Moving To Thailand From The Uk

ianf

Has anyone got experience of moving to Thailand, with furniture, loads of books, lots of bicycles, CDs, high quality glasses and china and the wife's mountain of clothes (Just joking). All the usual bits but in my case complicated with the cycle stuff due to the fact that my son and I are racing cyclists. Who are the best people to use? Any experiences out there? Thanks

Allied Pickfords.

Yeah, they are not bad. Used them for moving into Singapore, which was no problem. Thailand, well.....might be worth looking at a couple of companies that are based here. AP are not, as f ar as I nkow, although probably use sub contracts.

My advice to you is don't do it.

I shipped 5 tea chests full of books, PCs, clothes, office equipment and a few other things to Thailand about 18 months ago.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING survived the journey intact. It took 1 month for the goods to arrive in Thailand and a further month for the goods to be delivered to me on Koh Phangan. The boxes were passed to various different locals, not delivered by a courier as the local agent had promised the shipping company, the end result was that every box had been opened, every box was damaged, everything had been taken out of the boxes at some stage, all of the packaging had been removed (guess they wanted to see what was inside the bubble wrap) and then the things they didn't steal they just threw back into the boxes, no attempt was made to repackage anything in any way. Everything that wasn't stolen was damaged, books had all got wet, pages had been ripped out, clothes were covered in what looked like chicken droppings, I have some photos I took for the insurance company somewhere, I'll post a couple if I can find them later.

After 11 months of emails, tracking down receipts in the UK and finding out prices for replacement items the shipping company finally refused to pay out on the insurance.

If you value your stuff then leave it in the UK.

I used Freight Links Bangkok.

3 pallets of personal effects from the UK to Surin.

Everything arrived safely, apart from my DVDs, that went missing for some reason.

Think you find they never went missing...think you will find Customs confiscated them as they do on occassion.

Sorry to read yr story mac, a bummer!

I shipped 401 kgs from BNE at a cost of A$1100 thru JetExpress & TG.

At around A$2.50 a kg, that can't be bad. Duty was only 3700 baht and TG waived their handling charges.

I brought everything except a bloody kettle. :o

Nothing was opened until the customs guy was present, we then loaded up.

Use airfreight, consolidated.

I used Freight Links Bangkok.

3 pallets of personal effects from the UK to Surin.

Everything arrived safely, apart from my DVDs, that went missing for some reason.

Think you find they never went missing...think you will find Customs confiscated them as they do on occassion.

Yes, thats right. I wasn't going to go and pay 100% duty when I can pick them up as copies at Pantip.

Has anyone got experience of moving to Thailand, with furniture, loads of books, lots of bicycles, CDs, high quality glasses and china and the wife's mountain of clothes (Just joking). All the usual bits but in my case complicated with the cycle stuff due to the fact that my son and I are racing cyclists. Who are the best people to use? Any experiences out there? Thanks

We used seven seas, everything arrived by sea about six weeks later door to door. It was just over 300 quid for four boxes and a large crated statue, excellent service and cheap, also no buggering about with customs charges the mrs just had to go down and show her ID for the stuff to get delivered. If anyone knows of any company as cheap going the other way I would love to know about it