Retirement Renewal

my retirement visa runs out in april. but i will be in the states at that time. i leave thailand in two weeks. can i renew my retirement visa in the usa. or can i renew it early here in thailand before i leave? if i renew it in febuary will that be the new due date next year. or will they keep it starting in april. anybody know?

thanks in advance

It may depend on the office and officer. Jomtien will do extensions as early as three months before permission to stay ends, so maybe you can do it early now. I would suggest bringing in your air ticket proof to back up your case, especially if not in Jomtien.

Your date will be THE SAME.

For example, if your current permission to stay is 15 April 09 and you renew it in February, the new permission will be 15 April 2010.

Bottom line, I do think if you can show an air ticket most officers will allow this early extension. In Jomtien, you probably don't need to show a ticket as they are encouraging people to extend early in press releases.

Edited by Jingthing

my retirement visa runs out in april. but i will be in the states at that time. i leave thailand in two weeks. can i renew my retirement visa in the usa. or can i renew it early here in thailand before i leave? if i renew it in febuary will that be the new due date next year. or will they keep it starting in april. anybody know?

thanks in advance

If you are talking about an extension of stay based on retirement (not a visa) you cannot renew it. You have to apply again. Immigration will probably let you apply early if you can show that you will not be in the country when your application is due. You will not lose out as it will be given from April.

I agree you cannot renew it in the USA. I was talking only about extending it early in Thailand. If for some reason you can't get the extension before you leave, you must start over (and there are different ways to do that should you need to do that, hope you don't!).

Edited by Jingthing

I'm in the same "boat"

My Retirement Extension is due early April, but I need to not be here at this time, departing end Feb or early March.

As advised earlier here, I will contact Korat Immigration closer to the time and seek their blessing.

They have a reputation for being quite lenient, but other offices may be hard to get on with re this issue.