Where Can I Go Fishing At Bkk?

yellowfish

Hey boys,

give that guy a break. He asked a question seriously and hence did not deserve just getting his leg pulled.

A few years ago I went fishing with a Thai friend in the suburbs of BKK. There are artificial lakes where you pay a fee and well, actually fish in the real sense of the word. At the place we went they pulled out lots of fish in respectable sizes and those buggers were edible. Actually, you could get your catch prepared right there into a delicious meal. Don't forget we are talking amazing Thailand and BKK has much more to offer than life after sunset and beside cats of female gender there are catfish as well.

Yellowfish, don't remember exactly where that place was but suggest you just consult someone in a store selling fishing equipment. Usually, all department stores offer this in their sporting good section.

Enjoy it and good luck,

Richard

Edited by Richard Hall

You might want to try Patpong or Soi cowboy...... :D  :o

penzman

Which part of Chao Phraya river. please inform to me?

5 kms this side of Ayutthya in the middle of the river facing downstream. The catches are more certain in Nana and the fish smell abounds.

There is only 2 things that smell of fish.

And ones a fish.

Where can I go fishing at bkk?

I stay near siam in bkk

please inform to me

Well, pretty close to Bkk, there's a new fishin' pond in Kanchanaburi. Sean & Tony at the No Name Bar have set it up and may be what your after? You can call Tony on 0998 78988 for more details.

Also, a new one in Hua Hin here http://www.hua-hinfishing.com/ A Brit/Thai operation. I believe both offer day trips or accomodation, plus catch n BBQ on the spot. Makes for a pleasant day out all in all.

Will be featuring both in Thailand Connect (bahtsold) mag, Feb edition. Any more out there? Just let me know.

thx, daniel

The No name guys are a pretty good crowd. When i was in Kanchanaburi i bought a decent set of tackle and booked a floating pontoon room at one of the guesthouses and sat drinking and fishing, a handful of small dog biscuits (donated by the guard) soon had them feeding.

hi'

my 2B here ...

I heard about a hudge lake about 45mn drive from BKK called "Boon sam lan lake", monster fish, but I think that you'd better look for a guide and kind of organized trip for your first time, useless to say that any rod brought from europe, even the ones for carp are far too light :o

expect fish between 25 to 100 kgs, many different species, asian carp, catfish, arapaima(snake fish), all big size :D

this lake also hold records for a few species ... arapaima(185kg) and catfish(140kg) along with carp ... world records :D

cheers and have a good time

francois

make a search, I had a site address once ... lost it ..sorry

I used to go fishing a lot back in Canada. The gear stayed with my dad when I moved here so I'm buying the gear all over again.... I'm not interested in the fishing ponds as you know what and how much you'll catch...

I'm going to try the Ban Pakhong river next week. It's a 15 minute drive from my house in Chonburi, maybe an hour or so from Bangkok. A good friend of mine and I are looking into buying a small boat for freshwater fishing.

As for fishing in Bangkok, I'd try anywhere along the bank if you don't have a boat. You may be able to charter or rent one as well.

Check out the monsters you can catch here in Thailand, all freshwater.

http://www.carpecarpio.com/exoticfishpictures.html

I used to go fishing a lot back in Canada. The gear stayed with my dad when I moved here so I'm buying the gear all over again.... I'm not interested in the fishing ponds as you know what and how much you'll catch...

I'm going to try the Ban Pakhong river next week. It's a 15 minute drive from my house in Chonburi, maybe an hour or so from Bangkok. A good friend of mine and I are looking into buying a small boat for freshwater fishing.

As for fishing in Bangkok, I'd try anywhere along the bank if you don't have a boat. You may be able to charter or rent one as well.

Check out the monsters you can catch here in Thailand, all freshwater.

http://www.carpecarpio.com/exoticfishpictures.html

Penzman, that link is amazing. I've seen fishermen catch sizable fish right off of bridges along the Choapraya River.

hi'

here is the link I was talking about : Fishing adventures in Thailand

have a nice visit :o

but, I have to say that you may find big fishing game in quite any nice Thai river, like Mae Nam Khok, or Mae nam ping or else ... and so many lakes.

all these rivers are the shelter of big fish for one main reason, Thais won't spend a lot of money to go fishing like westerners do ... and so all the bigs stay alive :D

just go one day along any river, and watch their way of fishing and then adapt your own style and technics, soon you'll see nice result :D

be prepared for some half-hour fights on any 15 or 20kg catfish :D

cheers

francois

Take the BTS down to Saphan Thaksin. Theres usually a few lads fishing there near the River Ferries.

I've passed a few hours with them a few times just watching and seeing what they catch. They would often catch fair size fish (not too sure of the species though)

Ayutthya has lots of good fishing too and is only an hour or so from BKK.

Edited by ProfessorFart

yellowfish...you mentioned "siam" in Bangkok. Is that Suan Siam (Siam Water Park) by any chance? I know this area and I know of a HUGE lake where you can just sit on the bank and drop in a line or two. Locals fish there all the time. It's not a quiet country spot but should offer plenty of fish. This lake is located on the northeast corner of the NIDA intersection. To find this, head east from the Mall Bangkapi on Ladprao Road which will turn into Serithai Road (formerly called Sukapiban 2). When you see the Bangkapi School on your immediate right just head straight for a couple more blocks and that intersection is the NIDA intersection. You'll see that lake in the right hand corner. Just turn left then do a U-turn wherever you want and pull up on the roadside. Good luck!

SIAM means BTS station of SIAM,

Two things: Number one, I made a mistake: Bangkapi School will be on your left as you're heading towards NIDA, not your right.

Number two, I don't know of any fishing areas around SIAM BTS but the closer you get towards downtown, the more polluted the water gets (which is polluted pretty much everywhere already). In the Chao Phraya River for example, the section south of Rama IV Bridge is the worst...fish living in that water probably have anough mercury in them to build a man-sized thermometer.

Still, Klong Saen Saep must be the absolute worst water in the city due to its not being as wide and fast flowing as the Chao Phraya. This is complicated by the high concentration of residential areas bordering the canal...who knows how many toilets are flushed into that water on a daily basis. The water in that canal is wicked and supposedly it was safe to swim in there and even get a mouthful 20 years ago.

I also forgot to mention that I would not eat any fish from that area, actually I don't eat fish but looove fishing.

It's obvious that the Chao Phraya is heavily polluted in the heart of Bangkok and downstream. Even if I did like to eat fish, I wouldn't since I have no idea of the water's quality anywhere in Thailand. I have also read that many of the coastal areas along the Gulf are heavily polluted as well with sewer discharge and dirty rainwater coming from the cities during the rainy season.

There must be some clean lakes and rivers somewhere.

penzman...Clean lakes and rivers are going the way of the Dodo bird. Some upcountry lakes and rivers with few settlements around them will probably offer decent fish although you shouldn't swim in them. Some of the major rivers, including the Chao Phraya, are classified by the Pollution Control Dept. as being in a "natural state" way upstream near where they begin. "Natural state" does not mean squeaky clean but simply not too heavily polluted. Even though there may not be much in the way of sewage and factory waste in these rural areas you still have to watch out for stuff like pig farms (or any animal farms), rice fields and other crop farms...the runoff of pesticides and organic wastes is almost as bad as what you would find in Central Bangkok. I would go by word of mouth and also look at maps...many folks in Thailand are not as well informed environmentally as the average Westerner is. Good luck and land a big one! :o