High Season

Jack Jones

I'm thinking about travelling to Bangkok next year but like to avoid the times when it's busiest. I usually holiday around Songkran time but thinking about taking my trip a month earlier at the beginning of March.

Is the high season over by then or is it still going to be rammed?

The peak of high season tends to drop away around the middle of January. After that although still busy its not really rammed anywhere, and after the end of Feburary theres not really a problem.

This season due to the Tsunami things could be a little different however but it impossible to say how. My advice would be to come regardless.

Songkran can be a very good time to visit BKK. The place is like a ghost town and you have the feeling of having the place to yourself as long as you don't mind remaining in the city for 3-5 days. I've never seen it so quiet. If you time it right you can arrive in the city as everyone else is leaving and leave as everyone else is coming back (although bus and train stations are chaos for 1 or 2 days after Songkhran)

If you feel like joining in the celebrations, Bangkok especially around Sirriraj Hospital in Thonburi and near Wong Wian Yai has some good stuff going on.

Khao San Road apart, Bangkok's Songkhran celebrations have yet to reach the OTT proportions of other parts of Thailand. You will get splattered and soaked but you'll also get plied with food and drink and treated like a guest.

I would avoid Songkran as it is a pretty chaotic time, and many Thai's take holidays then as well.

Mid Feb onwards should be fine as things are quietening down and room should be plentiful.

Samsen road near Khao San is always rammed around Songkran. Best to get a motorbike if you want to go there. Even then its some times better to walk along this road. Bare in mind its Songkran and you're a tourist. So expect to get soaked. I like Songkran.