The Mexican Food In Pattaya Is Not Good

Jingthing

Bottom line is what most of the potential customers want here are the basics you would find at a Taqueria in the US.

Of course, if a place only did tacos and burritos well and had all the elements right, the rice, beans, the MEATS and the wrappings, that would be a great place to start.

You have made my point...only a few basic ingredients and the right spices cooked properly (in several different manners, e.g., deep-fried, baked, grilled) and you have a decent Mexican restaurant or burrito place.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line is what most of the potential customers want here are the basics you would find at a Taqueria in the US.

Of course, if a place only did tacos and burritos well and had all the elements right, the rice, beans, the MEATS and the wrappings, that would be a great place to start.

You have made my point...only a few basic ingredients and the right spices cooked properly (in several different manners, e.g., deep-fried, baked, grilled) and you have a decent Mexican restaurant or burrito place.

I agree. But as simple as that sounds, to do it right is a big job, at least in getting the systems set up. If people keep buying the crap at places like Teq Reef, where is the incentive?

Basically, I'm just waiting for that Coyote Mexican place on Convent (another branches near Emporium on Sukhumvit and in Phuket) in Bangkok to open a Pattaya branch. There food is pretty good and authentic IMHO...if a bit pricey. Also, sooner or later I'm sure Sunrise will also open here too.

PS: Tequila Reef is spreading their so-so food to Angeles City...with a branch to open there soon. So like you say, it seems that mediocrity is rewarded in these parts :o

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

I've eaten at Mike's a few times and reckon it to be the best of a fairly mediocre bunch. The Monterrey fajitas are, IMO, very tasty. I wouldn't know if they are authentic or not but they taste good and the chicken melts in your mouth. I always order spicy and it never is, but there's loads of different hot sauces available so a few splashes of that and I'm happy.

I don't rate the mexican food at TR but some of their other stuff is pretty good - ribs etc. And of course the margaritas...

BBQ Ribs are not Mexican food unless you think Texas is Mexico (not so long ago, it was). But good idea to order something edible to go with the booze. OK, I will try Mike's Pattaya sometime and try some of the recommended dishes. Does Mike's really offer "loads" of different hot sauces on the side? That is surprising based on a comment of a previous poster. Fajitas in general are an American enhancement of Mexican food but so is the California style burrito which is of course among the greatest culinary creations around (ha ha).

Edited by Jingthing

I wonder how many authentic Thai restaurants there are in Mexico.

Irrelevant. Indeed probably none that are authentic. There aren't Thai people in Mexico.

Totalmente incorrecto, mi amigo. I first ate and fell in love with Thai food in Guadalajara. The selection of chilies may have been slanted a little to Mexican varieties but that is the real problem with Mexican food here. The chilies are either canned jalapenos or biased in favor of Asian chilies.

The other thing to remember is that real Mexican food (central and southern Mexico) is not very similar to what we call Mexican food in the States. It's not usually very spicy as condiments are provided for the consumer to spice it their preference.

By the way, one of the most successful Mexican restaurants in Chiang Mai (Salsa Kitchen) is about as Mexican as phad Thai. I eat there and enjoy it but it ain't Mexican.

Irrelevant. Indeed probably none that are authentic. There aren't Thai people in Mexico.

Totalmente incorrecto, mi amigo. I first ate and fell in love with Thai food in Guadalajara. The selection of chilies may have been slanted a little to Mexican varieties but that is the real problem with Mexican food here. The chilies are either canned jalapenos or biased in favor of Asian chilies.

OK, if you say so. I never noticed a Thai resto in Guadalajara. I meant there aren't MANY Thai people. You need a base of people who know the food for there to be authentic restos of a cuisine. BTW FRESH jalapenos are available in Thailand!

The other thing to remember is that real Mexican food (central and southern Mexico) is not very similar to what we call Mexican food in the States. It's not usually very spicy as condiments are provided for the consumer to spice it their preference.

Tell us something we don't already know.

By the way, one of the most successful Mexican restaurants in Chiang Mai (Salsa Kitchen) is about as Mexican as phad Thai. I eat there and enjoy it but it ain't Mexican.

Ditto.

Maybe I can make this a bit clearer. There aren't many Mexicans in Pattaya. There is a base of American expats and tourists. What these Americans mostly expect from a Mexican restaurant are standard taqueria favorites they might find in a Mexican neighborhood in the US. That kind of food is only a subset of real Mexican food. Americans also often want enhanced Mexican food such as California style burritos, stuffed with rice, beans, fresh spicy salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, lettuce. Mexican food is such an integral part of food in the US now that indeed a US style Mexican restaurant would be considered authentic. Tacos and Salsa in Bangkok does more Mexican style taqueria standards, many Americans love that style as well and it can be found in large US cities, and it is technically more authentically Mexican, but this really isn't about food purism. Its about decent Mexican food of some kind.

Edited by Jingthing

Does Mike's really offer "loads" of different hot sauces on the side?

They had three kinds of Tabasco--regular, chipotle and habanero. I used a lot, but would have preferred a simple homemade salsa.

Thanks, thats better than nothing. I noticed at Teq Reef they had that sugar sweet Thai chili sauce on same tables. Yuck!

Prospero has given you some good advice!

Mike's is a regular stop for me every couple of weeks, when I feel the need for a "Mexican food fix".

I lived in So Cal for most of the last 30 years before moving here. Mike's, IMO, rivals any of the good Mexican restaurants there; and, by the way, that includes his Margaritas, which are excellent.

I have had better in So Cal, mind you. But Mike's would definitely rate as above average there. Good sauce, quality ingredients, and great quantity. The 'quesadilla supreme' he serves is really more like a burrito than a quesadilla, in that it is "burrito shaped". You can't pick up a triangle-shaped piece of it, as is the case with quesadillas served in So Cal. But it is HUGE, and it is delicious!

I'll be most interested to see the opinions of others, when you try Mike's. Especially you, Jingthing, since I haven't tried any of the others; and, if you like Mike's, I won't bother to! :-)

Since I'm happy with Mike's, my only regret is that there is no Mexican food place over here on the Darkside. We've got nearly everything over here now, with the exceptions of Mexican and Japanese restaurants.

Well, patsfangr, since I am one of your "let's go eat at Mike's buddies", I'll say it's not bad, but the little shop down the hill from my house in San Diego was way better.....So for a decent Mexican fix here it's better than average.........but doesn't compare to San Diego. IMO.

Beachbunny

If it is true that Mikes is the best of the bad, I hope more people try it and become loyal to it. I can't comment yet as I haven't tried it yet. If the customer base supports the place with the better food, maybe the message will get out that strong margaritas only won't cut it anymore and/or we might attract a more serious Mexican food provider.

BBQ Ribs are not Mexican food unless you think Texas is Mexico (not so long ago, it was).

I was already aware that BBQ Ribs are not Mexican food which is why I referred to them as "other stuff".

You're right, perhaps it was an exaggeration to say "loads" of hot sauces - but as pointed out by another poster at least 3, which is enough for me.

Also, IMO the frozen margarita at Mikes are as good as the ones at TR. Haven't tried any of their other margaritas so can't comment on those.

I was already aware that BBQ Ribs are not Mexican food which is why I referred to them as "other stuff".

Sorry, I never thought you did.

Bottled Mexican sauces being offered are above the low standard here. Better bottled Mexican sauces than BAD bland salsa fresca such as that mockery of a Mexican place, the Reef.

Personally, I don't care much about margaritas either way but trying to understand why the Reef is popular, that's a big part of it. Also they get a lot of non-Americans there who may even think they are getting the real food, that's a shame.

I think the Reef's popularity stems from a few factors:

Location - quite a lot of foot traffic I'd imagine and it's a good place to watch the comings and goings of Soi 7.

He advertises on TV (or at least he did previously when I was subscribed to Sophon) and in the local rags.

I heard that the owner is ex-military and he highlights this with all the US Navy caps displayed above the bar so I'm guessing he's got a loyal following of ex-military types.

Good margaritas. Good ribs.

He probably gets quite a bit of trade from military personnel whenever there is a US ship in town.

He takes Bartercard and there are plenty of people in town with Barter points that they need to spend.

His place has been there for years and is well-established.

He hosts a party on Independence Day which attracts good publicity.

He's got a comfortable outdoor area for smokers.

From what I hear the owner is a good host and spends quite a bit of time in the place, which is important for residents who like to know that they can stop by the place unannounced and there's a good chance he'll be there.

Notably missing from the above list - Excellent Mexican Food. I think he probably does as much business with drinkers as he does with eaters. So I guess the moral of the story is that you don't need to serve great Mexican food to have a successful Mexican restaurant.

So I guess the moral of the story is that you don't need to serve great Mexican food to have a successful Mexican restaurant.

Totally agreed. And there is nothing wrong with that, unless what you are really looking for is good Mexican food. It does annoy me a little that Europeans and Thais may think this is what Americans or Mexicans would think is good Mexican food. I know the feeling though. Sometimes I eat food types I don't know about or have a frame of reference for and wonder about what a native would think about it.

Edited by Jingthing

Irrelevant. Indeed probably none that are authentic. There aren't Thai people in Mexico. There are plenty of potential customers for good Mexican food in Thailand. I agree about the salsa issue but am hearing good reports about the Mexico City style salsas at Tacos and Salsa Bangkok. Britmav, what would a Brit know about Mexican food, sorry ...

As a Brit that konws nothing about Mexican food I quite like the food at Mike's.

I've never been to Mexico or tasted American Mexican food (except Taco Bells in Jeddah which I liked) and my other favourite Mexican is in Seoul, so my taste is probably nothing near the real thing.

But go check out Mike's and let's know how it compares.

Have to agree that the quality of "Mexican Food" in Pattaya is of a poor standard. There have been several comments about lack of ingredients being available in Thailand for producing authentic mexican meals and that a lot of effort is required to properly prepare them and that is why the quality is not evident. Most 'Mexican" food available around the world is of the "Californian Style" and comparisons are generally based on this style and not the authentic food eaten by the mexican peasants.

Mexican restaurants are renowned as places for cheap, plentiful helpings with a casual relaxed atmosphere. I owned a mexican restaurant in Australia for many years and served people from all over the world with about 1 complaint a year and never 1 from an American who are the most discerning when it comes to mexican food.

Quality is achieved by sourcing the correct ingredients and preparing them properly. To me the best indicator that the restauranter knows what he is doing with mexican is how he prepares his guacamole. This is where Sunrise Taco failed dismally. Was on Sukhamvit and decided to get my mexican fix at there store there. Whilst I was pleased to see them preparing their own tortillas I noticed there guacamole was sitting in a dirty container and it had obviously been blended. This is a no no as it causes the avocado to darken and removes all flavour. Changed my order as a result and ended up throwing most of it away due to the poor quality and taste, never to return.

Mexican is a very difficult food to prepare for takeaway sales but easy for dining in. Nothing worse than a nachos takeaway as it will be soggy within a few minutes if drenched in salsa or dry as a bone if not.

There are many secrets to good preperation of commercial quantities needed in a restarunt kitchen but Mexican is one of the easiest as you can mix and match most of your core products.

There is no excuse that this cannot occur in Pattaya as the right Tortillas, Rice, Borlotti Beans and meat cuts are all available. Cheese is a variable but this can be sourced from overseas if quantities dictate the economic viability. All chefs know that cheese quality varies on a seasonal basis anyway so several sources should be established.

You can train anyone to cook and plate mexican if you have set your kitchen up correctly. Whilst we know how difficult it can be to train and manage our Thai hosts to carry out simple functions, mexican food can be the easiest to be done correctly.

PS: interested to hear what you think is the secret behind making the best "Nachos"

PS: interested to hear what you think is the secret behind making the best "Nachos"

Forgot to mention before - I would avoid the nachos at Mike's - sub-standard for my taste and in fact I think that the Reef doesn't do a bad job with its sloppy chilli nachos.

There is great Mexican food in Thailand...at my house. It's true though you have to import some ingredients to get an authentic flavor. Kind friends in Los Angeles send me care packages of spices and proper Jalapenos.

Yeah, I make tacos at home that blow the doors off anything I've had at a restaurant in Pattaya. They are not terribly authentic, but they are very tasty--corn tortillas with a spiced ground pork filling topped with sour cream, hot sauce, tomatoes, onions, fresh chopped chili peppers then iceberg lettuce topped with shredded cheese. Avocado when available too.

Also extremely tasty and fairly authentic when avocados are available (and they can be had for as little as 65 baht a kilo at Foodland at times), is quesadillas where you grill a big flour tortilla on one side, then flip and spread shredded cheese until it melts. Pull it off and top with a layer of guacamole and then sour cream on top of that. It's probably my favorite vegetarian dish in the world.

Tasty Mexican *is* possible here with substituted Thai ingredients.

I've never been to Mexico or tasted American Mexican food (except Taco Bells in Jeddah which I liked)

Oh no! Taco Bell food is NOT what I am talking about. That is a completely different category, American Mexican FAST food.

In Pattaya anyway, excellent Aussie or NZ Haas avocados are always available and Villa always has FRESH jalapenos, which by the way, are not at all expensive.

I can cook some Mexican tasting things as well from locally sourced ingredients (soft corn tortillas are available here) but I am definitely too lazy to make my own carne asada or carnitas or even real Mexican salsas, so saying the best Mex is available at your home isn't very helpful to the hungry craving masses.

Sunrise is of course not up to high American standards but there is definitely not a burrito in Pattaya that comes close to Sunrise and many of us would be very happy to see a Sunrise in Pattaya. So far my favorite Mexican in Thailand has been at Miguels Chiang Mai but hearing very good things about Tacos and Salsa in Bangkok.

Edited by Jingthing

soft corn tortillas are available here

Where do you get them? I haven't seen them in Villa, Foodland, Friendship or Tops.

Foodland usually has them fresh. Friendship always has them but they are frozen but they are usable. Villa never has them.

The two things I really miss about the US are the FOOD and the SPORTS. That is pretty much it to tell you the truth. But, really, why leave it at Mexican food.

The Pizza stinks, the Italian foods stinks, the Hamburgers stinks, the Steaks stink, the Sub's stink, the Deli meats stink.

If I left something out, please fill it in. I am sure I did.

Anybody that says they like Subway, well before you say it; they stink in the US and they stink even more here.

It is so sad, that the best burger I can get is at Burger King. And anybody that says Bob's Texas BBQ has a good burger, don't, to have a good burger you have to start with good beef. What ever he makes his hamburgers with is NOT good beef.

Oh, I know what I left out. The breakfast stink too. The bacon is never cooked; the scrambled eggs are either runny or overcooked, the sausage here stinks (By the way, we should have good sausage since it is made with pork, I would love some Jimmy Deans now) the omelets never have enough cheese, the home fries stink (Really how hard is it to make good home fries,) nobody has hash browns (Except Continental in Jomtien.) I guess that is it for breakfast.

billaaa, you pretty much nailed it. I do think there is half decent Italian style pizza here but have yet to come across good American style pizza like you would find in NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. I don't go out for breakfast but I am not surprised. I used to like the spicy Buffalo chicken wings at Great American Rib (they use imported sauces) but the last time I went they had downhill a peg. And while we're at it where is the really good southern fried chicken (how hard can that be) and not talking KFC? Oh yeah the burgers. A burger made with good beef and the right fat ratio can be divine and yes even cooked medium rare which is a health risk. I don't even bother trying here, the beef being so bad.

Edited by Jingthing

I have to agree that there is no good American food in Pattaya. I think some of the pubs like Pig and Whistle, Sportsman and Shenanigans can do up some reasonably edible Brit food, but there's nothing for us far Westerners. As for beef, you need to find a restaurant that serves up Aussie or Kiwi beef. There's one near me in Rayong that even wholesales its beef, but places like Bob's, El Paso, Beefeaters, etc. don't serve quality beef. The Italians are not NY-SF style. I don't even bother ordering breakfast, because you can't get properly cooked eggs, bacon or omelets. The Thai fried chicken isn't bad, but there's no southern-style spiced fried chicken. There's not one good Chinese restaurant, another NY-SF staple. No edible pastrami or tasty hot dogs, like Nathans. You can get some decent salami, but the pepperoni and sausages are terrible. Funny thing is that there are restaurants in Bangkok and other parts of Thailand that can do this stuff right, but none in Pattaya.

Did anybody try Fatboy's Diner at Avenue before it shut its doors? It seemed to have an American menu but the owners picked a terrible location and got stuck with huge rent. Might have been open for a month or two.

S73F0444.jpg

S73F0446.jpg

I think if you picked up some salami from Topps or Villa and then a sandwich roll from Grottino, you have the start of a decent sandwich. That's a lot of effort for a sandwich. Maybe there's not enough American ex-pats in Pattaya to support some American cuisine. Bob, Sam, Al and Mike have tried to fill the niche, but it's woefully inadequate.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox