Khun Han

dumspero

Hello all-

Am just back from Thailand and Cambodia. We spent some time up in Khun Han in Sisaket where my girlfriend is from (she's still in Thailand, while this one, tragically, had to get back to work sooner). Had not been to that part of Isaan before, but it seemed quite nice--suppose the unusually cool weather was likely a factor.

A surprisingly large crowd of farangs, especially over to the Tesco Lotus, I think it was, in Kantharalak. And the ones we met eyes with even returned a smile and hello. Just like the Thais with whom we met eyes--imagine that--common courtesy and friendliness in a small town! The young farang woman on the back of a guy's scooter at the Khun Han morning market was another story--they both stared at us hard and long, and then she quickly turned her head away when I smiled and waved. Oh well, guess in her 'authentic Thai experience' in the small town she hasn't yet picked up on the charming friendliness in such small towns.

In any event, that minor rant aside, what do members here think about Khun Han? A nice place? Anyone on here live there?

Cheers.

Hello all-

Am just back from Thailand and Cambodia. We spent some time up in Khun Han in Sisaket where my girlfriend is from (she's still in Thailand, while this one, tragically, had to get back to work sooner). Had not been to that part of Isaan before, but it seemed quite nice--suppose the unusually cool weather was likely a factor.

A surprisingly large crowd of farangs, especially over to the Tesco Lotus, I think it was, in Kantharalak. And the ones we met eyes with even returned a smile and hello. Just like the Thais with whom we met eyes--imagine that--common courtesy and friendliness in a small town! The young farang woman on the back of a guy's scooter at the Khun Han morning market was another story--they both stared at us hard and long, and then she quickly turned her head away when I smiled and waved. Oh well, guess in her 'authentic Thai experience' in the small town she hasn't yet picked up on the charming friendliness in such small towns.

In any event, that minor rant aside, what do members here think about Khun Han? A nice place? Anyone on here live there?

Cheers.

I visit Khun Han regularly (4-5 times a year) 1-2 weeks at a time (actually a small Tambon 5km south of Khun Han)

This area is real country, very quiet and local.

People tend to speak the lao dialect (depends on the Tambon as some speak the Khmer dialect)

Locals are very friendly but obviously very interested in the local farang when he is in town.....(what he does, wears, eats, etc.)

ADSL does not extend very far out of the Khun Han Amphoe area and the only western influence are the 2 Tescos (Katalarak and Khu Kan)

Water is mostly from wells for non-drinking and rain water for drink and cooking

The Amphoe and villages are dead quiet after 9pm but all are awake by sunrise

Only one bank (Krung Thai) but also an ATM (when it works) of SCB.

Daily trips to the market (early morning and/or early evening) for food and small necessities

Regular big market (mainly clothes and small housewares) are held on the main central place in front of the Amphoe

Local hospital is small but adequate (was treated there myself for Dengue and family kids for teeth check-ups)

Very few eating out places, need to drive to Sisaket.

Very nice waterfalls south of Khun Han towards the Cambodian border (no crossings)

Near to immigration offices in Phu Sing and Kap Cheong

A six hours drive to/from the new Bangkok airport

Planning to spend longer periods in the village and eventually retire 100% with the odd trip to the city for some western food

Edited by Krub

Actually..........you don't need to go to Sisaket :o

I know of at least one option if you venture east across the border into Ubon Province. :D

I know of at least one option if you venture east across the border into Ubon Province. :D

Yes Trond you are right it probably is the nearest to Khun Han, I believe it is a very nice place where you can relax, sleep and dine

The place is called Suan Loong Daeng and is very convenient to visit the local Khmer Temples

The website is :

http://www.suanloongdaengfarmstay.com/

hmm, some of my gf's family is from this vicinity of sisaket as well i believe, the other part in ubon. She says this part of her family is kohn kmane (khmer) whilst the other part is Lao from ubon... yet the khmer family in sisaket speaks Lao; only the ancient greatgrandmother speakes khmer.... I've always wondered about the history here- apparently this family can't even speak Thai. Do these people feel allegiance to the King, or do they get offended if you call them Lao or Khmer? Have these khmer been there since antiquity, i.e. descendants of the temple builders, or did they move across the border in the last century? what is the general interaction/perceptions between khmer-isaan and lao-isaan? I wish I could speak the language, but my perception is that it's fairly a lighthearted thing and the subject of good cheer, no one gets too riled up about ethnicity.

Yes Trond you are right it probably is the nearest to Khun Han, I believe it is a very nice place where you can relax, sleep and dine

The place is called Suan Loong Daeng and is very convenient to visit the local Khmer Temples

The website is :

Do you have to do it in that order??

Dave

The website is :

Dave

Dave......... I think you can make your own order and even add drinking to the list :D

The website is :

Dave

As they say around here 'up to you'

Enjoy