Bathrooms For The Local School

blue eyes

OK here is the question.The school in our little village is in dire need of new bathrooms.As we all know it is almost impossible to get the government to do anything for the school.There are a number of us that would like to put up the money to build them but none of us are in country at the moment.Of course the wifes being the typical Thai woman that they are say just give to the principal and he will take care of.Yeah right!And his own pockets to.There are about 400 max in the school so we figure that 6 bathrooms boys/girls is more then enough,do you think same or too many?.A local builder in the village has told the wife that it would be 140,000THB to buy the material only.Plus the labor and of course over run :o They are someone that does fantastic work but boosts the price up because"farang rich can afford"The folowing photo is an exampal of the bathrooms that we would like to build or something close to the photo.Two baths on each side boys/girls.So that would be 3 buildings or if anyone has a better idea let us know.

Oh forgot to mention this is around the Phi Mai area 60km north of Korat in Issan.

Thanks to all.

post-14263-1232653794_thumb.jpg

Edited by blue eyes

My very uneducated guess is that the greatest bill will be to dispose of the effluent rather than the total cost of building the things. You can buy a western toilet for less than 2k, sinks are nearly free, presumably only cold water so no heaters, don't know if you need water tanks or have sufficient supply.

Can't see it costing much at all really and nowhere near 140k for materials. Gold plated taps ?

Hopefully someone with far more insight than me can assist.

Obviously, 1 building with 6 WC's would be cheaper than 3 separate buildings.

Do you intend to fully tile?

I assume squat style and some urinals for the boys.

Rough estimate 70-80,000 materials, but tiling and painting can add 20,000, so maybe 100,000 plus labour.

Obviously, 1 building with 6 WC's would be cheaper than 3 separate buildings.

Do you intend to fully tile?

I assume squat style and some urinals for the boys.

Rough estimate 70-80,000 materials, but tiling and painting can add 20,000, so maybe 100,000 plus labour.

Yes loong that is pretty much what we are looking for.Squat and maybe a long urinal made from stainless like you see at some of the pump stations.I figuare one building with 6 WC's,2 for the boys and 4 for the girlsWith one long urinal for the boys.This I guees would be enough and the least expencive way to go.There is already an area to wash up after so no need for that.We would like to tile to make it look nicer. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry don't have any advice, just wanted to say good on yer for what you're doing, putting something back in to the country that gives us so much. Too many wealthy Farang have a fantastic quality of life and do nothing to re-pay the favour. Nice one mate.