Boat Importation - Taxes ?!

Greetings all - I read somewhere that the Thailand IRS - for lack of a better name - had abandoned any/all import duties on power & sail boats being brought into Thailand. I am in process of doing so, but need to be sure.

Or is Malaysia - Penang - another/better option.

Is it small wonder so many people actually live there, as it appears to be much more 'user-friendly'

The freight is also incredibly expensive - if anyone has any real tips, I would be much obliged.

BR>Jack

Greetings all - I read somewhere that the Thailand IRS - for lack of a better name - had abandoned any/all import duties on power & sail boats being brought into Thailand. I am in process of doing so, but need to be sure.

Is it small wonder so many people actually live there, as it appears to be much more 'user-friendly'

The freight is also incredibly expensive - if anyone has any real tips, I would be much obliged.

BR>Jack

My understanding is that the import tariff does not apply but 7% VAT does also if the boat is on a trailer 40%+ tariff etc applies - now if the vessel has an inboard motor tariff free but outboard you are back into the tariff +vat etc try google "import boat to thailand"

http://www.windowonlifestyle.com/features_...t_your_boat.htm

Edited by mijan24

BR>Jack

My understanding is that the import tariff does not apply but 7% VAT does also if the boat is on a trailer 40%+ tariff etc applies - now if the vessel has an inboard motor tariff free but outboard you are back into the tariff +vat etc try google "import boat to thailand"

http://www.windowonlifestyle.com/features_...t_your_boat.htm

complete boat is 0% duty, 7% VAT plus charges for inspcetion etc; about 10% all up.

shipping is a total rip off unless you use a container; where are you aiming to bring the boat in from?