Asbestos And Other Dangerous Materials

I will soon start with the construction of my house on Phuket. One major concern is what kind of materials my contractor will use, as I don't want to have any dangerous stuff in my house.

In my architectual drawings I found "asbestos pipes" which I better don't want to accept. Is asbestos also used for anything else in the house? (except for those roof tiles which I don't have)

Do they also mix it with cement for concrete blocks or when ordering ready-mix?

Are there any other dangerous construction materials that Thais like to use?

Yes Lau Kow Whiskey, it makes them fall off ladders.

Seriously though can not imagine where you would be using asbestos pipes in your new house. Your architect will most likely be pulling a standard item and icon out of the cam cad library. The builder will really have to search around to find something like that and will most likely use what he has always used for that particular pipe. Ask him what he proposes to use for that pipe.

From what I can find out general construction materiel here does not use asbestos in a normal house build. That's not to say that the dust from cutting, cement board, wood, cement pipes and the like is not dangerous to humans.

Edited by Rimmer

• 5 weeks later...
I will soon start with the construction of my house on Phuket. One major concern is what kind of materials my contractor will use, as I don't want to have any dangerous stuff in my house.

In my architectual drawings I found "asbestos pipes" which I better don't want to accept. Is asbestos also used for anything else in the house? (except for those roof tiles which I don't have)

Asbestos/cement pipes have been around for years, although must admit thought this method of making piping had been phased out years ago, but guess they could still be making them in Thailand. The asbestos is mixed in with cement at the factory to make higher strength pipes for a given wall thickness.

Provided they are not messed with once installed, ie cut - creating dust, they pose no health treats because the asbestos fiber is trapped in the cement.

Asbestos/cement pipes have been around for years, although must admit thought this method of making piping had been phased out years ago, but guess they could still be making them in Thailand. The asbestos is mixed in with cement at the factory to make higher strength pipes for a given wall thickness.

Provided they are not messed with once installed, ie cut - creating dust, they pose no health treats because the asbestos fiber is trapped in the cement.

Interesting asbestos water pipes for what? in case they catch on fire. On a more serious note, the house I rent has (i have been told) asbestos roofing tiles over the car-port. Do they still use these? Are they a hazard?

Interesting asbestos water pipes for what? in case they catch on fire. On a more serious note, the house I rent has (i have been told) asbestos roofing tiles over the car-port. Do they still use these? Are they a hazard?

Basically cement has very little tensile strength (but lots of compressive strength) , so asbestos fiber was added to mix to give it some tensile strength...nothing to do with fire resistance.

On your roof tiles provided you dont start cutting them for some reason and creating dust....no hazard...

The issue around asbestos is to do with the dust getting into your lungs and giving you abestosis..even swallowing the stuff will do you no harm...its all to do with the dust

The level of aesbestos is the lowest concentration in aesbestos cement. The danger levels / types are - Blue (crocidaltye) <typo.> (the worst), brown (Amosite), white (Crysotile) ((still used in some parts of the world)) and finally asb. cement. (used all over)

Which is legal to remove yourself in the UK etec as the threat / fibre level is incredibly low.

So don't worry, you'd have to be smashing the stuff up in a box room and gasping for air to start exposing yourself to risk :o

The level of aesbestos is the lowest concentration in aesbestos cement. The danger levels / types are - Blue (crocidaltye) <typo.> (the worst), brown (Amosite), white (Crysotile) ((still used in some parts of the world)) and finally asb. cement. (used all over)

Which is legal to remove yourself in the UK etec as the threat / fibre level is incredibly low.

So don't worry, you'd have to be smashing the stuff up in a box room and gasping for air to start exposing yourself to risk :o

what about brakepads here, do they still use Abestos lining?