Cheers Beer.

Moonrakers

Quite a straight forward question.

I am just wondering how long such an abomination can stay on the market for, I bought some once to give it a try and after 1/2 glass I ended up throwing the rest (About 4 litres) away, it really was that bad.

With other tramps juices such as Leo, Archa, and even Chang available, surely not many can go for the cheers option.

I know that TV hardly offers a good cross-section of consumers, but how many on here can stomach the stuff?

*Edit*

I am not very good at this adding a poll thing, I don't know where it went to. :o

Edited by Moonrakers

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just wondering how long such an abomination can stay on the market for, I bought some once to give it a try and after 1/2 glass I ended up throwing the rest (About 4 litres) away, it really was that bad.

With other tramps juices such as Leo, Archa, and even Chang available, surely not many can go for the cheers option.

I know that TV hardly offers a good cross-section of consumers, but how many on here can stomach the stuff?

*Edit*

I am not very good at this adding a poll thing, I don't know where it went to. :o

It's bad, but seems quite popular in a lot of the local bars around here for some reason. Norrmally served in towers. Bloody disgsusting IMO, but Archa is also just as bad.

It was launched to dilute the market for Blue Ice, an imported beer. The makers of Cheers copied the color scheme of Blue Ice and poured lots of money to push Cheers and kill the competition.

[quote name='mrtoad' date='2009-01-28 12:09:04' post='2493453'

It's bad, but seems quite popular in a lot of the local bars around here for some reason. Norrmally served in towers. Bloody disgsusting IMO, but Archa is also just as bad.

It really is bad Archa, I don't know why anyone would drink it as a regular beer.

The Chang these days seems to taste of Chlorine (probably a bad batch of water was disinfected). Leo is O.K. and makes the best shandy with Sprite.

Whatever happened to Tai Beer? You can still get Red Horse if you look around; but that has a queer fruity taste.

The ultimate 'Tramp Juice' is Siam Sato priced at 24 Baht a big bottle. When you start on that stuff, it's time to brush-up your will and select a cremation Wat.

*Edit*

I went to a student bar when I was in Chiang Mai recently and all the Thai kids were drinking it like there was no tomorrow, but I guess that was because it was the cheapest beer available.

I went to a student bar when I was in Chiang Mai recently and all the Thai kids were drinking it like there was no tomorrow, but I guess that was because it was the cheapest beer available.

No, they think they are drinking Falang beer.

They hear falang say "cheers" before drinking.

No, they think they are drinking Falang beer.

They hear falang say "cheers" before drinking.

good one! i can drink cheers on a bad day,and archa i like,chang draught ok on a bad day.............but as for leo,tastes like knats piss to me.

Leo is the king of loso beers. The expats favourite. Best domestic beer.

Chang is too strong, punishing the next day.

Singha is drinkable, but has a bitter after taste.

Cheers should be taken off the market. Terrible.

Thai Heineken is not Heineken. Expensive and has no taste.

Archa is too weak.

OP asking for beer tasting on TV is worthless since anyone who's actualy moderately into beer or hasnt been brought up in a lower class community drinking cheap american girly beer will hate every thai beer on the market, and they will try to survive with heineiken being almost drinkable.

Thank god for supermakets that carry beerlao or stella artois, although these beer still kind of suck balls when you're used to have a bunch of microbrews in your own country.

The only way to not taste the ratpee in every thai beer is to be a smoker or to have killed your whole tastebud during your life.

I kind of like Archa.

Maybe because in my wife's home village there are only two beers aviable, cheers and archa.

Leo = Tramp juice :o

I quite like a drop of Leo - best go out and get a park bench!

Agreed, but really well chilled - ice cold!

And they are reasonable priced.

Why hasn't anybody mentioned "Foster's" yet as undrinkable liquid Murray manure, I wonder... :D

First time I tried Cheers I was astonished; could a such awful liquid exit and be called beer? But strangely enough all people I´ve spoken to disagree and like Cheers. :o

Leo have a strange taste to me. It almost taste like they sprinkled ashes from burned wood in it.

I tend to drink Federbraü if I have the option.

First time I tried Cheers I was astonished; could a such awful liquid exit and be called beer? But strangely enough all people I´ve spoken to disagree and like Cheers. :D

Leo have a strange taste to me. It almost taste like they sprinkled ashes from burned wood in it.

I tend to drink Federbraü if I have the option.

Never tried Cheers. And I will not either.

Leo is OK, as long as its cold.

Federbrau. :o I was 'forced' to drink that stuff at The Pool on Kaset-nawamin. No taste, and a funny aftertaste. <deleted> restaurant, too, but that is Off-T here.

Actually, I buy Asahi nowadays, when I can get it. Good stuff. Only 61baht for a biggy at Villa.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

I only dwink Guinness down in Hat Yai at 50b a can (was 45b until last week).

Singha, I can stomach but feel poo the next day.

Chang (wifebeater) not drunk in years and serious hang.

Cheers - I would rather dwink poo.

Leo - like something you put in your lawnmower.

Archa - nah.

They have Guinness in Hat Yai cos the Malay men dwink it when they party on the weekend.

Archa is OK.

Leo not too bad.

I love the taste of Chang.

Heineken? You can keep it.

Singha beer I cannot taste, it is like gnats pee.

No cider available where I am :o

Never had Cheer, so cannot comment but have taken note of the bad comments here and will avoid.

I only dwink Guinness down in Hat Yai at 50b a can (was 45b until last week).

Singha, I can stomach but feel poo the next day.

Chang (wifebeater) not drunk in years and serious hang.

Cheers - I would rather dwink poo.

Leo - like something you put in your lawnmower.

Archa - nah.

They have Guinness in Hat Yai cos the Malay men dwink it when they party on the weekend.

Sorry, but Guinness at 50 baht a can, I don't believe you!!

:o:D:D

50b wow i would drink guiness then,but dont like most of the beer/lager here.Love cider but too expensive to have 10 pints lol.

Back on the shorts now until beer lao is sold in Pattaya then i will give that a try.Odd times i have a cold san miguel lite but only as a thirst quencher.

50b wow i would drink guiness then,but dont like most of the beer/lager here.Love cider but too expensive to have 10 pints lol.

Back on the shorts now until beer lao is sold in Pattaya then i will give that a try.Odd times i have a cold san miguel lite but only as a thirst quencher.

Hmm! Yer, Guinness 50 baht a can, I wouldn't drink anything else. I'd even stop drinking coffee!!

:D:D:o

Is it draught Guinness in a can with a widget though?

I had a few Guinness's with a meal whilst in Malaysia once. The restaurant poured it into a glass before serving it to me without informing me that it was actually super strength Guinness (8.5% or something ridiculous like that), I remember thinking at the time that it didn't quite taste right.

I ended up rather drunk.

Thank god for supermakets that carry beerlao

Which supermarket(s) stock Beer Lao? Not seen it yet anywhere in Thailand except in bars & restaurants.

For the record, I agree with the general consensus that Cheers is awful. Leo is the best of the "cooking lagers", and Archa is OK, passable but wouldn't like to drink too many of them. Cheers, though, is much worse than either of them. I'd even drink Singha Light ahead of Cheers.