Financial Crisis

just maybe Russia if energy prices continue to go down.

And i also think its gone way beyond a " just maybe Russia " situation :-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Ot-Russian-B...et-t242320.html

" Feb. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Russian companies, the biggest emerging-market borrowers during the last three years, are shut out of the international bond market after yields jumped sixfold since August amid plunging energy prices and a weakening ruble.

No Russian company has raised money through foreign bond sales since August, compared with $80 billion raised by more than 200 companies in Latin America and Asia outside of Japan, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Yields on bonds due next year from Moscow-based Transcapitalbank and JSC AIKB Tatfondbank in the Russian republic of Tatarstan are trading at yields above 80 percent, up from 12 percent in August."

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• midas

• Naam

• flying

• 12DrinkMore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah beachcomber, I just hope one day this frikkin nightmare will be over and we can continue our lives without constantly being kept in some kind of fear.

Here some interesting reading, focused on the once Great British Empire: http://www.webtvhub.com/bankrupt-britain

:D

It would have been interesting to see your video Alex but are you aware the first one is no longer

working-it says

" This video has been removed due to terms of use violation"

OMG :D -I hope it's not the beginning of the 1984 style censorship :o

Yeah beachcomber, I just hope one day this frikkin nightmare will be over and we can continue our lives without constantly being kept in some kind of fear.

Here some interesting reading, focused on the once Great British Empire: http://www.webtvhub.com/bankrupt-britain

:o

intersting questions raised re brown's agenda,if any!what i did find interesting is the claim tha the major news broadcasters dont mention the possibility of a "bankrupt britain".the answer to that is they have been instructed by downing street not to, for fear of a massive clamouring from the public and more so from financial investors to withdraw funds and therefore create widespread panic.all this bailout is just postponing the day of reckoning i think.

Edited by samuibeachcomber

just broadening the discussion a little,it would appear that asian countries maybe better able to weather the storm.Take thailand as an example,i believe they have adequite reserves to defend their currencies,banks lending for mortgages always securied collateral and asked for a hefty deposit to scure the loan,the country is a great food producer too.

I dont agree with that statement samui :D Thailand is the land of smoke and mirrors and could they really

" weather the storm " as you say when all they last time was sweep the problem under the mat ? :D

Maybe you didnt read this :-

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/econom...-debt-authority

" The liabilities ( from the 1997 crisis ) have been split into three lots, with 500 billion baht in the first lot to be paid

down from annual profits generated by the central bank. Two other lots, of 112 billion

and 776 billion, would be paid through returns from the central bank's general accounts.

From 1997 to 2007, however, the central bank has paid down just 31.6 billion baht for the first lot of 500 billion baht in debt.

i.e. 31.6 billion baht from 1.4 trillion baht liabilities :o

i read the article you posted.so it would seem thailand is no better off than anyone else.think i might move to laos where their is no money to lose,grow some vegies,smoke dope,and forget about the whole thing.

the govt. dont have any money.another thing that gets me is all this UK bank failure cannot be just down to the USA re packaging mortgage parcels and selling on,there could not have been enough mortgages given to people who could not afford the debt they incurred.so where are the other write downs coming from that makes the banks balance sheets so negative?

I interpreted becoming this big because because it wasnt just the packaging of mortgages but also the result of multiplication by many times of the subsequent derivatives of these questionable mortgages ? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

you are not wrong but right.

just broadening the discussion a little,it would appear that asian countries maybe better able to weather the storm.Take thailand as an example,i believe they have adequite reserves to defend their currencies,banks lending for mortgages always securied collateral and asked for a hefty deposit to scure the loan,the country is a great food producer too.

I dont agree with that statement samui :D Thailand is the land of smoke and mirrors and could they really

" weather the storm " as you say when all they last time was sweep the problem under the mat ? :D

Maybe you didnt read this :-

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/econom...-debt-authority

" The liabilities ( from the 1997 crisis ) have been split into three lots, with 500 billion baht in the first lot to be paid

down from annual profits generated by the central bank. Two other lots, of 112 billion

and 776 billion, would be paid through returns from the central bank's general accounts.

From 1997 to 2007, however, the central bank has paid down just 31.6 billion baht for the first lot of 500 billion baht in debt.

i.e. 31.6 billion baht from 1.4 trillion baht liabilities :o

nothing to worry about and no influence whatsoever on the economy Thailand's. reason: internal debt denominated in THB.

yes alex the world is being asked to "buy" this new world order crap that was first spouted by non other than bush senior,looking back into the history of thisfamily is truly scary,it was said that prescott bush helped finance the nazi's.

anyone with any commonsense knew this new globallisation problem was/is just a con to keep a few people in control of the many.but the culture of greed is hard to shake,just ask anyone who has tried to kick the drug habit.they want to keep on taking the fix,hence the continual shreiking out that "we can only solve this with world institutions."

My answer is the complete opposite (but it will mean a lowering of everone's standard of living) and that is to retreat,let each country be the master of their own destiny,we dont need these world bodies,what have they done that has really been so beneficial to mankind that each country could not do itself.

i see (presently) no reason at all why my standard of living will be lower.

nothing to worry about and no influence whatsoever on the economy Thailand's. reason: internal debt denominated in THB.

Am I missing something? Surely whatever the denomination is -debt is debt unless they suddenly swap

it for Monopoly money ? :o What I am trying to say is if the 1997 Asian economic crisis represented such a big deal for this country

at that time and then we find out 12 years later that hardly any of it has been dealt with- surely in some way in some form there

will be consequences ?

Am I missing something? Surely whatever the denomination is -debt is debt unless they suddenly swap

it for Monopoly money ? :o What I am trying to say is if the 1997 Asian economic crisis represented such a big deal for this country

at that time and then we find out 12 years later that hardly any of it has been dealt with- surely in some way in some form there

will be consequences ?

Midas

I doubt it the US has paid of it's debt from the second world war. They just keep accumulating more debt.

Am I missing something? Surely whatever the denomination is -debt is debt unless they suddenly swap it for Monopoly money ? :o What I am trying to say is if the 1997 Asian economic crisis represented such a big deal for this country at that time and then we find out 12 years later that hardly any of it has been dealt with- surely in some way in some form there will be consequences ?

Midas

I doubt it the US has paid of it's debt from the second world war. They just keep accumulating more debt.

BTDT has the explanation that applies Midas.

Those big banks were lending money to fuel the warmachines of both sides.

If you search for below article (sorry forgot to bookmark) you understand why big wars like that are good for the economy.

post-21826-1234620056_thumb.jpg

I you want to read a good book about the last urrrrrr 100 years of war how they were funded and many other intersting stuff you gotta buy: The war of the worlds written by Niall Ferguson.

Hi all,

I have been going through some very big documents and today another 300+ pages document called The Global Agenda which is the agenda used during the WEF. This and some other documents confirm my strong belief that worser news has yet to come.Not only in terms of this bank fiasco but more alarming is the coming food and water crisis. MSM does not have many articles about it but there are a lot of other sites that do have info. For those of us lucky enough to have some land and a piece of roof I think it would be wise to think of installing some sort of alternative form of energy production like wind and solar and have a piece of the land reserved for food production and drill a well for water supply and make a natural water filter. Have this kind of back up plan ready when things start to turn real ugly! That stimulus bill has over a 1000 pages, most peeps in Congress have not even read it before voting yes. The next six to nine months will give a good indication of where we are heading, I tell you, it will be like this:

post-21826-1234630479_thumb.jpg

Here a few snip's.

post-21826-1234629838_thumb.jpg

post-21826-1234629857_thumb.jpg

post-21826-1234629885_thumb.jpg

post-21826-1234630017_thumb.jpg

Shi-ites are more moderate than Sunni

i strongly beg to differ Henry!

English is not my native language that's why I choose the wrong word. I was meaning that Shi'ite are more modern. Maybe an example can explain it better.

Gen research is not forbidden by Shi'ite, also paintings and pictures of the prophet are allowed.

Both are forbidden by Sunni.

Furthermore we should make an distinction between the oppressive fanatic Islamic Ayatollah regime and his young, very well educated population who are sick of them. Many people don't seems to know that there's an internal struggle going on inside the regime.

Don't forget the Iranian Shi'ite are Persians and no ignorant Arabs. Just look to the number of Iranian scientist and medical doctors working in the West.

The Ayatollah regime will collapse there is no doubt about it. And we will be surprised how quickly Iran will be westernized and Islam will loose his devastating influence.

Hi all,

I have been going through some very big documents and today another 300+ pages document called The Global Agenda which is the agenda used during the WEF. This and some other documents confirm my strong belief that worser news has yet to come.Not only in terms of this bank fiasco but more alarming is the coming food and water crisis. MSM does not have many articles about it but there are a lot of other sites that do have info. For those of us lucky enough to have some land and a piece of roof I think it would be wise to think of installing some sort of alternative form of energy production like wind and solar and have a piece of the land reserved for food production and drill a well for water supply and make a natural water filter. Have this kind of back up plan ready when things start to turn real ugly! That stimulus bill has over a 1000 pages, most peeps in Congress have not even read it before voting yes. The next six to nine months will give a good indication of where we are heading, I tell you, it will be like this:

post-21826-1234630479_thumb.jpg

Here a few snip's.

post-21826-1234629838_thumb.jpg

post-21826-1234629857_thumb.jpg

post-21826-1234629885_thumb.jpg

post-21826-1234630017_thumb.jpg

:D

:o:D:D Booooring, and you are only serving to attract the likes of another disciple of gloom, 12D.

Do you have any info to back up your personal claims?

Have you ever been to Iran and talked with people? (I did).

Or do you just read MSM and your opinion is based on what they feed you?

Very interested to hear your experience.

will be consequences ?

Midas

The classic stealing from the future :D

It has worked & could continue as long as it has the backing of the peoples faith.

Shi-ites are more moderate than Sunni

i strongly beg to differ Henry!

English is not my native language that's why I choose the wrong word. I was meaning that Shi'ite are more modern. Maybe an example can explain it better.

Gen research is not forbidden by Shi'ite, also paintings and pictures of the prophet are allowed.

Both are forbidden by Sunni.

Furthermore we should make an distinction between the oppressive fanatic Islamic Ayatollah regime and his young, very well educated population who are sick of them. Many people don't seems to know that there's an internal struggle going on inside the regime.

Don't forget the Iranian Shi'ite are Persians and no ignorant Arabs. Just look to the number of Iranian scientist and medical doctors working in the West.

The Ayatollah regime will collapse there is no doubt about it. And we will be surprised how quickly Iran will be westernized and Islam will loose his devastating influence.

that is correct but you find extremely backward and fundamentalist Shiites in Saudi Arabia (al-Hasa province is purely shia), Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and even India. compared to those even the saudi wahhabi Sunnis seem to possess moderate thinking and adapting to modern times. once you experienced the shia holiday Muharram you know what i am talking about.

Midas

I thought they financed the UK in WWII, a debt which didn't get paid off until fairly recently.

Who was lending money to the Yanks?

during the war U.S. citizens, after the war U.S. printing presses and the rest of the world partly intimidated by Bretton Woods and later the political, military and economic power of the U.S. of A.

Bretton Woods is long gone but the other reasons/forces still exist and will exist for years to come.

Good article, fortunately you appear to be in Thailand and not the USA. Primarily corporate greed took over unchecked and you can see the result. Without jobs, the masses can no longer buy the products being imported on a cascading torrent. Years and years of unbalanced and unfair trade as well as massive budget deficits have finally taken their toll. I read an article where the shift went from an industrial economy to a financial one which produces nothing and is prone to high risk investiment strategies and corruption. Now when the house of financial cards, (banks and investment firms) collapsed we are left with essentially a rust belt of out-moded factories since most industries have been out-sourced overseas. The economy is almost totally a service based one which pays nothing and cannot sustain the home loans and costs of raising a family in the US. On top of that, we fought the cold war with tremendous costs in lives and finances. Ironically China, a Big Red country now is financing the debt ridden USA, and conceiveably could blackmail us economically if we don't do as they say. The parallels of this decline can be compared to that of Rome, Spain, France and England.

I'm mostly pissed about the bailout. It was paraded before us just like the Iraq war with the government saying we had to rush to action or the end of the world was neigh. Well the thing passed and what happens? Bankers redecorated their offices and gave themselves bonuses. That was the biggest scam of a lifetime and I have to unwillingly pay for it. All that will happen at the end of this is the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. CEOs and bankers are not suffering just the chumpy office bots like I used to be. It's amazing the people who made this problem with their greed and incompetence are being richly rewarded. However personally I like watching Wall Street crash and hope it goes lower because corporations deserve to be making less. I doubt a revolution is coming but if the big guy might suffer just a little bit it will be worth it though I doubt they will suffer as long as we keep throwing them a bone and enabling this crap. I do think the economic collapse is real but a bunch of opportunist vultures seized on it as a means to widen the economic divide as they pout that they can't get 5 million bonuses every quarter and need more billions to keep the scam going.

Good morning playmates !

Another day................and another country ! :o

Ireland ‘could default on debt’

Iain Dey

The Sunday Times

February 15, 2009

FEARS are mounting that Ireland could default on its soaring national debt pile, amid continuing worries about its troubled banking sector.

The cost of buying insurance against Irish government bonds rose to record highs on Friday, having almost tripled in a week. Debt-market investors now rank Ireland as the most troubled economy in Europe.

Simon Johnson, the former chief economist of the International Monetary Fund, called for this weekend’s meeting of G7 finance ministers to put Ireland’s troubles at the top of the agenda.

Johnson said: “Don’t, please, tell me more about the basic principles of financial reform unless and until you have addressed the Irish problem. And don’t tell me the Irish have to sort this out for themselves. Eventually, the world always comes to help; check your notes on Iceland.

Related Links

y.

Following the scandal at Anglo Irish Bank over undisclosed loans, the market fears there are more hidden problems that could ultimately fall to the state to resolve.

With Ireland set to borrow an additional €15 billion (£13.4 billion) this year, the national debt pile will hit €70 billion.

The cost of insuring Irish debt hit 350 basis points on Friday, meaning that for every £100 of debt it would cost £3.50 to insure against default. A year ago it would have cost 10p to insure every £100 of Irish debt.