Financial Crisis

where since five full years the whiners and whingers are forecasting crisis after crisis "any time from now", not admitting that they missed the investment opportunity of a life time.

Maybe you can remind us what happened in the 2 years prior to those 5 years.

My memory isn't that good anymore, the only thing I remember that I read a lot of advise to buy in 2007 .

to buy what? what i can tell about the years prior to the crisis years is based on my individual situation and investment strategy respectively asset selection.

in 2004/2005 the fat years investing in emerging markets sovereign debtor bonds fizzled out. no more 15, 20 and more percent but "meager" 8-10% and that from debtor countries with a rating below investment grade vs. a good mix of cash in various currencies yielded 4-5%. EM bond yields kept on falling in 2006 and 2007, single B rated debtors, who had to pay 15% a few years ago, sold bonds (to my utmost dismay) with a 7% yield. therefore i kept on accumulating cash to fulfill an old dream of mine "80% diversified cash and 20% gambling money".

middle of march 2008 we spent a week in Macau and on a friday evening local time the BearSterns bankruptcy surfaced. it was a quite unsettling weekend because i was in with a substantial amount. only a short time later the FED financed with public money the BS take-over by JPMorgan. i did not lose a penny but learned my lesson, cashed in nearly half of my assets and considered myself very lucky on sept 15 when Lehman filed for bankruptcy. the lion share of assets i still held dived >50% in a matter of days but i sold with a loss whenever there were bids. some of my friends held, recovered their losses by 2010/11 but didn't have the cash to go on a cherry picking spree in 2009.

summary: i had to abandon my dream of holding 80% cash sad.png

And you're confident that the recent history can't repeat itself, this time with less luck for you ?

i did not lose a penny but learned my lesson,

Not so sure about that statement, time will tell I guess.

the LORD giveth and the LORD taketh. i have no confidence in anything except the fact that in due time i will be dead. have reduced paper assets to ~60% and plan to reduce them to less than 50% in a year or two.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• midas

• Naam

• flying

• 12DrinkMore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In what sectors are the non paper assets sir naam ? I am most intrigued to know.

agricultural and residential land (not in Thailand) as well as easy to store works of art (lithographs).

In what sectors are the non paper assets sir naam ? I am most intrigued to know.

agricultural and residential land (not in Thailand) as well as easy to store works of art (lithographs).

My art interest is in ukiyo-e but I don't think I will make any money on them.

We are in the global financial crises thread.

where since five full years the whiners and whingers are forecasting crisis after crisis "any time from now", not admitting that they missed the investment opportunity of a life time.

My memory isn't that good anymore, the only thing I remember that I read a lot of advise to buy in 2007 .

You are correct but you don't need memory to ascertain WHO was saying buy buy buy in mid to late 2007. Use the search function for prior to 2007 and don't be surprised if you determine its the very same Phds of this thread who then at the March 2009 low said death, death, death sell sell sell the world is going to explode and they are still saying that.

Because this thread has gotten into the open news channels, the Mafia is now laying off judges worldwide. whistling.gif

We are in the global financial crises thread.

You are correct but you don't need memory to ascertain WHO was saying buy buy buy in mid to late 2007. Use the search function for prior to 2007 and don't be surprised if you determine its the very same Phds of this thread who then at the March 2009 low said death, death, death sell sell sell the world is going to explode and they are still saying that.

Because this thread has gotten into the open news channels, the Mafia is now laying off judges worldwide. whistling.gif

And now you can do this homework:

If we are indeed at a true market top (yet to be proven) you can count on Psychology 101 working once again on this thread's dynamic, namely it will slowly revert to bullishly exuberance in the economy's prospects just as the turn to the abyss occurs. You see, by definition THEY have to be on the wrong side of a major turn. Every time. This is Priceless education you are being alerted to so you can revel in the foolishness and madness of crowds. Only way to defeat this colossal madness is to go 100% Individual.

I kinda gotta warn 'em though - this downturn could go 4 years so if they go bullish now and then bearish 4 years from now at the bottom it will truly suck because the next bullmarket from approx. 2018 low will go 70 years.

Goddamn, being wrong for 70 years? what kinda penance must have one been given - and more importantly, by whom? I would like to meet his wife. No woman could sit still thru' such prolonged wrongness, she'd find someone who pays better within 3 weeks of this madness.

Jesus wasn't married for that reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSwG9Tojg9I&feature=player_detailpage

only sh*t fetches money. real art is for aficionados who buy what they like and only part with it when on the way to the graveyard or crematorium.

only sh*t fetches money. real art is for aficionados who buy what they like and only part with it when on the way to the graveyard or crematorium.

Money doesn't necessarily buy taste old boy.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But it certainly helps.

No, no. You can achieve the same look at B&Q, you just need to be creative.

But it certainly helps.

Good luck with that.

But it certainly helps.

Good luck with that.

Get the colour chart out and a few terracotta pots and you're away. Bit of 1/2" crushed gravel.

Re-read Post #1 January 2009

See date of when the thread started on the attached Dow Jones daily chart. Give it some thought. See that big move on the right of the chart after the March 2009 low that you missed? Come on fellas, go back to the drawing board and find a better way to approach your anal-ysis. How long is it going to take for you to figure out that you need to change your perspective?

post-97840-0-04225700-1405132882_thumb.j

For entertainment purposes only ........ the Ma & Pa of thread, Financial Crisis found. They be Ben Bernanke (FED chief) & Henry Paulson (Treasury Sec.,)

This is my collection of what these 2 US govt. top dogs were saying before and during the GREAT CRASH of October 2007 - March 2009

smile.pngbiggrin.pngwhistling.gif

June 20th, 2007 – Bernanke: The mortgage debacle “will not affect the economy overall.''

July 12th, 2007 – Paulson: "This is far and away the strongest global economy I've seen in my business lifetime."

August 1st, 2007 – Paulson: "I see the underlying economy as being very healthy,"

October 15th, 2007 – Bernanke: "It is not the responsibility of the Federal Reserve - nor would it be appropriate - to protect lenders and investors from the consequences of their financial decisions."

May 7, 2008 – Paulson: 'The worst is likely to be behind us . . . . ”

May 16th, 2008 – Paulson: "In my judgment, we are closer to the end of the market turmoil than the beginning."

July 16th, 2008 – Bernanke: On Freddie and Fannie: “They will make it through the storm”, "… in no danger of failing.","…adequately capitalized"

Only two months later both were nationalized.

February 14th, 2008 – Paulson: (the economy) "is fundamentally strong, diverse and resilient."

See date of when the thread started on the attached Dow Jones daily chart. Give it some thought. See that big move on the right of the chart after the March 2009 low that you missed? Come on fellas, go back to the drawing board and find a better way to approach your anal-ysis. How long is it going to take for you to figure out that you need to change your perspective?

Just a couple of points. While this thread probably started when you say (I haven't checked) it is the second thread on the topic. I can't remeber the name of the other one but it preceded this one by a year or two and ended when this one began. Not only did many of us not "miss" anything, some of us caught the ride both ways while leveraged. Have a nice day.

11/28/08 & 3/3/09 Bernanke : “We expect to see recovery beginning in the second half of 2009.

The children of thread Financial Crisis failed to at least do as well as Bernie suggested by getting into the bullmarket in the 2nd half of 2009.

----------------------------------------------------

But I expect that now having gotten to know these guys better thru' their posts, they must be turning the bearish corner and becoming bullish. Why? Because Margin Debt has broken yet another record and now EXCEEDS that of the 2007 TOP. whistling.gif

Therefore the thread should now go bullish just as world markets form the final top.

post-97840-0-33914200-1405217592_thumb.j

Just a couple of points. While this thread probably started when you say (I haven't checked) it is the second thread on the topic. I can't remeber the name of the other one but it preceded this one by a year or two and ended when this one began. Not only did many of us not "miss" anything, some of us caught the ride both ways while leveraged. Have a nice day.

Post the thread title, then. I'd like to read it.

That you and a few others caught the ride both ways while leveraged? Your posts here along with 99.99999999999% of the others suggests CLEARLY you cott zip.

i.e. just going by the evidence of what's written, which is all there is to go on.

Thus far with limited time at these boards, I've found only ONE person who does OK in the markets. I believe his name is Nam or Naam. It appears he deals for the most part with Bonds.

Have a marvelous day

Heeding my sainted nona's sage wisdom that "an ass will bray and bray, until he finds another ass" I will leave you to your pontifications.

Posts in violation of the following forum rule have been removed:

9) Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

OK no braying, :) inviting you to join me in a thread with NEW trades showing instrument\entry date and price\stop\TP expectations\etc.

Come on, Chief, show me your stuff. :)

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”

Bernard M. Baruch

“Millions saw the apple fall, Newton was the only one who asked why?”

Bernard M. Baruch

“Never follow the crowd.”

Bernard M. Baruch

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

“I never lost money by turning a profit.”

Bernard M. Baruch, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

“The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many men as possible.”

Bernard M. Baruch

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal fav, but I will try to do better. You know I exited in April. Next market move I'll tr to hold on a bit longer

“I made my money by selling too soon.”

Bernard M. Baruch

What you know about the people on these boards is a big fat zip, if that wasn't the case you wouldn't have just made your most recent post!

Arrogant, loudmouth and grandstanding, boring really.

Q.E.D.

This type of post violates the same rules I'm forced to abide by.

Biz inside app.

Next round of financial crises here we come- any time now:

""""

Its always any time now.

I like the way you said you have a house in London. Talk about understatements. And remember my advice:

Virginity like bubble, one prick all gone

Lane, please answer these questions

(1) Are you going to send me the thread link you are referring to?

(2) If it is true by your own admission that you caught the entire bullmarket from 2009 up with leverage to boot, PRAY enlighten me as to why your followers in all the threads here on the markets ARE PERENIALLY ON THE WRONG SIDE?

And pls note: I have done my homework, read as much as possible and am asking you to help me understand this obvious glaring outpoint

Same question to Naam, please.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

in line with the stock market classic, "where are the customers' yachts?"

http://andypo.squidoo.com/where-are-all-the-customers-yachts