Cheap Charlie's Bar Soi 11 Rant

thaidiver

Was walking by Soi 11 yesterday and hadn't been to Cheap Charlie's in about 6 months, so decided to stop in for a beer. Before ordering I looked up at the drink menu and they had covered the old prices with new prices. Now 70 baht for all local pisswater! No air conditioning, horrible splintering tree stump seating, a toilet where " you can pee but no shit". I voted with me feet and will not soon return.

Now at Soi Cowboy happy hour can be had for as little as 40 baht a beer, sitting in air condition comfort surrounded by dancing damsels. See ya " not so cheap charlie's"!

Was walking by Soi 11 yesterday and hadn't been to Cheap Charlie's in about 6 months, so decided to stop in for a beer. Before ordering I looked up at the drink menu and they had covered the old prices with new prices. Now 70 baht for all local pisswater! No air conditioning, horrible splintering tree stump seating, a toilet where " you can pee but no shit". I voted with me feet and will not soon return.

Now at Soi Cowboy happy hour can be had for as little as 40 baht a beer, sitting in air condition comfort surrounded by dancing damsels. See ya " not so cheap charlie's"!

hmmm, what was their price before? 60 baht mate? Unlike bars at Cowboy, CC and the like are reliant on booze sales for a profit.

I wonder how you reacted when the taxi fares went up for the first time ever a few months back - do you now use your feet?

Edited by bkkjames

hmmm, what was their price before? 60 baht mate? Unlike bars at Cowboy, CC and the like are reliant on booze sales for a profit.

I wonder how you reacted when the taxi fares went up for the first time ever a few months back - do you now use your feet?

No I don't use my feet, I use the bus and head for Pattaya!

Are you calling him a cheap Charlie?Just curious.

I suggest that you try dialing whine-one-one, and asking them to send you a waaaaaaaaahhhmbulance.......

Give the OP a break. He does have a point.

70Baht a beer to sit in the street is taking the p*ss.

See how many are sitting there when the weather gets hotter.

Maybe just call it 'Charlie's Bar' from now on

Obviously you havent been to soi 8 bar in the evening, outside area is packed with people drinking 70 baht beer, try cowboy until 830ish, outside areas full because of the same reason.

I was a regular at Cheap Charlie's but not anymore.

It's not the fact that the prices for a beer ahve gone up 10 baht. I'm lucky i don't have to worry about money too much here in Thailand.

It's not the fact that the toilet and bar are dirty. You could argue that's part of the charm?

BUT what does chip me off is the service. It's not unusual to stand and wait 5-10 minutes to get served and the owner, Satit doesn't give a dam_n. I'm not the only one who has mentioned it. He wont get in any help behind the bar even though he's making fortune out of that place. As i said i was a regular and i know.

What are we paying more money for? I'm in the restaurant business and poor service, especially in Thailand really annoys me.

My two cents worth.

I walked by CCs the other night on the way home... maybe middle of the evening.. The kiosk was packed with farang...now ensconced behind a low metal chain and poles fence to separate them from traffic on that small part of the side soi...

I'm not a big fan of nights out drinking with gaggles many other farang.. But from the looks of the evening... CC's isn't hurting too much by the reported price increase. For tourists from out of town, give or take $2 for a beer might seem like a pretty great bargain....

But the notion of sitting outside clustered around a small wood hut serving beer on a nothing mini side soi in BKK (although Sabai Sabai massage and nice eateries are nearby) doesn't do much to light my fire, IMHO -- whether the price is 60 or 70 baht per bottle/can/cup/ or whatever...

If you really want to be CHEAP, go to the local 7... buy yourself some packs of Leo or Singh for 35-45 baht per bottle (I think), and take them home for your own outdoors party... Now that's being really cheap. :o

Obviously you havent been to soi 8 bar in the evening, outside area is packed with people drinking 70 baht beer, try cowboy until 830ish, outside areas full because of the same reason.

I think they're doing that in soi 8 as they can't smoke inside.

'Cheap Charlie's' has always been an outside bar and so the

punters can light up without a thought.

As for 'Cowboy', I'm sure it's the same reason. . . . smoking.

I just think that the OP has a point when he says that said bar

should lose the 'Cheap' from it's handle. I tend to agree.

i like cheap charlies

it reminds me of all the traditional shit-hole pubs you get in ireland

so the price of a beer has gone up 10THB?

it's not that big a deal

how much is it to sit outside and have a beer in Zanzibar just around the corner?

Cheap Charlies serves it's purpose. It looks quaint, foreigners like to sit outside and have a chat before moving on to a club, it's a bit of an institution. Do you also notice the sign that says something like "no hookers" there? That made me laugh. However, Satit is a grumpy unfriendly bar steward that seems to hate his customers. Glasses are filthy.

70 Bt a Pint aint Cheap.. :D

.in real dosh about £1-50...me thinks will stick to my local weatherforks which flogs it at 99p a pint..@ 46 Bt.....thats CHEAP.

everyone in LOS must be LOADED nowadays...cheap...harrup :o

I think they're doing that in soi 8 as they can't smoke inside.

'Cheap Charlie's' has always been an outside bar and so the

punters can light up without a thought.

As for 'Cowboy', I'm sure it's the same reason. . . . smoking.

I just think that the OP has a point when he says that said bar

should lose the 'Cheap' from it's handle. I tend to agree.

Sorry, but in Soi 8 bar you can smoke inside. Some people like to sit outside and just watch the world go by.

stick with soi cowboy then, who needs yah?

No I don't use my feet, I use the bus and head for Pattaya!

not surprised by that at all, pattaya, soi cowboy ... anyone see a pattern?

Yes, full of old men. The refreshing thing about Charlie's (I think they dropped the word 'Cheap' from the sign, correct me if I'm wrong) is that you get farang of all ages, and not just men.

Yes, full of old men.

The refreshing thing about Charlie's (I think they dropped the word 'Cheap' from the sign, correct me if I'm wrong) is that you get farang of all ages, and not just men.

sorry, define old, do you mean 30-50 professional expats? seems like the same crowd at cc's last time I passed by there.

Yes, full of old men.

The refreshing thing about Charlie's (I think they dropped the word 'Cheap' from the sign, correct me if I'm wrong) is that you get farang of all ages, and not just men.

sorry, define old, do you mean 30-50 professional expats? seems like the same crowd at cc's last time I passed by there.

50-70 most times I've visited. A few men between 30 and 50 but not many. And virtually no women other than bargirls/hookers. Crowd at Charlie's is more like 25-45 in age, around half of whom are women. The city has plenty of girlie bars, and they have their place. On the other hand most non-girlie bars charge over 100 baht a beer, so Charlie's is cheaper than most. Come to think of it, are there really places on Soi Cowboy with beer for 40 baht, non-happy hour prices?

To each his own, of course. If you prefer the atmo at Soi Cowboy, you're welcome to it. :o

Yes, full of old men.

50-70. And virtually no women other than bargirls/hookers.

well, sorry to disappoint you but I am not close to that demographic, as for women, what kind of classy fems were you hoping to impress at CC's anyway :o

Yes, full of old men.

well, sorry to disappoint you but I am not close to that demographic, as for women, what kind of classy fems were you hoping to impress at CC's anyway :o

Do you sit down the Cowboy impressing the girls at night then?

Then shoot off once happy hour is over . . . . . . . . . alone, or

with a well impressed 'chum' in tow? :D

When I strolled past CC's last week on the way home, I recall the crowd was pretty well mixed between male and female farang, maybe 60-40 split... and not particularly in the older (50+) demographic... I don't recall seeing any Thai women customers at all, bar girl or otherwise... But I may have missed a few in the crowd... :o

Yes, full of old men.

Do you sit down the Cowboy impressing the girls at night then?

Then shoot off once happy hour is over . . . . . . . . . alone, or

with a well impressed 'chum' in tow? :D

fortuneately or un, i head home to my wifey :D

When I strolled past CC's last week on the way home, I recall the crowd was pretty well mixed between male and female farang, maybe 60-40 split... and not particularly in the older (50+) demographic... I don't recall seeing any Thai women customers at all, bar girl or otherwise... But I may have missed a few in the crowd... :o

What you saw was a typical night, I'd say.