Financial Crisis

mccw, on 14 Jun 2014 - 19:26, said:snapback.png

I'd be more worried about spiking oil prices; 200 dollars, 400. I heard these numbers bandied around on bloomberg yesterday depending on how serious Iraq turns out; then there's Libya on the edge too. 200 dollar oil enough to depress western spending and push them all in to recession? Probably given how wafer thin the growth is. How that spirals through the debt pyramid is anyone's guess.

West Texas Intermediate fell for a fifth day after capping the biggest monthly decline in more than two years amid signs of weaker fuel demand in the U.S., the world’s biggest oil consumer. Brent was steady in London.

Futures slid as much as 0.5 percent in New York, extending a 6.8 percent loss in July. WTI closed below $100 a barrel yesterday after a government report showed gasoline inventories rose to the highest level in four months as demand fell. Brent is heading for a weekly decline amid speculation that energy supplies from Russia will be unaffected by further sanctions over Ukraine. Prices pared losses as China’s manufacturing expanded at the fastest pace in more than two years.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-01/wti-falls-after-biggest-monthly-drop-in-two-years-brent-slides.html

whistling.gif

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• midas

• Naam

• flying

• 12DrinkMore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Surprise for some retaliation in kind against EU sanctions.

Another piece is quoting Russia as saying an effect of the EU sanctions will be leading to higher energy prices for Europe.

This is getting to a more costly game for EU.

Can they afford it?

A source i've been reading mentions that with the economic sanctions Putin may lose the support from the oligarchs in his country, as they are losing billions, which could mean he has to watch his back.

Putin has a documented history of Jailing or killing Oligarchs who step out of line.

So I think it's probably the other way around. The oligarchs don't dare speak openly let alone act.

All stories like you mention I have read are "private accounts" from undeclared sources saying names people are in happy; never any names or positions or people; just "the oligarchs are not happy" , says the the western press ; hmm

which oligarch was killed by Putin and how is this documented?

Ok ; so Jailed the Kordoski (I lazy to the proppa spelling any of these names) for daring to stand against him. Just let him out after what ; 10years?

Berovoski - killed/ poisoned? In a similar way luksenchenko was. : http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/boris-berezovsky-dead-chemical-biological-1781301

A source i've been reading mentions that with the economic sanctions Putin may lose the support from the oligarchs in his country, as they are losing billions, which could mean he has to watch his back.

Putin has a documented history of Jailing or killing Oligarchs who step out of line.

So I think it's probably the other way around. The oligarchs don't dare speak openly let alone act.

All stories like you mention I have read are "private accounts" from undeclared sources saying names people are in happy; never any names or positions or people; just "the oligarchs are not happy" , says the the western press ; hmm

which oligarch was killed by Putin and how is this documented?

Ok ; so Jailed the Kordoski (I lazy to the proppa spelling any of these names) for daring to stand against him. Just let him out after what ; 10years?

Berovoski - killed/ poisoned? In a similar way luksenchenko was. : http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/boris-berezovsky-dead-chemical-biological-1781301

there's nothing "documented" that Berezovski was killed by order of Putin no matter what the British rainbow press writes. Khodorkovski was sentenced and jailed by a court of law for various crimes.

personally i believe that he deserved jail for being more stupid than any law allows.

Assuming you mean Yushchenko, there are troubling details out regarding his poisoning and rapid recovery.

Some happenings around the last uprising seem to have been false flag ops...

Assuming you mean Yushchenko, there are troubling details out regarding his poisoning and rapid recovery.

I meant the guy who was radiation poison and cancer and died after a couple years in hospital. Long nasty death. Was stuck in the leg by a brolly in London is the theory. A radio active agent they reckon could only have come from a state opperator. And Russia was the one he was pissing off- who had the material and the means to do it.

^^ Naam, regards "taste".

I work for a big demo firm in Essex. Believe me, they discuss it and quantify it at some length. sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png

Money doesn't necessarily buy taste.

you brought irrelevant taste in a discussion about facts, i.e. alternative investments e.g. lithographs which are very easy to store, move and to liquidate. investors who use that kind of value storage care a flying fart about taste and most probably won't even look at the "art" they acquired.

note: taste as far as art is concerned does not exist and can therefore not be quantified, neither in Essex, nor in London, New York or Nakhon Nowhere.

the latin phrase "de gustibus non est disputandum" is worldwide acknowledged even though it might not be known or understood by some "art eggsburts" of a big demo firm Essex.

post-35218-0-33400100-1407024476.jpg

The turn has occurred

you are not broke anymore? huh.png

Always deadbroke but fully alive and never asleep and never discussing Oligarchs at great turns like that of Oct 2007, March 2009 and July 25th, 2014 - which is why I catch 'em. smile.png

Oct 2007 and March 2009 = correct. but the jury is still out to decide whether a great turn has happened in july. we'll know within a few days.

Btw Naam

Lithographs - I recently helped to sell a few - Henry Moore's

Best we could get was just over half the details price. I don't know what yours are obviously and one is surely not the same as the other. But just to share the experience- Not sure you'll find them a great store of value.

If not looking at the things why not just buy gold or some art you actually enjoy looking at? Fine antiques or something.

Classic cars?

until now i never lost a penny but made nice profits during 2½ decades (especially in the late 90s) with signed lithos (e.g. Dali, Picasso, Miro, Hasegawa). never liked any of them, some of them i even considered extremely ugly (as opposed to the Mrs) and only a few were framed and hung in our homes before selling them again. i own all the gold i need and our homes are stuffed to the brim with works of art and antiques. i own one classic car but don't count it as store of value because its location is Thailand and its value is light years away from the million dollar range where it starts if one wants to invest in cars and also justify the cost to store it according to its value.

The turn has occurred

Always deadbroke but fully alive and never asleep and never discussing Oligarchs at great turns like that of Oct 2007, March 2009 and July 25th, 2014 - which is why I catch 'em. smile.png

Oct 2007 and March 2009 = correct. but the jury is still out to decide whether a great turn has happened in july. we'll know within a few days.

You're waiting for the jury aka HERD to tell you when\if? At major turns these cats are always late and dead when a turn has been acknowledged.

Therefore as a lone warrior I state July 17th, 2014 was the TOP and July 25th confirmed it. A BEAR market of historic proportions is underway.

You're waiting for the jury aka HERD to tell you when\if? At major turns these cats are always late and dead when a turn has been acknowledged.

Therefore as a lone warrior I state July 17th, 2014 was the TOP and July 25th confirmed it. A BEAR market of historic proportions is underway.

what counts for me is that i made money between july 17 and today.

I meant the guy who was radiation poison and cancer and died after a couple years in hospital. Long nasty death. Was stuck in the leg by a brolly in London is the theory. A radio active agent they reckon could only have come from a state opperator. And Russia was the one he was pissing off- who had the material and the means to do it.

you mean Litvinenko.

as a former FSB officer, he was one snake in a bag of snakes.

your personal belief can be that Putin's side ordered him killed, but I don't believe it to be very probable, since they would have done it discreetly, i.e. not using a method that would make worldwide headlines.

have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Litvinenko_assassination_theories

The article is very revealing, at least in which type of characters Litvinenko was dealing with.

One of the four lower theories or a combination thereof seem more probable to me.

I thought that central banks couldn't possibly sink any lower until I read this

WikiLeaks reveals Australian gagging order over political bribery allegations

In a statement published with the leak, Julian Assange, Wikileaks founder, said the gagging order relates to a case that “concerns the subsidiaries of the Australian central bank

A sweeping gagging order issued in Australia to block reporting of any bribery allegations involving several international political leaders in the region has been exposed by WikiLeaks. The Australia-wide gagging order is a superinjunction, which means it also contains a clause insisting that the terms of the order itself should remain secret.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/30/wikileaks-australia-super-injunction-bribery-allegations

Edited by midas

what counts for me is that i made money between july 17 and today.

So did the fellas working at McDonald's - even the massage girls, their complaints about not enough cutomers notwithstanding :)

The turn has occurred

Since you're waiting for the jury aka crowd aka mob to decide on whether or not a great turn has occurred, please tell them this - it might speed things up :)

The spread in Yield between Junk debt and US treasuries was recently at its narrowest since July 2007 (there it is again, that other less talked about top of 2007)

Barclays' US High Yield Index hit an all time low on June 20 of 4.83% and then rocketed north in the same fashion as the US Savings Rate rocketed from 0% to 7% in

a matter of days right after the 2008 crash got going. Can you dig this, Herr Oberst?

Would you like to surf this tsunami wave with me, Herr Oberst? :)

I suppose it gives one something to do each day of retirement, but it sounds like a lot of stress. I just sit back and allow my bank to pay me 5.5% (less 2% of that for a nominal tax) for 5 years at a time. Term deposits are brilliant :)

i don't "dig" and i don't want to waste time explaining why one can achieve yield whether markets go up or down.

Gotta dig it, dude. Write a book and make some money out of it if you don't want to waste your time explaining it here.

i don't "dig" and i don't want to waste time explaining why one can achieve yield whether markets go up or down.

Gotta dig it, dude. Write a book and make some money out of it if you don't want to waste your time explaining it here.

too many books out with not applicable theoretical contents, most of them not worth reading. no book can cover in details the infinite possibilities available in daily changing markets. the same applies to the bigmouthed gurus presented ad nauseam by various TV-channels worldwide.

I suppose it gives one something to do each day of retirement, but it sounds like a lot of stress. I just sit back and allow my bank to pay me 5.5% (less 2% of that for a nominal tax) for 5 years at a time. Term deposits are brilliant smile.png

forgive me for pricking a "brilliant" bubble. from the viewpoint of an investor any term deposits with a duration exceeding three months are nothing but handcuffs and heavy chains wrapped around the feet.

but if the 5.5% in Oz or Kiwi Dollars make you happy you have my blessing wai2.gif

I suppose it gives one something to do each day of retirement, but it sounds like a lot of stress. I just sit back and allow my bank to pay me 5.5% (less 2% of that for a nominal tax) for 5 years at a time. Term deposits are brilliant smile.png

forgive me for pricking a "brilliant" bubble. from the viewpoint of an investor any term deposits with a duration exceeding three months are nothing but handcuffs and heavy chains wrapped around the feet.

but if the 5.5% in Oz or Kiwi Dollars make you happy you have my blessing wai2.gif

Ouch !!!! w00t.gif