Sexual Freedom And Morals In Thailand

dutchguest

In the Western wold, the anti-promiscuity attitude is originated in the late 19th century and lasted till the mid 60's of the 20th century. And this was only an typical middle and upper-class phenomena. But in the lower classes, through history, promiscuity was a normal part of live. I was one of the lucky ones who experienced the transition. Occasional sex just for fun and without any commitment was started when the PILL was widely available. There is a reason why this era was called "The Golden Sixties"

Modern Thailand still have the 19th century attitude of puritanism. Just go to an swimming pool or a beach in a non tourist area, you never see a bikini, when a girl or women come out of the water there is another girl waiting with a towel; so nobody can see her wet swimsuit accentuating her body.

On non tourists beaches you still see Thai girls go into the water fully dressed and immediately take a towel to cover themselves.

Most people don't seems to realize that outside the tourist areas there is a complete different attitude towards sexual morality. Nudity is taboo in Thailand. 85% and maybe more of the TV programs in Europe will be banned on Thai TV. Puritanism as very much alive in Thailand. And when I write Thailand I mean the Thailand outside the tourist areas, and this puritanism go's also for middle class Bangkokians.

Look to the girls who wearing a mini skirt, they always wearing a hot-pant underneath, you could never see their slip like in Europe.

So even history books about sexual behaviour in the past are interesting, but are not related with the 21th Thai society.

He's right to a degree the olde worlde (not just Siam) was pretty saucy pre-19th century.

Just look at Hogarths paintings and what the Babylonians, Greeks and so on got up to etc.

An argument for the puritan style victorian mentality was that it allowed the repressed energy to be channelled into inventions and engineering marvels and so on.

However I can say that the surface level 'puritanesque' vibe we see is more of a facade in a fair few cases.

When the parents aren't looking or the youngsters are behind closed doors, believe you me, the puritan vibe gets dropped like a sack of potato's! :o

Interesting take on the dress change Nan. You might be onto something, but I have a feeling it was just a transition to cosy up to the western powers more than a reaction to a colonisation threat.

Edited by JimsKnight

In the Western wold, the anti-promiscuity attitude is originated in the late 19th century and lasted till the mid 60's of the 20th century. And this was only an typical middle and upper-class phenomena. But in the lower classes, through history, promiscuity was a normal part of live. I was one of the lucky ones who experienced the transition. Occasional sex just for fun and without any commitment was started when the PILL was widely available. There is a reason why this era was called "The Golden Sixties"

Modern Thailand still have the 19th century attitude of puritanism. Just go to an swimming pool or a beach in a non tourist area, you never see a bikini, when a girl or women come out of the water there is another girl waiting with a towel; so nobody can see her wet swimsuit accentuating her body.

On non tourists beaches you still see Thai girls go into the water fully dressed and immediately take a towel to cover themselves.

Most people don't seems to realize that outside the tourist areas there is a complete different attitude towards sexual morality. Nudity is taboo in Thailand. 85% and maybe more of the TV programs in Europe will be banned on Thai TV. Puritanism as very much alive in Thailand. And when I write Thailand I mean the Thailand outside the tourist areas, and this puritanism go's also for middle class Bangkokians.

Look to the girls who wearing a mini skirt, they always wearing a hot-pant underneath, you could never see their slip like in Europe.

So even history books about sexual behaviour in the past are interesting, but are not related with the 21th Thai society.

He's right to a degree the olde worlde (not just Siam) was pretty saucy pre-19th century.

Just look at Hogarths paintings and what the Babylonians, Greeks and so on got up to etc.

An argument for the puritan style victorian mentality was that it allowed the repressed energy to be channelled into inventions and engineering marvels and so on.

However I can say that the surface level 'puritanesque' vibe we see is more of a facade in a fair few cases.

When the parents aren't looking or the youngsters are behind closed doors, believe you me, the puritan vibe gets dropped like a sack of potato's! :o

Interesting take on the dress change Nan. You might be onto something, but I have a feeling it was just a transition to cosy up to the western powers more than a reaction to a colonisation threat.

Am I living in a parallel world??

Thailand has a "puritanesque vibe"??!!

As for "outside the tourist areas there is a complete different attitude towards sexual morality", where on earth do you think the women the sex pats/tourists go with, come from?? I hate to disillusion you, but they come from Issan - hardly a tourist playground!

As for "outside the tourist areas there is a complete different attitude towards sexual morality", where on earth do you think the women the sex pats/tourists go with, come from?? I hate to disillusion you, but they come from Issan - hardly a tourist playground!

Yes, but if they were such blatant, wanton hussies, how come the sexpat/tourist aren't finding them so raunchily prevalent in Issanland? Is it the water in Pattaya that does it?

There is still a sense of propriety with regard to sexual frolics in the boonies but I admit it is a stretch to call it puritanical.

Yes, but if they were such blatant, wanton hussies, how come the sexpat/tourist aren't finding them so raunchily prevalent in Issanland? Is it the water in Pattaya that does it?

There is still a sense of propriety with regard to sexual frolics in the boonies but I admit it is a stretch to call it puritanical.

Sex pats/tourists don't go to Issan. Although they may end up there after marrying an Issan woman in Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok etc.

As a aside, It seems interesting that the most historically important works of art (European and Asian) were created during times of sexual freedom. Take a walk around Angkor Wat, you can get the idea.

That is quite an interesting point. I need to think on it, but you may be right there, and I wonder what that really means about the human psyche.

According to Freud culture (and also art?) are build on the repression or sublimation of sexual impulses, the sexual energy is directed in another direction, towards creativity. I don't agree with this vision, I doubt if there is any relation between sexual freedom and art. And besides: what is art is also a debatable question.

Personally I agree with the tendency of the article that there is a reasonable sexual freedom in Thailand, more then in most western countries, especially among people in the villages who don't have much property. Hiso people have more to loose so there are stricter rules. Well may there be a tendency that hiso people can impose there values and norms downwards.

In response to the highlighted sentance above. If there is more sexual freedom in Thailand than most western countries then one question begs to be addresed - Why is it not acceptable to be able to view images of a peson not wearing clothing in a magazine or on the television in Thailand? Whereas in most Western countries we can view such images? This would be a good benchmark for a countries tolerance towards sexual freedom. - Will the government let us look at a naked body?

And I think you find that HISO university undergrads are exploring sexual freedom just as much, if not more so than the average rice picker.

Thai TV also blocks out images of people drinking and smoking cigarettes . Do you think this means that Thais don't drink or smoke??

Duhhh?......I was not saying people in Thailand don't have sex. We were talking about Thailand's attitude towards sex.

And my point was that Thailand's attitude towards smoking and drinking is about the same as it is towards sex. Outside high society, no-one could give a dam_n as long as they could make money from it! The only difference is that Western countries aren't as hypocritical as they don't have these problems to the same extent. Do you really believe there is less tolerance towards sex here than in the West (outside high society)?

This high society thing is a red herring. The high so folks are 'at it' as much as the so called low society. Same as Victorian Britian. Just a matter of how well you keep 'it' hidden.

Afraid you are living an illusion if you think its just birds from Issan - know of quite a few hi-so, uni students, and fair few other Bangkok types that aren't from Issan and do the same as you suggest.

Fair enough, but why do the vast majority come from Issan? And, surely nobody who has lived here for any time would seriously think that women from the top class of society find farang males attractive or behave in that way?? As previous posters have said, morality is rigidly enforced amongst the wealthy, until they are married!

Afraid you are living an illusion if you think its just birds from Issan - know of quite a few hi-so, uni students, and fair few other Bangkok types that aren't from Issan and do the same as you suggest.

Fair enough, but why do the vast majority come from Issan? And, surely nobody who has lived here for any time would seriously think that women from the top class of society find farang males attractive or behave in that way?? As previous posters have said, morality is rigidly enforced amongst the wealthy, until they are married!

A simple matter of economics.

As for the rest of your post , I think that you are incorrect in your assumptions. Way off the mark.

A so called high society Thai would have no problems dating a Farang if said farang was from a good back ground, of a similar age and shared common interests.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

A simple matter of economics.

As for the rest of your post , I think that you are incorrect in your assumptions. Way off the mark.

A so called high society Thai would have no problems dating a Farang if said farang was from a good back ground, of a similar age and shared common interests.

Yes, we see it all the time. All those farang men are with Thai women from the top tier of Thai society. :o I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if they've got the money they'd prefer to be with men that understand their culture! (Pretty much the same way Western women stick to men from their own culture)

Yes, we see it all the time. All those farang men are with Thai women from the top tier of Thai society. :o I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if they've got the money they'd prefer to be with men that understand their culture! (Pretty much the same way Western women stick to men from their own culture)

Just what have you got against Thai women and Farang men? Come on, get it off your chest, it might make you feel better.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

I think he's saying, Geek, that a farang is quite acceptable to a Thai - so long as he has plenty of dough.

Yes, I know what he/she is trying to say, but I have to disagree. It's the common misconception that ALL Thais only like foreigners for their money. In my expereince some Thais actually prefer relationships with foreigners, despite any potential financial rewards. As I said before, it helps if you are of a similar age, well presented and speak the language.

If you are an over 60 retired bricklayer then Pattaya is the best bet.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

"modern Thailand still have the 19th century attitude of puritanism"

That is just so much dribble. It is all a front. The way that they would like the world to see them or percceive them to be.

"look to the girls who wearing a mini skirt, they always wearing a hot-pant underneath" another line more dribble than the first.

I have yet to see a university or commercial college student wearing hot pants under their mini skirts.

You only have to glance at the girls riding pillion "side saddle" and you can see the works.

Visit any mall close to a university or college and they are parading in micro minis, or skirts with thigh slits as far as their knickers.

My GF was at a lecture last year where the lecturer told the girls to dress more respectibly when the came to his next lecture. He stated that he could see the colour of each girl (in the front row) knickers, and it was distracting him.

Get out there and smell (and see) the flowers (sic) :o

I think he's saying, Geek, that a farang is quite acceptable to a Thai - so long as he has plenty of dough.

Yes, I know what he/she is trying to say, but I have to disagree. It's the common misconception that ALL Thais only like foreigners for their money. In my expereince some Thais actually prefer relationships with foreigners, despite any potential financial rewards. As I said before, it helps if you are of a similar age, well presented and speak the language.

If you are an over 60 retired bricklayer then Pattaya is the best bet.

Geekfreaklover is 100% correct. Many, many Thai women (and men) prefer relationships with foreigners for reasons other than financial. 

The belief that Thai women in the old days had to preserve their virginity until their wedding day is false, she adds.

"As a matter of fact, we have no foundation for beliefs that gave importance to virginity. This is because men in Siam would move into their wives' houses after their wedding, unlike in the Western world where bloodlines and inheritances were and are still passed via paternal kinship," she says.

For this reason, there were no serious sexual restrictions for Siamese women and their social status was not inferior to men's. However, sexual intercourse was not something temporary. Since it could lead to serious relationships and marriage, women were taught to think and decide carefully before having sex with men.

I think the above quote from the BP-article is important if you want to understand the position of woman in Thailand and also the fact that they have a great (sexual) freedom and responsibility for the family and property continuation, a responsibility that was (and is still) in the west mainly that of the man. This concerns the majority of the people in Thailand, mostly farmers, especially in the countryside. Only the emergence of feudal lords and a hiso and middle class changes things and here man and male values are becoming more important. So the present situation is a mix of these two influences. Thats how I see things.

Further the fact of how people are clothed and how they behave in public and what is allowed on television are not so important in my view.