Pattaya Songkran

FarangFatal

massive throwing for a week?

I'm not sure, the first and last time I stayed here for Songkran was in 2007. Then the week started off fairly quietly, working up to a total manic frenzy by the following weekend. To be honest, I could put up with the first few days, but not the utter madness at the end.

Will it be the same this year, starting off quietly? Or, since the official holiday is at the start of the week, will it be a water-throwing, face-daubing, clothes-ruining craziness for the whole week?

Thats not entirely true.

The massive days in Pattaya is the 18th for Naklua and the 19th for Pattaya Klang/Tai

These are the days where the roads are full and water/powder everywhere.

The rest of the time its pretty quiet, well at least in Naklua.

Here me and my staff getting ready for battle :-)

Songkran.jpg

Edited by DonTron

The official holiday for Songkran is 13 - 15 April.

Pattaya "celebrates" on 19 April. Some areas around town are OK - just avoid where the "football hooligan" wannabees are, usually around Soi 7 and 8.

I've been told by one of these gentleman during the week - when I asked him not to pour water on me as I was dressed up and on my way out at 6:30p.m and in the back of a baht bus - "<deleted> off home cow, its the holidays and we can do what we like" as he then preceeded to grab a bucket of dirty water and pour it all over me!!

Love the 19th but hate the week of it, mostly ruined by the "holiday-makers" and I can't get out of town - I work here!!!!

Last year we departed Thailand because of the extended Songkran period in Pattaya. And yes its true soi 7/8 on second road around the avenue area is crazy and like theprasit road should be avoided if you don't want a soaking. This is not the purpose behind Songkran, the soaking I mean, a gentle trickle of water as a blessing is all that is required.But some individuals behave in such a way as to upset the majority and from where I stand they deserve all they get.

This year we will hibernate with sufficient supplies in the house and breathe a sigh of relief when it is over.

One last thing don't assume it stops prior to 7 p.m. cos it don't!!!

Its not to late to plan your strategy!!!!!

It does mostly stop by 9 PM, certainly 10 PM.

Its pointless to fight this. Either hide, leave, or shut up is all you can do. The locals figure the longest Sogkran in Thailand is a tourism draw so they milk it, or spray it, if you will ...

I pity people who have serious business here during that period, it is truly hellish if you are not in the party mode.

Edited by Jingthing

Before last year, I have sometimes quite enjoyed Songkran and even looked forward to it.. This year, I feel like getting a plane ticket out of the country.. Or Im going to stock up my house and stay in for the 18th and 19th. The days before the 18th are bearable. But the 19th is getting out of control.. Especially since I am a young white female - I seem to be a target for all the thai's. :D:o It can get quite dangerous with some people getting so drunk..

It used to be fun , over the last 3 years or so in Pattaya it has become an excuse for thuggery & maniacal stupidity.

We always warn our acquaintenances & friends to avoid Pattaya during this time as it is just street CRAP & absolutely NOTHING to do with the "Water Festival"

:o

It used to be fun , over the last 3 years or so in Pattaya it has become an excuse for thuggery & maniacal stupidity.

I agree :o

I remember about 8 years ago it was fun and nothing like this last couple of years..

Seems to be getting rougher and more dangerous each year.

Edited by Meg_2003

Baaah.. you guys are all a bunch of old whiners :o

Last year when I went to play with my staff it was great fun everywhere. Ok we didn’t go to the bad areas, and I heard it was a bit more hardcore there.

In fact the only fight I saw was a German and a Brit who obvious didn’t get the message that at Songkran you throw water at each other, not beer bottles.

Ok – to be perfectly honest, I would wish that Songkran only lasted one day and then it was over – so now who is the whiner :-D

I will never spend Songkran in Pattaya again. First time was a novelty, second time it just became boring and over the top.

I accept that it will suit some people but for me it is too "in your face" - especially the icy water ! :o

A far more pleasant time (in the true spirit of Songkran) can be had in the provinces - even the villages.

In places like CM and Pattaya, it has morphed into something dark and violent. They don't call it the water wars for nothing. I did the Chiang Mai on a truck thing once. Ended up cut and bleeding (edgy ice thrown at me) and picked up some kind of nasty infection from the dirty water. Once was enough.

Edited by Jingthing

It's time for the annual "Hate Pattaya Songkran" thread, except for the <deleted> who actually like it.

Best thing to do is leave, if only from a safety standpoint (motorbike drivers especially), and that's exactly what I'm gonna do. YEAH! USA HERE I COME!

The only problem for me is the dirty water that is being used.realy makes me sick if i swallow some.Cant stand the <deleted> farangs too,they make me feel ashamed of being english.

Dirty water is the least of your worries. On the one occasion I stayed here for Songkran, by the third day farangs around the Walking Street area were already publicly pissing into their water pistols. Of course, the imbecilic Thais saw the moronic farangs and decided to do the same thing. :o I wonder what else these twits put into their water pistols? :D I'm off to Phnom Penh for the duration this year, anyway.

Especially since I am a young white female - I seem to be a target for all the thai's. :D:o

I think Thai men use the Songkran opportunity to get a good grope in on any young and/or pretty female, Farang and Thai alike. :D

Edited by Phil Conners

Last year I had a water cannon sprayed point blank into my face from one meter away while on my motorcycle. This almost feels like a punch in the face. In some jurisdictions this could be considered aggravated assault and could cause serious injury if the high pressure water enters the eyes, ears or nose.

I had the last laugh as I grabbed his cannon and dumped it a couple of hundred meters up the road. If someone tried this in my home country it wouldn't have ended so cordially.