer. Help support the economy ! Skip the bangers & mash. The afternoon "tea". The monthly visa runs. Toilet paper.

Just buy beer and everything will be better !

(Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker !) :P

Of course it's their own fault you know. This is Thailand. When sales slump what do you do ? Increase the price ! :o

If the expats of Pattaya had been drinking more beer to begin with, the retailers wouldn't have felt the need to increase the prices ! Simple (Thai) economics !

So basically what you are saying is....its the Farangs fault again... :D .. bringing more sorrow on the poor Thai's in these times of economic hardship and with the impending THB 2 a bottle increase in a bottle of Chang, Thailand will not be able to meet its goal of becoming the regional hub of beer drinking..

In order to alleviate this problem, the goverment intends to make harder for the undesirable types, (Cheap Charlies) to procure long term visa's, stating they only want retiree's in Thailand who can afford to drink in Pattaya or Bangkok A go A go's at least 3 times a week.

A police crackdown is impending.

All Farangs retirees over the age of 50 purchasing single bottles of Chang at local 7/11's or similar establishments will be arrested,deported and refused further entry to Thailand until such time that the person concerned can prove he or she has the fianacial means to purchase at least one case of Chang per week for period of 52 weeks (receipts will need to be kept) after which immigration can reinstate the persons annual visa privilages.

:D

From the stroke of midnight on Sunday 18th 2009 both Family Mart and 7-11 raised the price of Chang beer by 2 baht. This is a total of 5.55% on a big bottle and 10% on a small bottle.

I demanded to speak to the manager of 7-11 and she said the increase was due to present government taxation and nothing to do with 7-11 policy. The manager at Family Mart could not speak English or so she pretended, so I have no feedback from Family Mart yet.

Well, what to do you expect to get as reply?

Pay it or leave it.

The local management of any 7/11 or Family Mart are not responsible for the price increases!