Looking For Employment Advice

Hello,

My name is Garrett Peterson. I am a 22 year old male, US citizen. I am planning to move to Northern Thailand in the next year and I am looking for employment. I want to invite any advice from those of you who have already walked this road before. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I have spent most of my years as a cook, a contractors assistant, and an administrative assistant. I finished high school but not college. I will be able to communicate in thai by the time I go. I know this amount of experience does not bode well for the aspiring expat, and that is why I am seeking advice.

Thank you and Long Live the King

Hello,

My name is Garrett Peterson. I am a 22 year old male, US citizen. I am planning to move to Northern Thailand in the next year and I am looking for employment. I want to invite any advice from those of you who have already walked this road before. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I have spent most of my years as a cook, a contractors assistant, and an administrative assistant. I finished high school but not college. I will be able to communicate in thai by the time I go. I know this amount of experience does not bode well for the aspiring expat, and that is why I am seeking advice.

I think all you could hope for is blagging your way into a low end English teaching job.

Hello,

Not trying to p*ss on your plans, but think you will find it hard going getting a job in Thailand, Other than possibly teaching "English" in Thailand, you other option of course is to try and set a Thai company up doing "something"

In this bad global economy?

Just go back to school, it is the best thing to do, then rethinking about your plan of moving to thialand again in 4 yrs.

Education Education Education......is the best investment you can do for yourself!!

good luck

I agree with Teacup... at 22, going to University is the best thing you could do for yourself. In the US it is still possible to find jobs without a degree, but in Thailand almost all entry level positions in almost all industies will want people to have a degree.

Without a degree you will be really hard pressed to find anything that will pay you much over what it takes to just survive. It is also very likely that you will not be able to get a work permit, which means you are going to be breaking the law to do it.

You can work your way through college in the US without to much difficulty. You may have to apply for finacial aid and take out some loans, but you can do it.

It is very unlikely that you will be able to do the same if you wanted to go to school in Thailand.

Another to look at is doing a 1 yr study abroad at Chiang Mai University, they have a lot of agreements with arious US Univeristies. So you may be able to spend one out of the 4 years here in Thailand while you are working towards your degree.

The only other option might be an admin job with an NGO - google on 'Thai NGO' and have a look. You will probably only get approx the same as for English teaching - say 20-30,000 Thai Baht/month. As you will see, most (even NGO's) are only looking for Thai nationals so there is a lot of competition for the few remaining jobs.

The only other option might be an admin job with an NGO - google on 'Thai NGO' and have a look. You will probably only get approx the same as for English teaching - say 20-30,000 Thai Baht/month. As you will see, most (even NGO's) are only looking for Thai nationals so there is a lot of competition for the few remaining jobs.

Good luck on getting an NGO job without a degree... even Peace Corps volunteers need a 4 yr degree to apply...

Some NGOs will state degree or life experience, but at 22 I dont think the life experience option will apply.

Hello,

You could take a shot at selling timeshares to tourists in Samui or Phuket.

You could take a shot at selling timeshares to tourists in Samui or Phuket.

Chr*st....thats all Thailand needs, another dodgy "property developer" ....the OP says he is moving to northern Thailand.....dont ever remember see many tourists looking at timeshares in the north of Thailand

Thanks everybody for your input, Getting a 4-year degree would be the best thing to do I agree, my circumstances are such that it isn't possible in my current situation. I am scheduled to move to thailand already working on a project there with a volunteer group in the north. Maybe I could get an Acredited online degree while I am there.

So maybe starting a business would be a possibility. I have thought about getting certified in Web Design and IT specialties. I have seen quite a bit of ads for web design opportunity in the kingdom and with a quality portfolio accompanied by certifications, I thought it a possible route.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks,

Shambu