Go To Hua Hin Or Pattaya With Kids?

thaijd

Hi

I saw on huahininthailand.com that hua hin is a great alternative for pattaya.

It has a great bar life but not so sleezy as pattaya.

can someone tell me if this is true

I want to go there with my family and kids so i dont want my kids to see the sleezy barlife as in pattaya. but papa and mama want to go out somewhere.

dead boring for nightlife (hua hin) and what exactly do you think you will see in Pattaya that is sleazy? (Basically people drinking in bars and most people aren't out til evening time anyways)

....and the occasional crazy farang streaking down walking st,.......(i stopped doing it now though!) :o

Hua Hin a much better alternative if going with family. I went to Hua Hin last year with family. The beach is a lot nicer than what Pattaya call a beach, horse riding.. plus you can actually swim at Hua Hin. There are some bars and some nightlife. A good family resort.

I can't honestly see why anyone would want to bring their children to Pattaya.

^Ok mate - you surely are blind!! :o

Any rate my point is at the end of the day there is more things to do in Pattaya full stop for children than Hua Hin.

Ok mate. Agreed. There are more things for kids to do in Pattaya. Also there are lots for adults to do. Fun for everyone.

Imagine the travel agents promotion: Come to Pattaya, the family resort! :D

What a shock the average family would have walking down walking street in the evening for the first time...

Wife: This is disgusting !!!

Husband: Well, it didn't mention this in the brochure, dear.

Daughter: What are those women doing mum?

Wife: Look away!

Son: Can we go in that bar, Dad?

Husband: Later, son.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Alot of prejudice here, truth is, for all Pattayas sleaze it is still a huge tourist destination for families and people of all ages. If all you see is the sleaze perhaps that is what you are actively looking for?

They also have gokarting, Sea-doing, paragliding, bungee jumping, snorkling, diving, boating, banana boating, sailing, fishing, no idea what to call it but a lake where a fast moving high mounted tow line pulls you on a water board all around in a giant circle, water skiing, swimming, shopping, aquarium, submarine ride, EXCELLENT restaurants, vibrant nightlife apart from the hooker joints (yes they are there and full of regular people, mostly Thais), shooting, racing bike and jeep rentals.... ok the list could go on indefinately, Pattaya has so much to do and to not know this is pure ignorance..... and I HATE Pattaya, I just also hate misinformation.

What a shock the average family would have walking down walking street in the evening for the first time...

Well don't see any reason you'd take your children to Walking Street, only bars/gogos/discos. Granted few good seafood restaurants are there, but no reason for them to go down there.

As far as Travel Agent goes - I think most people are savvy enough to use the internet and find out what a place is like before they go.

Well don't see any reason you'd take your children to Walking Street, only bars/gogos/discos. Granted few good seafood restaurants are there, but no reason for them to go down there.

As far as Travel Agent goes - I think most people are savvy enough to use the internet and find out what a place is like before they go.

Have to agree with britmaveric... there are some good places outside the night life area in pattaya for family activities... not to menton there are more and more housing estates being built..some with very good design's and idea's.

Furthermore - I'm amazed what people think they are going to see - you'd think the way people react they'd be watching non-stop public shagging 24/7. However just lads in bars drinking and playing Connect 4, Jinga, Dominoes, and that annoying box game with birds in the bar.

Edited by britmaveric

It's unrealistic to think you won't see the sleaze or the ugly sex tourists who aren't just limited to Walking Street. I've never seen so many beer bellies, tattoos and '<deleted>', '<deleted>', '<deleted>' every other word. The UK has exported all its trailer trash to run beer bars and act as pimps. Why should I expose my children to such low life? For water sports? You are joking.

I rented a fantastic private villa with pool for less than the cost of a decent hotel in Hua Hin and the children loved it. If they wanted to venture out it was a short trip to the beach at Kao Takiap or Suan Som. Pala-U waterfall and the temple monkeys were a big hit and there was plenty of golf for me. It's a far more civilized place to go.

The OP didn't mention religious activities, but for the active Christian family Pattaya has a much greater diversity of churches to attend. Hua Hin is very limited in this area, though it does exist.

A Christian family holiday in Pattaya? That was a joke, right?

Imagine the travel agents promotion: Come to Pattaya, the family resort! :o

What loads of nonsense all your post in this thread are.

Hua hin is good for a family for 2 hours. Imagine a rainy day. Where you go? The beach is nicer but useless like Jomtien.

This is that "better" beach. 7km of sand along the murky (jelly fish infested) water with stray dogs that see bypassers rarely and are keen to attack. Only Thais on a day trip (in a tray of a pickup trruck) who do not stay in hotels or stay in cheap places with no pool would touch the water.

hh1.jpg

I stopped going to Hua Hin when my child started walking and needed something to amuse her.

Pattaya is good for 2 weeks of all day events, not even to see the beach or walking street.

Just 5 examples:

Sea world - same as one in Singapore's Sentosa Island:

p1.jpg

Pattaya Water Park. That's where you take the kids, not to the beach. Hua Hin can dream of it. This very place was the reason I have spent 10 months worth of holidays over 5 years in Pattaya.

p2.jpg

View from the tower:

pattayapark1.jpg

pattayaview1.jpg

pattayaview2.jpg

Mini Siam:

p5.jpg

Open Zoo (there are 3 more):

p4.jpg

There are 10 more all day places at least, tropical garden, Ripley's Believe it or not Musem....

Edited by think_too_mut

i personaly despise pattaya, i like hua hin, but pattaya does have plenty of things to do for the kids, go and stay at nong nooch, fun for the kids... but i wouldnt spend much time in pattaya, i compare it to atlantic city, only not so nice. To bad its over run with, well i will just leave it at that

If I were taking kinds to Thailand I would seriously consider the Island of Koh Tao. Lots to do..sailing, diving, snorkelling, kayaking and so on and a little bit of a nightlife scene. Very good value if you hire a family bungalow at one of the mid priced resorts. Alternatively you could spend a few days in Hua Hin and then get a bus/ferry package deal from Hua Hin to Koh Tao. It's a few hundred baht about 400 I think. bus takes about 2 hours to Chumphon and then high speed catamaran takes about another 2 hours to Koh Tao. To return from Koh Tao, either take return ferry/bus to Bangkok..full day trip..or easier but more expensive take catamaran to Koh Samui and then flight to bangkok.

Nice trip would be a few days in Hua Hin, a few in Chumphon, a week in Koh Tao and afew days in Koh Samui and then on to bangkok. Would not cost a great deal more than full time in Hua Hin (about 2500 to 3000 extra per person if using bus-ferry-cat then cat-plane, or only 1000 baht more per person if using only bus-cat then cat-but return). Some of these extra costs would be offset with savings in accomodation in Koh Tao.

Hua Hin, Chumphon and more so Koh Samui have a "night scene" in varying degrees and Koh Tao a very small scene. Good balance for family methinks

Plenty of Asian families with kids at the Sheraton Pattaya when I was there last year. Pattaya is a much more serious and large city than Hua Hin in that respect. Not a lot to do in Hua Hin. That said we'll be skipping both and taking the kids to Khao Lak.