Apec Card Useful At Land Border Crossings?

Hi.

Has anyone here successfully used their APEC business travellers card to get a 90 day entry stamp at a land border crossing? I've only used it at airports in the diplomatic lanes before and really don't want to get stuck with a two week tourist stamp because the rules are different or the border guard has no idea what the card is.

Hi.

Has anyone here successfully used their APEC business travellers card to get a 90 day entry stamp at a land border crossing? I've only used it at airports in the diplomatic lanes before and really don't want to get stuck with a two week tourist stamp because the rules are different or the border guard has no idea what the card is.

I've used mine at 5 different crossings now; Mai Sai, Ranong, Sadao, Padang Besar, and Wang Prachan. On the whole I've found the Immigration officers to be professional though not always knowledgeable. On several occasions officers have had to refer to the manual or to their superior. Immigration officers at the border and at my local immigration office don't seem to really understand the card, what it's purpose is or how and why it's issued.

I've always found it faster and easier when using the card coming through the airport. At the airport it doesn't warrant a second glance whereas at the land crossings I've been left with the impression that it's looked at with suspicion.

I dont agree with Thailand Tiger when he says it is ' looked at with suspicion " !

It is simply the fact that most business people fly rather than go overland

so its natural it will take time for all immigration officers at all border to encounter one.

I have had similar responses but once they know what it is there is no

doubting it is highly regarded. At some border crossings they take it to have

it photocopied which I think is one their internal requirements but other

than that- I have never had any problems.

Edited by midas

Thanks for the replies people.

I get the impression it is fine if you are patient and prepared to explain that you are entitled to 90 days and wait to get it confirmed by seniors (so certainly do it yourself rather than be part of some bulk processed bus load).

Thanks for the replies people.

I get the impression it is fine if you are patient and prepared to explain that you are entitled to 90 days and wait to get it confirmed by seniors (so certainly do it yourself rather than be part of some bulk processed bus load).

I think it is just best to hand it to them and say nothing. 2 or 3 years ago yes

you to explain everything but these days you will be surprised -at least

one of the other officers in the room will know all about it and will explain

to his/ her colleague what has to be done :o

I dont agree with Thailand Tiger when he says it is ' looked at with suspicion " !

I didn't state that it WAS looked at with suspicion. I stated that I was left with an impression based upon my experiences, one of which it happens included statements made by the immigration officer as to the frequent use I've made of the card.

Hi.

I re-entered Thailand from Lao last week via the crossing at Chong Mek. (near Ubon) The immigration officer was well aware of the APEC card & I was processed normally.

• 5 months later...
Hi.

I re-entered Thailand from Lao last week via the crossing at Chong Mek. (near Ubon) The immigration officer was well aware of the APEC card & I was processed normally.

I have apec card and willing to use aranyaprethet(cambodia border) for exit and enter into bangkok

1. would aranyaprathet immigration give me 90days as i get in bkk airport?

2. do they aware of apec card?

3. just go out and return to border will not be a problem?

4. I think aranyaprathet is the shortest distant border from bkk

pls advise. it would be grateful.

Also, me n my wife having apec card so entering and stay in bkk for 90 days no problem

but my son 3yrs old doesnt have any visa to stay with us for long term

Everyone says, children below 12 years no need to worry as he can stay long elapsing the 1 month visa

or do i have to get any special visa for him, if need to, on what category i have to apply, where?

I am too much worried about him..please advise.

It would be great if i get a reply from a person who have little bit experience like my case, a sort of..

-thanks in advance.

I didn't state that it WAS looked at with suspicion. ???? I stated that I was left with an impression based upon my experiences, one of which it happens included statements made by the immigration officer as to the frequent use I've made of the card.

Excuse me but go back to your Post #6 and the exact words you used were :-

I've always found it faster and easier when using the card coming through the airport.

At the airport it doesn't warrant a second glance whereas at the land crossings I've been

left with the impression that it's looked at with suspicion. :)

I am now on my third APEC Card so I am now in my

seventh year of membership and I have never once generated anything like that kind of

remark from any immigration officer anywhere.

Yes perhaps on my first card during the early days they had to shuffle off and consult

with their superiors but when they came back it was almost apologetically

obviously being having told about the favorable status of the card.

These days the very positive response is automatic.

Unless there was something very unusual about your travel activities

you probably just got a grumpy officer but its certainly not representative of the general attitude

to APEC Card members in any of the 21 countries.

Can somebody explain to what is an APEC card?

Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation. It has about 21 members if I remember correctly, but the card is not available to all member countries.

Edited by beechguy

APEC is stands for Asia Pacific Economic Co-operation. Member states are the ones you find bordering the Pacific Ocean, and includes most ASEAN countries as well.

The APEC Business travellers card, as the name implies, is available to business persons to facilitate travel, providing visa free entry to member countries, usually for extended periods of time.

For an APEC card holder then, you get an automatic 90 days on arrival in Thailand, as opposed to the 30/15 days.

You have to be a citizen of one of the APEC countries, and you do have to have a genuine track record of business travel to qualify (and your country has to offer it, for instance, the US does not, yet). The only exception to the citizenship rule appears to be HK. There, permanent residents can qualify for one. I know one HK Swiss citizen who has one...

Edited by samran

On several occasions officers have had to refer to the manual or to their superior. Immigration officers at the border and at my local immigration office don't seem to really understand the card, what it's purpose is or how and why it's issued.

I've always found it faster and easier when using the card coming through the airport. At the airport it doesn't warrant a second glance whereas at the land crossings I've been left with the impression that it's looked at with suspicion.

I had a similar experience using my 1-year multiple entry B visa at Arananyapet/PoiPet border.

The immigration officer was unsure of what to do but was very pleasant/polite, took a long time studying it, and then called a superior to ask what to do. In the end, they gave me more than 90 days (120 days I think) but in the end, it was I who politely corrected their error (had it put back down to 90 days) because I didn't want to risk a future "technical" problem on my stay; after which they thanked me for being "honest" or whatever... :)

APEC is stands for Asia Pacific Economic Co-operation. Member states are the ones you find bordering the Pacific Ocean, and includes most ASEAN countries as well.

The APEC Business travellers card, as the name implies, is available to business persons to facilitate travel, providing visa free entry to member countries, usually for extended periods of time.

For an APEC card holder then, you get an automatic 90 days on arrival in Thailand, as opposed to the 30/15 days.

You have to be a citizen of one of the APEC countries, and you do have to have a genuine track record of business travel to qualify (and your country has to offer it, for instance, the US does not, yet). The only exception to the citizenship rule appears to be HK. There, permanent residents can qualify for one. I know one HK Swiss citizen who has one...

I suspect immigration officers would not be expecting APEC cardholder 'walker' entrants into Thailand at far flung border crossings Samran. And APEC rules prohibit border runners from residing in APEC countries other than their own.

Don't mean to side-track your thread but I do have a query about the APEC card.

When I looked into it I seem to recall the guidelines stating that you needed to regularly travel to/around several APEC countries in order to validly hold/use it. In other words if you were just travelling between Thailand and Australia (for example) then you would not qualify.

Is this the case in real life? Does anyone check/comment about where or how often you go places using the card? Please advise

I suspect immigration officers would not be expecting APEC cardholder 'walker' entrants into Thailand at far flung border crossings Samran. And APEC rules prohibit border runners from residing in APEC countries other than their own.

Very true Doc, I should have made this clearer, APEC card holders aren't supposed to use the card as a defacto residency permit, nor are work permits possible to aquire based on entering on a 90 day APEC entry stamp.

That is not to say however, that someone with a proper work permit etc can't use the APEC card to get into the APEC line at airports. I know a few long term businessmen who live in Thailand under the proper rules, and flash the APEC card to get the short line at Swampy....

Don't mean to side-track your thread but I do have a query about the APEC card.

When I looked into it I seem to recall the guidelines stating that you needed to regularly travel to/around several APEC countries in order to validly hold/use it. In other words if you were just travelling between Thailand and Australia (for example) then you would not qualify.

Is this the case in real life? Does anyone check/comment about where or how often you go places using the card? Please advise

that would be upto the Australian Government, who issues the APEC card to Australian citizens, to decide if you qualify.

Edited by samran

• 4 weeks later...
nor are work permits possible to aquire based on entering on a 90 day APEC entry stamp.

Hi Samran , I just want to verify this - you cannot get a work permit if you have entered and received a 90 day APEC entry stamp ?

You must have Non Immigrant Visa (excluding O-A or ED) or PR to obtain a WP.

Edited by thaiphoon