Modify A 2.4 Camry To 3.5

Mattd

Afternoon all,

Not sure if this has been asked before and my apologies if it has, but do any of you know if it is possible to install the 3.5 V6 Camry engine and gearbox, complete with the engine management system to a 2.4V model?

In 'theory' it should be relatively straight forward, but I'm no expert.

I 'may' consider to do this modification if a secondhand unit becomes available, obviously upgrading suspension and brakes to suit and ensuring that it is all documented and legal.

At 2.88 Million for the 3.5, then there is a lot of leeway to do this mod.

Thanks.

How about a turbo? Less weight and if you keep the boost low no engine mods needed. You would need the exhaust changed and the computer reprogrammed. Other than that it's fairly straightforward.

You'll need to find an importer of Japanese engines that would bring Camry's v6 for you, there aren't any available locally. You should also own a matching Camry model - front wheel drive engines are not as easy to fit as rear wheel drives.

The engine would come with ECU and transmission, no need to worry about that.

Thank BSJ, I have thought about a turbo, but tend to think it won't give me the torque that I'd like, I'm interested in making it more usable in the low down power range for overtaking etc. rather than top speed.

Plus, thanks for your reply also, was rather hoping that the breakers here will end up with one of the units out of a write off 3.5, not in any particular hurry, though I might make inquiries on the cost of importing one.

Thank BSJ, I have thought about a turbo, but tend to think it won't give me the torque that I'd like, I'm interested in making it more usable in the low down power range for overtaking etc. rather than top speed.

Plus, thanks for your reply also, was rather hoping that the breakers here will end up with one of the units out of a write off 3.5, not in any particular hurry, though I might make inquiries on the cost of importing one.

Maybe you need also the matching dashboard. I guess the gauges specialy the RPM gauge are not the same as in the 4 cylinder model.

There are some good bolt on superchargers around thesedays, that will help better than a turbo

i would highly recommend a turbo instead of the the whole engine, transimssion and drivetrain swap, which will end up costing your way above 300K. and you might have to wait around for a while for somebody to get one.

i would recommend get a turbocharger, aftermarket ecu, intercooler, and throttle position controller and you will most defentially have conciderable amount of power and torque gains. personally i think you will making close to 3.5L std power and torque range, dependent on tune for less than half the price easy.

you will need,

turbocharger,

headers

downpipe

wastegate-although you can use the std swing vavle wastegate.

intercoolerpiping

intercooler,

larger intake manifold,

exhaust,

downpipe,

ECU-piggyback system

i can organize the build up if you are intrested, and get some parts for you.

just need to set up a budget and then things can start to take off already.

Just my opinion...

Putting a turbo on a NA motor will cause more problems down the road. By adding more parts, you are creating more variables when problems start to occur. Plus you have to route pipes, make one off piece for the turbo to work on your car isnt worth it, say if a part breaks down. Then say if you want to do the turbo, tuning is important. Tuning on the road isnt the best practice of all. It is done in a controled environment on a dyno machine.

Given that thought..I think you are better off with the V6 swap.

No one has mentioned the ownership book. The engine serial number will no longer match the book and will have to be legally changed. Since the replacement engine is larger, I would guess that you will be penalized because of that. I have no idea how this actually works but you should check it out first.

Your annual registration would go up, maybe 6-8k.

Engine swap, inclusing ECU and transmission shouldn't cost more than 60-80k, minus the price of your old engine that should be considerable.

Gauges are ok, you can get second hand instrument panel, too. I have one from old Crown, I was told, 5k with installation.

Afternoon all,

Not sure if this has been asked before and my apologies if it has, but do any of you know if it is possible to install the 3.5 V6 Camry engine and gearbox, complete with the engine management system to a 2.4V model?

In 'theory' it should be relatively straight forward, but I'm no expert.

I 'may' consider to do this modification if a secondhand unit becomes available, obviously upgrading suspension and brakes to suit and ensuring that it is all documented and legal.

At 2.88 Million for the 3.5, then there is a lot of leeway to do this mod.

Thanks.