Copyright Question

bigtimeali

hi all

i know could get a bit of flack for this, but what are the laws in thailand regarding copyrights? how to register an idea, and is it worth it seeing that when you go round the markets there full of fakes!!!! i have an idea that is cheap and easy to produce that could be sold to the masses of asia!!! but if i went through the expense of copyrighting it, would i have any legal actions if somebody faked it? the idea hasn't been done before, and is still in the prototype stage, testing it in march when over next. fingers crossed!!!!! and before anyone asks, i aint saying anymore detail about it apart from its a humane pest control system for houses and restaurants.

:o i said humane pest control!!!!! and no it aint a padded fly swatter. seriously its got some quite technical materials involved. but would need to be manufactured. so i was wondering if other companys could move in on the idea even if it was copyrighted and what legalstance would i have? does anybody know of a copyright office in thailand?

Strong IP laws, weak IP laws, seriously, what difference would it make?

The reality is are you prepared to go to a market and look for copies, then pay the police to grab the people responsible (if you can track who they are) and put them in a long queue for court action (to find they have no money anyway). Then drive a km to the next market to repeat said process, then ditto till the end of time?

Unless you are going to make mega-bucks (and can pay others to do this for you) this does seem a great option to me

Not wishing to appear pedantic, but doesthis not come under patent law rather than copyright, in the UK at least, there is a great difference between the two. But as has been stated above enforcement would be the problem.

Here is some valuable advice:

When you launch your product, do so with as much noise a possible to accomplish the following...

1) Create instant brand awareness and talk of the town

2) Make it cool to have your product and be seen with it

3) Bear in mind the shelf life of your product before it gets knocked off (how long will it take to make copies?)

4) Have your distribution / production channels sorted prior to launch

There are very few things here that can't be reproduced cheaper by someone in China.

You need to launch simultaneously in all markets. Hit them hard and fast. Make your money and get out.

Forget about trademarks unless your invention will replace the car.

Good luck.

hi all

i know could get a bit of flack for this, but what are the laws in thailand regarding copyrights? how to register an idea, and is it worth it seeing that when you go round the markets there full of fakes!!!! i have an idea that is cheap and easy to produce that could be sold to the masses of asia!!! but if i went through the expense of copyrighting it, would i have any legal actions if somebody faked it? the idea hasn't been done before, and is still in the prototype stage, testing it in march when over next. fingers crossed!!!!! and before anyone asks, i aint saying anymore detail about it apart from its a humane pest control system for houses and restaurants.

There is a huge number of human pests in Thailand, so if you get it right I'm sure you'll make millions :o