Badly Torn Calf Muscle

chang35baht

Hi guys, I would really like some info on the best way to treat my badly torn calf muscle that I incurred during a game of tennis this morning. I`ve been packing ice against it for the last hour. It`s steadily getting tighter making it difficult to straighten my leg out totally, although I did expect this. It`s bloody painful also. When it happened, I looked behind thinking someone had hit me on the back of the leg with a big stick. That was what it felt like.

Anyway, any advice would be greatful.

My wife says she`ll bring back medicine for me.

Is there any point in going to the doctor, if only to get the correct medicine?

Regards,

Chang35baht.

Good to see that your are still on the forum..

Please get to see an orthopedic surgeon asap. You may be developing "compartment syndrome".

If so, this may require surgery to relieve the building pressure inside the muscle compartments of the calf.

Any numbness in the toes is a very early and important sign. The feeling of having been "hit by a stick" on the leg is quite a common description of the pain associated with this condition.

Please have it seen to asap.

Good Luck!

This is not a Baker's cyst. Baker's cyst is in the politeal fossa or the area directly behind the knee joint. It is usually connected to the knee joint and is simply a bulging of the synovial membrane of the knee joint filled with synovial fluid.

They rarely "burst".

Sincerely hope the OP has had it evaluated by now.

"A Baker's cyst can rupture and produce acute pain behind the knee and in the calf and swelling of the calf muscles." Link : Click here.

Why I believe he has a Bakers Cyst is because I had exactly the same injury playing tennis. I experienced a sudden impact type sensation at the top of my calf muscle whilst running for the ball. My doctor diagnosed it as a Bakers cyst.

My injury caused me limp around for a few days only. Improvement was noticed each day and after about a week, I was walking normally again. Running took a little longer.

Possible but not likely. Hope, for the sake of the OP, that this is indeed so.

I would like, however, to use this incident to illustrate perhaps the responsibility we take on when commenting about a medical condition someone posted to get advice on.

If a condition is presented here which may be a potential emergency medical condition (which is unfortunately far more likely in this particular case), it would be irresponsible to post advice that may cost the poster dearly.

Err on the side of caution even at the risk of sounding a bit alarmist.

Sincerely hope that the OP had the best outcome...

Thats right guys, we do have a responsibility here.

It is impossible to diagnose an injury from a forum!

For any injury, especially of this serious nature, get yourself to a sports med doctor (if you know a good one).

If you dont, we also have a Dutch sports physio on board who would be best to identify not only the type of injury that has ocurred but also the cause!! Corrective rehab will ensure a complete return to full function.

Hows your calf now chang?

FRANCIS NETYL MD.....He is a certified sports medicine practioner, He has worked on me and a lot of my friends during the tri-athalons. He is said to still be in Bkk and he will make house calls. I wish I had his number maybe someone else here does?????????

RICE:

rest

ice

compression

elevation

there is no medicine for the injured muscle, you can get painkillers or cooling balms from the pharmacy. Tiger balm can be used as well for self massage to move bruise and lymph towards the heart.

if symptons don't lessen within a day or two - hospital and xray for the broken bones/torn tendons or ligaments

Yea..had exactly the same. like being struck with a bat. Went to top hospital in BKK. X-Ray..well OK, but it's muscle.

Long wait, aged doctor says I probably have a heart condition. I queried that it was very coincidental with my fall.

He said "All you farangs just eat junk food (they have a MacDonalds in the hospital), and never take execrcise.

I pointed out I was a vegetarian who cycled a minimum 80 kms per day. He never listened. A nurse arrived to wheel

me to th cardiac room. I was shocked, it looked like the waiting room to hel_l, such was the haunted appearance of the

waiting patients.

I insisted that she take me away, she refused, so like a miraculous cure at Lourdes I jumped up and hobbled away as

fast as possible, and made my way to Starbucks in the lobby. Five minutes later a search party found me, extremely

concerned that I had not paid the bill.

So, RICE as the guy says.

Edited by desertrat

Hi guys, I would really like some info on the best way to treat my badly torn calf muscle that I incurred during a game of tennis this morning. ...I looked behind thinking someone had hit me on the back of the leg with a big stick. That was what it felt like.

Anyway, any advice would be greatful.

...Is there any point in going to the doctor, if only to get the correct medicine?

Hi chang35baht,

I hope you got some treatment, if not go to the physio. From my memory, the pain was the worst a few days after, and was excruciating.

I tore a calf last year, similar sensation then thought it was a cramp, so did all the things for cramp you do not do for tears and awoke the next day to a world of pain.

I had a doc mate who said just go to the physio, who arranged a scan to check the length and location of the tear etc. Treatment was physio every day for 2 weeks: massage, ultrasound, heat/cold, laser (which I though was rubbish, but who knows it got better) and who knows what else.

They got me to keep off it for the first 2 weeks, imobilised in a compression bandage to prevent further tears (so no straightening or stretching); then strengthen it with intensive massage to break down the scar tissue and clotted blood bits later.

I tore mine last year 3 days into my 3 weeks in Aus when I was supposed to go rock climbing, surfing etc, but spent the whole time at sports physio, just in time to go back to work - sucked big time, the only ones that were happy about it were my old physio and massuese who saw more of me than anyone else.

I hope you are feeling better, and empathise totally. They do heal quickly once it gets going. Good luck.

R.I.C.E. for the first 24hrs is what they say....I had pulse ultrasound as well right before a race on my calf...I also had a series of , at first PAINFUL , deep tissue massage that is said to help remove adheisions and lots of regular ultrasound after the race over two weeks.......regular strethching and warm up has helped to keep me training into my late forties......Netyl was the one who did the deep tissue and it was pretty cheap compared to the States...if you could find him it is well worth it.