Ubc Rip Off

Interman

After not being able to watch my UBC because of UBC's bad signal, I discontinued my contract.

I do not think I owe them for the last month because I could not watch it. Now a lawyer has sent me a letter for them.

I am new to Thai Law, must i pay??

1)I did not sign the contract, I was at work, My GF signed my name.

2)GF is not of age to sign a contract by law.

3)Service was not delivered to me.

Do I really have anything to worry about?

What's the legal age for signing a contract?

UBC uses a satellite dish, as long as you have a clear view of the sky in the direction of the satellite, there is no reason except a bad installation for a poor signal. Have you asked UBC to reposition the dish and check it out? Have you checked the neighbour's signal?

And really, if you or your GF broke the contract then just pay the money. Using a lawyer because of a petty dispute over a few thousand Baht is just petty "I am right and I want to prove it" bullshit. Maybe works in Farangland, but that attitude certainly doesn't make life easier here.

I have seen so many Farangs come over here with an attitude problem, "water", "electricity", "rent", "telephone", "motorcycle", "internet". Straight away they are off on the high horse, "I have paid for this and it's my right to have it".

Maybe true, but in Thailand it's not the way to get it. The only thing that happens is that everybody gets upset, and Farangs in general get the label, "anothe r stupid Farang".

2)GF is not of age to sign a contract by law.

Do I really have anything to worry about?

I would not worry as much about UBC as I would having a GF who is too young to sign a contract :o

She must be really pissed off... cannot watch anymore Cartoon Network!

Ah well, what about this one?

Got TOT Ipstar installed because no land line available in the village.

6 months down the road were informed we could have land line.

Went to TOT office to order land line and signed ADSL contract.

Went next door to cancel Ipstar and were informed that would cost us 6.000 Baht for breach of contract :o

Told them that was unfair since we came to order landline and ADSL connection because that was not available when we moved in.

"No recourse" we were told.

OK, I said I would continue Ipstar for an other 6 months and come back to order ADSL then.

"Not possible, you just signed a new contract with TOT, you don't pay that 6k Baht, you get nothing"

I have very high esteem for TOT sense of customer support, believe me :D

Anyway, why would you want to pay and watch that UBC crap?

I have it for free and don't watch it :D

Edited by tartempion

Ubc payments/monthly/yearly are pre paying the following month or year. I received a notice from Bangkok that I owed 2 months payment, took receipts in and they acknowledged payment but still asked for the following month payment. Since it was the 8th of the month, I declined and pointed out that they moved payment time up and seem to forget we the consumer prepay.

My wife had a small debt with AIS before she went back to 1 2 call,for a few months a reminder letter for 2800 baht kept being ignored by her, then nothing for a year she forgot about it so did i until it was passed on to a debt collector, 1st time she add any experiance of this she rang them to quiry it, & she was soon off to the Telewiz shop to pay it, as someone was coming round to take the value in goods from the house not sure it was a pure scare tacktic but she wasn't taking no chance's.

So be careful as others have said don't bother for a few thousand baht plus it will <deleted> up her credit rating & yes Thailand does have a credit cheak system like the UK.

Why didn't you -

1. check the signal value yourself.

2. Call for a technician.

One and one doesn't seem to make two in this case!!!

:o:D:D

Two of these words don't go together; Technician & Thailand.

Must say in 2 years i've had UBC techs out here to sort signal problems & they were sorted within 24 hours. mostly dish alignment same problem in the UK but sky could be days before they came out.

If you tried the same with Sky tv in the UK then you would end up payin or have a CCJ & bad credit rating lodged againt you.

blehh.... look, they will not bother to sue you for just 1500 baht. The lawyers and paper work will be much money than that, so... 1+1.... I wouldn't bother at all! I had a similar situation with them LOOOOONG time ago, and I went to the company my self and pass the box and tell them "I will not pay anything I shouldn't" I got some letters, I asked a thai friend and told me what I told you about the $ and lawyers. Well, nothing happens!

UBC ppl love to steal..

thank you all for your comments... and Jokes. But deep down I know you would like a Thai bird that is legal (but not legal to sign a contract ,21), and not pay for it.

I will pay it.... I already planned on it, just wanted to know what other people have done about this.

I had phoned to have the dish moved, but it never got better. I think it was a faulty transmitter.

thank you all for your comments... and Jokes. But deep down I know you would like a Thai bird that is legal (but not legal to sign a contract ,21), and not pay for it.

I will pay it.... I already planned on it, just wanted to know what other people have done about this.

I had phoned to have the dish moved, but it never got better. I think it was a faulty transmitter.

I'm a little amused. I dont know of anyone that has had a faulty transmitter as you put it, actually you mean receiever as I think you are recieving the signal not transmitting it! UBC have had there week points for me, but having used them in over 5 houses now, having used cable in BKK and satellite upcountry, I have never had more than a day without a signal. My guess is there is more to this story than your telling.

First, how did you get it installed, did you check that the installer was legit? UBC are having a run on fake technicians right now.

Second, did you pay everything up front you should have?

Three, how could you have gone more than three or four days without hassling them beyond reason to get the signal fixed..

Come on, fess up!

I do the alingment on my own satellite a couple of times a year. It a branch falls off a tree or I hit it with the ladder doing house repairs. All you have to do is get in a comfortable spot next to the satellite where you can see your TV (or have someone watch it), keep moving the disk around slowly in a South Westerly direction until the signal comes in. Do this only if you have thoroughly checked all connections, turned the thing on and off a dozen times and plugged the card in and out a few times too. Make sure your TV settings are correct. Never failed except with Big Big storm clouds......... I never want to go back to the isolation I had living up country in 1990!

Edited by jayjayjayjay

I'm a little amused. I dont know of anyone that has had a faulty transmitter as you put it, actually you mean receiever as I think you are recieving the signal not transmitting it! UBC have had there week points for me, but having used them in over 5 houses now, having used cable in BKK and satellite upcountry, I have never had more than a day without a signal. My guess is there is more to this story than your telling.

First, how did you get it installed, did you check that the installer was legit? UBC are having a run on fake technicians right now.

Second, did you pay everything up front you should have?

Three, how could you have gone more than three or four days without hassling them beyond reason to get the signal fixed..

Come on, fess up!

I do the alingment on my own satellite a couple of times a year. It a branch falls off a tree or I hit it with the ladder doing house repairs. All you have to do is get in a comfortable spot next to the satellite where you can see your TV (or have someone watch it), keep moving the disk around slowly in a South Westerly direction until the signal comes in. Do this only if you have thoroughly checked all connections, turned the thing on and off a dozen times and plugged the card in and out a few times too. Make sure your TV settings are correct. Never failed except with Big Big storm clouds......... I never want to go back to the isolation I had living up country in 1990!

Yes, sorry for my mistake, receiver not transmitter.

There is more to the story,,,, more poor service...... not worth the mention, just wanted to know about the legalities of it. It was a small shop here in the middle of no-where appointed by UBC. And I "Hasseled" them for a month. It's hit and miss out here with some places able to receive in light rain and some places unable in any rain light or heavy.

My (UBC) True Vision is in my name. I had it installed at my condo in Jomtien. I moved upcountry and had the service transferred with no problem. Other than poor value for the money, the service has been very good. My wife pays all the bills and yesterday she asked me if she could cancel UBC service. I doubt that I watch TV an hour a month. She called them an hour ago and canceled the service. I think she plans to buy a Thai satellite dish with the free service. I don't care one way or another.

My (UBC) True Vision is in my name. I had it installed at my condo in Jomtien. I moved upcountry and had the service transferred with no problem. Other than poor value for the money, the service has been very good. My wife pays all the bills and yesterday she asked me if she could cancel UBC service. I doubt that I watch TV an hour a month. She called them an hour ago and canceled the service. I think she plans to buy a Thai satellite dish with the free service. I don't care one way or another.

I found it best to just drop the package to 495 baht a month for the Knowledge package, that way you still get the Thai soaps for the family with few music channels, 1 English movie channel, 1 Entertainment & 3 Knowledge channels.

155 baht of the fee is there rental charge of the system, so not bad if you do want to hear some English come through the box now & then.

The cheapest system to buy outright is that one with that massive ugly black dish around 3500 fitted,you get 90 channels most of which are Indian a few Thai channels inc the Goverment ones & only 2 English channels that my mate says are god channels.