Why Do You Stay In Thailand?

henryalleman

I do wonder why many of the complainers, who against better judgement still like to stay in Thailand.

A few of their complaints.

Expensive, cheating women, border runs, idiot people, idiot government, foreigner unfriendly, the list is almost endlessly.

Why many of them buried themselves in some remote Island village or in Pattaya or some touristic place overwhelmed by tourists.

For myself I used to live in an 24/7 vibrant international metropolitan town, with all the possibilities of London, New York or Paris, like shopping, dining out and a rich cultural life who is hardly to match even in Bangkok. And yes all kind of female relationships is also not an problem and is also widely available.There are a lot of mature attractive and available women over here for people my age with no hassles at all.

I live an comfortable life and have no problems(financially or legally) what so ever back home, and I can benefit from an excellent health care and social services of all kind for the senior citizens, what is not provided in Thailand.

Therefore its an enigma why some people moving to Thailand.

So why I will move to Thailand.

1- I'm a retiree and have no children or family,and my wife (senior citizen also) like to spend the winter or her life next to her family that she did miss for more than 30 years. And whom am I to deny her that little happiness.

2-Despite the strong baht, life is still less expensive than back home and I will have an indexed pension that meet the wage of an Thai higher management wage. So I can have just that little bit extra luxury more than back home.

3- I have no Thai family who i have to support (very important reason, because I don't like to be an walking ATM).

4- I'm still in good health and my wife give me my personal freedom :o

5- I have no urge to go to Pattaya (never been there) or other tourist places

6- I can stay in Bangkok, can not imaging staying in some village in Isan or up North.

7- Don't need to hang around and listen to whining and complaining expats in some beer bar, or to there fantasy stories about how well off the are and about there cheating Thai girlfriends.

8- I'm coming already 30 years to the country, so I know the loopholes and dangers. I'm coming with an realistic view and false expectations and prepared myself for more than 10 years before making the decision.

I open up, and tell frankly about my personal reasons for staying in LOS.

So come on guys what are your real reasons why you stay in Thailand, lets call a spade a spade and tell us frankly.

I would ask you kindly to stay on the topic, because otherwise it will become the same boring whining and complaining comments as usual and that will benefit nobody.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wonder why many of the complainers, who against better judgement still like to stay in Thailand.

Expensive, cheating women, border runs, idiot people, idiot government, foreigner unfriendly, the list is almost endlessly.

Why many of them buried themselves in some remote Island village or in Pattaya or some touristic place overwhelmed by tourists.

For myself I used to live in an 24/7 vibrant international metropolitan town, with all the possibilities of London, New York or Paris, like shopping, dining out and a rich cultural life who is hardly to match even in Bangkok. And yes all kind of female relationships is also not an problem and is also widely available.There are a lot of mature attractive and available women over here for people my age with no hassles at all.

I live an comfortable life and have no problems(financially or legally) what so ever back home, and I can benefit from an excellent health care and social services of all kind for the senior citizens, what is not provided in Thailand.

1- I'm a retiree and have no children or family,and my wife (senior citizen also) like to spend the winter or her life next to her family that she did miss for more than 30 years. And whom am I to deny her that little happiness.

2-Despite the strong baht, life is still less expensive than back home and I will have an indexed pension that meet the wage of an Thai higher management wage. So I can have just that little bit extra luxury more than back home.

3- I have no Thai family who i have to support (very important reason, because I don't like to be an walking ATM).

6- I can stay in Bangkok, can not imaging staying in some village in Isan or up North.

7- Don't need to hang around and listen to whining and complaining expats in some beer bar, or to there fantasy stories about how well off the are and about there cheating Thai girlfriends.

8- I'm coming already 30 years to the country, so I know the loopholes and dangers. I'm coming with an realistic view and false expectations and prepared myself for more than 10 years before making the decision.

So come on guys what are your real reasons why you stay in Thailand, lets call a spade a spade and tell us frankly.

I would ask you kindly to stay on the topic, because otherwise it will become the same boring whining and complaining comments as usual and that will benefit nobody.

I chose to live in the UK with my Thai wife,,,,,,,its not the easiest route,, but for ME it was the best choice ,, mabe if I had taken the easy way and shacked up in the LOS ? full time I to would be bored out me skull , and end up getting beered up and depressed everyday, and bitch about on here attacking all and sundry,, just look at the times a lot of these posts are made in the LOS ? Mabe this gives you a clue as to why people carry on like this ,,,,,,,, I can only guess at it for you ,, because I hardly think your gonna get anyone come on here and admit the truth to you, mind you to be truthfull I have an alchoholic brother in the UK and he has behaved in exactly the same way,alienating what few friends he did have ,,,, pointing the finger at everyone else ,, creating a huge smokescreen so he can hide behind it and say ,its not me , its all you others, Funny thing is on the occasion he is sober he cannot remember any of it , Happy camping !!!!!!!!

I'm sold. !!!!!!

the devil??

Or you are stingy

4- I'm still in good health and my wife give me my personal freedom :D

you must be going throw a lot of socks.

you cant aford to travel ?

Fantasy on a cheating girl? <deleted>?

:o

who is franky?

I do also not understand why so many stay there and criticise everything. If you do not like Thailand, just get out and go home! (If you can)

You are a guest there, I think most forgot this.

I don't agree. People who have lived here for YEARS are MORE than guests. Not legally, usually. But PSYCHOLOGICALLY. I see nothing wrong with caring about where you live, enough to bitch about things when you want to as well.

Edited by Jingthing

I do also not understand why so many stay there and criticise everything. If you do not like Thailand, just get out and go home! (If you can)

I don't agree. People who have lived here for YEARS are MORE than guests. Not legally, usually. But PSYCHOLOGICALLY. I see nothing wrong with caring about where you live, enough to bitch about things when you want to as well.

Then they are year long guests. Just accept it as it is.

You are suggesting people to accept something that is CRAZY. But if that is how you want to look at it, good for you, but maybe you should consider not telling other people how to feel or react. To my view, for long term expats here, it is not a black and white thing, it is layered and complex.

Edited by Jingthing

Now and then I think to myself what am I doing here?

Then something always comes along to surprise me, stupid little things like a complete stranger inviting me to share their meal with them, 10 people turning up in a pickup on the off chance I'll want to go out to the local reservoir with them, all sorts of things. Then I realise that Thailand still has the capacity to surprise me. The UK has no such capacity.

Sure it's getting more expensive, but it's still far greater value for money than the UK for most things (note I say most). The visa situation is a pain, but I can deal with it. The people can be a bit stupid, but look around you, are you telling me the local farang population isn't more stupid overall? Farangs get charged more than locals definately, so be wise, send the misses in alone to make major purchases. It can all be worked around.

So I guess the simple answer to why I still stay in Thailand is that I like it, not all of it, but more of it than just about anywhere else I have lived (and I've lived in a fair few countries).

I stay in thailand because I simply love the place, the culture, weather, food and the most lovely people in the world. My loving true faithful wife and my son. I simply can not find a thing to complain about about this country. Never been to Bangkok or the southern tourist hub or sex spots such as Pattaya and have urge to do so. I live in Chiangmai a beautiful peaceful quiet area with wonderful people.

i prefer Thailand's moderate and cool weather to Germany's year round tropical heat. what i enjoy too is the local infrastructure, e.g. lightning fast internet connection, the discipline which prevails in traffic (no rowdies speeding like on german autobahns), the integrity of government officials is heartwarming and refreshing when compared to the widespread corruption in Europe :o

The stupidest quote of the year. Accept it as it is. ??? Don't you have a brain? Aren't you able to think independently? Are you afraid to stand by your own principles. You don't have to accept anything in this life. Did the Brits, the French, the Yanks accept naziism? Not all Iraqis accepted Sadam.

You are entitled to your views and principles of course but let others have their opinions too

i prefer Thailand's moderate and cool weather to Germany's year round tropical heat. what i enjoy too is the local infrastructure, e.g. lightning fast internet connection, the discipline which prevails in traffic (no rowdies speeding like on german autobahns), the integrity of government officials is heartwarming and refreshing when compared to the widespread corruption in Europe :o

The Thai concept of honesty, fair play, and caring for others are also good examples other countries could follow.

Where else in the world is a foreigner treated as if he is an ordinary person like other Thais? Where else is he not differentiated against? No, there is nothing wrong with this country. The Thais have got it spot on.

Must go now, as I think I am about to wake up from the dream.

Many of us have economic choices, therefore we do not have to stay in Thailand, therefore we do not have the same level of emotionally attachment to Thailand. We do not feel the need to sugar coat Thailand's warts the same way we do not downplay our own countries short comings. We look at life here from a logical perspective, and do not feel the need to buy into the general propaganda.

Similarly, you will be shocked to know that many Thais are the same way. And, comically, there are also plenty of other Thais who have no problem telling these Thais that they should leave Thailand. So I guess its just human nature, that is, sheepish people and independent logically thinking people.

Like everywhere there are plusses and minusses.

For us, since I travel on business quite a bit the fact that we can have help in either the form of an affordable nanny or my wife's family is a large factor. A bit tougher to afford good help in the States.

This gives us quite a bit more freedom as a family, if we want to go out for dinner or to the beach it is just easier.

I think its in most people's nature to complain from time to time,nothing wrong with being grumpy as long as its not all the time.

Thailand can get into a farangs blood,the women,the climate,the cheaper cost of living etc.Just now many are suffering cos of exchange rates and low interest on earnings and all of a sudden it makes thailand appear expensive.So this increases the complaining.

If and when the SH-T

dam_n hit the wrong key................was going to say when the sh-t hits the fan either through no more money or poor health,most westerners can return home plead their case to social services(thais dont have this option)but think no one really wants to leave thailand,their is a magic here that no one really wants to leave.

I remember years ago sitting at a train station in the UK,and i overheard a young guy talking into his moble phone saying that he could not afford to go back to asia but that he had asia in his blood and not being able to go back was driving him crazy...................he actually sounded quite distressed,and i could empathise with him...........i knew what he meant.

The same people that are unhappy in Thailand I think would be unhappy where ever they were. Grass is always greener. My best friend is always thinking someplace else is better than where he is right now until he goes. He always comes back crowing about how good it is in Thailand and how his home country has so many more problems than the last time he was there. BUT wait 6 months and he is the same whining unhappy person he was, telling me he is going to leave the first chance he gets. Being unhappy is some peoples natural state of being.

For me its slow, its easy, its home. There is always going to be something you don't like about where you are.