1st Time Visa Run To Aranyaprathet, Poipet Report & Advice

Hi we did our first visa run last week to Aranyaprathet / Poipet from Pattaya. As it was our first time we were naturally somewhat anxious. We read all the postings about what to do and how you don’t need any help from people who offer etc.

We decided to get a local taxi company we know really well and trust to take the 2 of us in a minibus as we didn’t really want to go on an organsed trip being stuck in a van with 4 strangers. Total cost for minibus was 3000 baht. We set out at 6.30 am. Journey time there 3 hours, journey time back 2 and a half hours, no problems there.

When we got to the border area we got out of the bus and 2 guys offered us a VIP visa service, having read stuff on here we said no thanks we don’t need it and then proceeded to walk around in circles for about 10 minutes getting totally lost as nothing is sign posted and its not at all clear where you need to go or what you need to do

The 2 guys followed us somewhat bemused and again offered to do the whole thing for us for 1500 baht each (400 baht more that the standard 1100 baht visa charge) In the end we gave in.

They filled in all the Thai and Cambodia visa forms for us and asked us for a photo and our passports. One guy took us to a small cafe to get a coffee while the other went off with our passports to get our Cambodia visas. At this point we did have a slight wave of panic thinking we have just given our passports to a complete stranger are we mad! But as promised 20 minutes later he returned with our Cambodia visas.

We were then led to Thai immigration to depart Thailand there was a long queue but we were taken to a desk with no queue at all and went straight through. We then were told to sit on some steps and wait while the other guy went and qued and took our passports in and out of Cambodia. Then it was straight back through Thailand immigration for a new 90 day stamp no problem.

The whole thing took about 50 minutes and was so easy, with no queuing and no waiting in line, and so worth the extra 400 baht. The guy gave us his card to call him next time we do a run, and we will it was worth every penny. Immigration obviously knew this company so I am assuming they must be legitimate. I know exparts on this forum begrudge spending 1 baht more than they have to but for us it was worth it.

I look forward to other peoples comments!

sniffdog.

errr ummm i might be wrong here but jack golf runs out of Sukhamvit Road Bangkok !

NOT Pattaya which is where daveb was

So i think he saved a bit : )

dave2 .... who read the post and knows Poipet / Aranyathrapet are NOT nice places to be on your own in !

I'd agree that saving 1 baht wouldn't be worth it, but paying an extra 2,000 to avoid sitting with others in a minivan is quite a bit extra.

I normally pay 1,800 baht for visa run from Pattaya and that includes free lunch.

tropo

I'd agree that saving 1 baht wouldn't be worth it, but paying an extra 2,000 ..... aggreed !

but daveb1 was in PATTAYA.... NOT Bangkok so how can he have used jack golf ? read the original post and stop drinking !

dave 2

Dave2, I think you might be educated a bit ... before making silly remarks and accusing people of drinking. On what stimulating stuff are you on there in the mountains?

http://jackgolf.com/en/visa_run/index.html#Pattaya

Actually, the cost is 2200 baht, so the savings are 1,600 for the two of them .... 800 baht per person savings is still nice ....

Jack has for this rate a VIP service .... no need to queue .... and indeed, Tropo, is right. Maneerat from Soi Post Office does the trip for THB 1,800 baht per person.

Can be a little crowded and not as good as Jack Golf. But then again you save another 800 baht for the two.

Edited by sniffdog

Jack Golf normally uses big buses (in Pattaya a van if under 9 people) so you might to sit with 30 up strange people.

Furthermore, Jack's staff evaluates every passenger before leaving. If he/hers passport/visa is not correct they send him home. But in the dozen or so trips I've done with Jack not one of them was delayed or plagued with problems.

But then again, you might find all kinds of reasons to justify you paid too much :o Maybe next time you should take the Mercedes Benz service for 17.000 baht per person. Why in the hel_l would somebody like to sit in an ordinary Toyota van?

Edited by sniffdog

I disagree that we paid "too much" we had a personal door to door service its like comparing a taxi with a bus yes it costs more but we preferred it, and I am not trying to justify it to anyone I am merely offering up our experience as a help to others! :o

Something here I don't understand. Why is everybody so upset that the OP spent, in their opinion, too much of his own money for the visa turn-around?

If he is happy with the results, who am I to question his reasoning?

He didn't ask for my approval before he took the trip and is not seeking my approval of his actions. He is merely passing on the information.

Something here I don't understand. Why is everybody so upset that the OP spent, in their opinion, too much of his own money for the visa turn-around?

If he is happy with the results, who am I to question his reasoning?

He didn't ask for my approval before he took the trip and is not seeking my approval of his actions. He is merely passing on the information.

Wasn't his sentence like 'I look forward to other peoples comments!' And who's upset?

Edited by sniffdog

We were then led to Thai immigration to depart Thailand there was a long queue but we were taken to a desk with no queue at all and went straight through. We then were told to sit on some steps and wait while the other guy went and qued and took our passports in and out of Cambodia. Then it was straight back through Thailand immigration for a new 90 day stamp no problem.!
I'd like to get back on topic here :-)

I am in Surin and have one or two questions:

What kind of visa do you have? You mention "90 days stamp" so I assume you do not have a TV double entry? Please elaborate :o

I'm in Surin and will have to do a run in 90 days (TV double entry) so I would like to get the number of the guys who were so helpful to you. I don't know if Poipet is an interesting destination for me from here distance wise, but I'd still like the info.

Thanks.

I'd like to get back on topic here :-)

I am in Surin and have one or two questions:

What kind of visa do you have? You mention "90 days stamp" so I assume you do not have a TV double entry? Please elaborate :o

I'm in Surin and will have to do a run in 90 days (TV double entry) so I would like to get the number of the guys who were so helpful to you. I don't know if Poipet is an interesting destination for me from here distance wise, but I'd still like the info.

Thanks.

He probably has a multiple entry non immigrant visa of some kind which gives him 90 days per entry.

It would be a very long border run for you from Surin. There is one that is much closer.