Embezzling Charity

The_Moog

I lived in Indonesia for a year recently, and I didn't meet one person in business, civil service or politics who didn't have his hand in the cash register.

(Right now the Aceh Governor is on trial for corruption - and I met several Regional Governors - who, like him, were all thieves)

I recall aid being given to Western Samoa a few years ago and the aid cheque was split 40 ways and simply 40 cheques handed to the 40 Members of Parliament.

So my question to you is.....is charitable aid being handed out directly, or are local Governments insisting on being used as intermediaries?

So my question to you is.....is charitable aid being handed out directly, or are local Governments insisting on being used as intermediaries?

I know with the Canadian aid sent to Indo it consisted of supplies flown in by the air force and debt repayments being waived, but no actual cash. Think it'll be different for every country.

cv

I lived in Indonesia for a year recently, and I didn't meet one person in business, civil service or politics who didn't have his hand in the cash register.

(Right now the Aceh Governor is on trial for corruption - and I met several Regional Governors - who, like him, were all thieves)

I recall aid being given to Western Samoa a few years ago and the aid cheque was split 40 ways and simply 40 cheques handed to the 40 Members of Parliament.

Along the same lines, People who are donating cash for the disaster, need to be careful who they are sending money to.....Send money to only reputable and well known organisations...there are probably some bogus ones around.

Skimming off will always happen. From previous experiences in Africa I've learned that the best way to reduce this, is to establish direct contacts with the community of choice to be supported.

If a community in, say Europe, adopts a community say in Indo, it can establish low level contacts and adjust supply to needs. Because we're talking relatively lower sums here, the temptations are somewhat less. It will require additional efforts from the adopting community, but it turns out to be satisfactory in effectiveness.

The method is however only applicable when we enter the reconstruction phase.

Sounds like the donors have done the right thing by bringing in aid directly, using transport planes and aircraft carriers.

Indonesian bureaucrats will be fuming, as this was a chance for a big cash-grab . They would have creamed off as much as they could have gotten away with - 25%, 30% - without a flicker of conscience.

I see they are now asking the IMF for a loan moratorium (in some last ditch attempt at squeeze). IMF is quite rightly stalling and probably saying 'what has this to do with Aceh?'....for which a suitable excuse - akin to moral blackmail - will no doubt be proffered.

Sadly, this is a boon for the corrupt official, as they now have Tiow money for Paris, booty call.

Sad, these charities will see little into the the real people who need things.

Adm cost are hire, voluteers "may" abuse

And this is an opportune time for those Turkey to do.. a mass corrupt operations..

Well.. how do we deal with this. volunteer your time, not money, if you can do something for somebody who needs it on a one to one level.. Then DO.. it.

Of course not all organization in th eNGO relief area are not terrible..

But Billions are being pumped to Thailand.. and pennies are getting tot he people.

JUST the same. but kudos.. to all those who make a difference and help..

Thought and prayers to all