Mulling Buying A Used Volvo Xc 90 And Brand New Fortuner

Metalgear

Hi,

I am now mulling getting a used Volvo XC 90 (year 2004) or a Brand New Toyota Fortuner. I have pondered over the technical facts about both cars but still unsure if there will be difficulties re-selling the Volvo. Does anyone have any experiences with these two cars? Any feedback shall be appreciated. Thank you very much.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Volvo as it is a car based estate and has so many extras and in a different class....... the Brand New Toyota Fortuner at the end of the day is still a pickup with an SUV body.

As the Volvo is a 2004 and NOT a Toyota/Honda then the Volvo is less then half the price it cost when new.

In say 4 years time the Volvo [8yrs old] would lose about the same as the Fortuner [4yr old]

Volvo as it is a car based estate and has so many extras and in a different class....... the Brand New Toyota Fortuner at the end of the day is still a pickup with an SUV body.

So in other words the Fortuner is as tough as a Pick up truck, and you see many many very old pick ups in Thailand carrying huge loads for many miles, and those pick ups just keep rolling on.

I bought an old Nissan Pick up a few years ago and that thing has been weighed down with enormous loads, yet it still keeps going, incredible truck.

A car chassied pick up truck doing the same thing would have collapsed.

Go for The Fortuner.

He did not say he wanted to carry

enormous loads

For around the same price he could also get a 2-3 year old Landrover Freelander/Discovery they come in manual or Auto, Petrol or Diesel.

There are also not in the same class as the Volvo, you just need to read the spec on all..

or what about a new Subaru Forester same sort of price/size but also fully kitted out

Depends what the Volvo/Fortuner is wanted for ? I would say visit a dealer/tent and test drive a Volvo, and test drive the new Fortuner..

Everywhere you go you see a Toyota Fortuner

Edited by ignis

I wonder why that is ? :o

I's all down to value for money.

I'd like a BMW X5, but the 7,600,000 Baht price tag is somewhat too expensive for me, the Fortuner at 1,250,000 is a bargain in comparison.

Edited by Maigo6

Very simple we are in Thailand, to most Thais there are only 2 names Toyota or Honda. regardless on what they look like or drive like., ask a Thai there answer is simple any garage/workshop repair man can fix. There are 1,000's of fake/copy parts for a Toyota, every item can be bought as a 'copy' around 37% cheaper for a good copy, even down to the normal service parts. Top quality bumpers wing mirrors and oil/diesel filter are around 55% cheaper for top 'copy' parts.

[edit] the boxes can be bought cheaply so if the customer want to see the part in a original Toyota box, no problems

Edited by ignis

I went to buy a Fortuner, but got a nicely kitted out Hilux instead. The main reason, other than the huge difference in price, was that I couldn't fit behind the wheel. I'm a large guy, not huge - 5'10" and 100kgs. So if you're not small, go check that out first. It appears a lot smaller on the inside than the outside - kinda the opposite of the Tardis :-P

Yes a problem with many Japanese cars, I find Toyota the worst and in all models there's also a problem with my feet, or rather where to put them.. I'm 6'3" and 138kgs, and have size 48 feet [13/14" UK size]

To have custom made runners for the seat would lose any leg room for the passenger behind the driver

Edited by ignis

Anyway, I have had a Fortuner for Just over 3 years, it has never given me one problem.

In the UK I had a 735i BMW and that thing cost me a fortune just keeping it running, I have never had a motor as reliable as the Fortuner.

I have pulled 2WD pick ups out of ditches without even knowig they are there, there is that much torque, put in low gear and it will pull a Jumbo Jet.

Unless you have a shedload of money to keep a second hand Volvo running, get The Fortuner.

After having used SUV’s similar to Fortuner for ten years I bought a new Volvo Estate last year. It has so far lived up to my expectations and I am happy with the car. Speaking from an economical view I still find it too expansive compared to Fortuner or the new Pajero

Come on...are you kidding me...the only sensible choice is the Fortuner. Think servicing and parts availability. All those Euro imports are for hi-so Thais and Farangs with small parts who need to show-off.

If you want something build on a car platform, go for a Honda CRV or Chevy Captiva.

Thank you all for the tips and opinion. I really appreciate it. I can understand the tax part. Its no point paying all these taxes for nothing at all and I guess, buying a used volvo would rid most of the tax. A new one would cost between 3.5-4 million baht but I think 1.5-1.6 million would be already rid of most of the tax.

I like the Fortuner and I think it is not bad value for the money, but because safety, comfort and space is more important, I think a used volvo would be reasonable. I also found out that there is a car diagnosis company called Test Car which will do a comprehensive diagnosis on a used car and check if there are any major faults or parts that have been worned out and need changes. I have considered the Captiva, but with chevrolet being in financial trouble, I am worried that there is a psychological impact on consumer's interest in the future. I also like the Freelander. Its a good and safe car. The only thing is its smaller size compared to the Volvo.

The New Fortuner 3.0 diesel with GPS navigator would cost slightly more than 1.4 million baht while a used volvo cost 1.65 million baht. Assuming that I can avoid as much as possible buying a bad shape volvo by putting it to proper diagnosis to keep the maintenance cost down before buying, think the Volvo is a better deal.

One thing I like about European cars is that most of them can withstand a higher mileage before the next scheduled service, unlike Japanese, for every 5K or 10K KM used, there is a need to change the engine oil. I owned a used BMW 3 series in Malaysia before and it only cost me 4000 baht per year for maintenance compared to a Toyota altis which I had to spend at least 16,000 baht a year for servicing alone. Continental cars are only expensive when in an accident, where cheaper insurance policies carry higher access fees.

Once again, Thank you for your feed back.

XC90, hands down, no question. It is a superior vehicle is every way imaginable - if you're not bothered with the extra maintenance cost (do you really want fake toyota parts anyway? That's like getting copies of crappy originals!)

Sweden > Japan

Just my opinion, Fortuner brigade please no need to defend your cars to me, I know you think they are 'value for money' :o

edit: OK fine Volvo is owned by Ford now, but I argue it's still very Swedish.

Edited by jcon

most large Continental cars of 4 years old are one owner, many are Company Director owned.. Unlike the UK where these cars are changed every 2 or 3 years, here they appear to not change them for many years, when I was looking around in September last year there were a lot of 8 - 12 year old with one owner/company owned cars for sale, most were low mileage and A1+ condition.

I was looking for a Saab 9-3, but could not find one for sale, I looked at 100's of different cars over 4 weeks, ended up buying a Audi A6 one owner is top condition, there is simply no comparison to the Jazz I exchanged it for, the Jazz I bought new 4 years previous. [hate the new Jazz]

I had the diesel Fortuner for 2 years. At the time I wanted to buy a new car, I had a second hand XC90 on trial for 2 weeks. I really liked the XC90, very comfortable, all the gadgets and a sunroof, what put me off it was the high price, there was some rattling coming from the front right suspension and the turning circle was terrible, e.g.. if I was in a small soi and wanted to do a 3 point turn, it would end up being a 5 point turn! I then test drove the diesel Fortuner and the Mitsubishi Space Wagon. I was blown away with the handling and power of the Fortuner, the Space Wagon was more comfortable inside and had more gadgets, but the handling felt looser to me, I could lose the back end easier.

So the way I see it, is the Fortuner is the best value for money, the Volvo would be more for piece of mind and deeper pockets! I recently got rid of the Fortuner to get a car that both myself and my better half can use, the Fortuner was too big for her to drive!

XC90, hands down, no question. It is a superior vehicle is every way imaginable - if you're not bothered with the extra maintenance cost (do you really want fake toyota parts anyway? That's like getting copies of crappy originals!)

Are you saying that Toyota dealerships in Thailand use fake parts, if you are, this would be a cause for concern, care to enlighten me to this fake parts scam ?

Edited by Maigo6

do you really want fake toyota parts anyway? That's like getting copies of crappy originals!

No not 100% true, some of the 'copies' are made better than the originals. only for the dealers there is a 50% mark up..

Just my opinion, Fortuner brigade please no need to defend your cars to me, I know you think they are 'value for money' :D

You mean my Fortuner that has been a faithful and loyal servant to me for over 3 years never once letting me down is poor value for money ? :D

Oh My God !!! Quick, I'll rush out and buy a European Car in Thailand that costs 4 x more than a Fortuner.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Tell me , can you be my financial adviser please. :o

do you really want fake toyota parts anyway? That's like getting copies of crappy originals!

No not 100% true, some of the 'copies' are made better than the originals. only for the dealers there is a 50% mark up..

So that's why Japanese Cars have such poor reliability, I've ofetn wondered why they are always breaking down, now I know.

Thanks guys, I'm really learning a lot on this thread. :o

Are you saying that Toyota dealerships in Thailand use fake parts, if you are, this would be a cause for concern, care to enlighten me to this fake parts scam ?

Toyota No, every Thai made car/SUV/Pickup and Trucks, there sold along side the genuine parts by the same salesman/parts distributors, for most Thais a copy is just fine as long as it is cheaper. TIT

Yeah, but they are probably made at the same factories that supply parts to genuine Toyota service centers.

And it's not like you'll get only genuine Volvo parts for XC90.

Second hand Volvo doesn't cost that much, I think it's a reasonable choice, but don't forget that it's probably off warranty already.

I don't believe that running costs on Volvo would be cheaper and you won't need service every 10k km or so.

Still, the price difference is not that big, tough choice.

Very simple we are in Thailand, to most Thais there are only 2 names Toyota or Honda. regardless on what they look like or drive like.

And the fact that European Imported cars cost 5 times as much may also be a factor.

And the fact that European Imported cars cost 5 times as much may also be a factor.

New yes, but we were talking about a second hand Volvo.. which had lost over 2 million baht in 4 years

Put a Toyota Corona/corolla with 6 previous owners next to a Volvo 850 1 owner, both the same year and price, most would not even look at the Volvo, or for that matter a newer Skoda, Citroen Xantia, Saab 9000, Peugeot 306 or 406 all at the same price, yet as you said some cost 5 times more when new + are loaded with kit compared to a Corolla

New yes, but we were talking about a second hand Volvo.. which had lost over 2 million baht in 4 years

I guess that's why people choose a Fortuner over the Volvo, you cannot lose 2 Million Baht on a Fortuner as they only cost 1.25 Mill to start with.

I see that a Volvo or BMW SUV would be desirable, but in Thailand, I think it just don't make sense, they are just too expensive.