Uk Pension Increase Based On Marriage

kennkate

OK Any information if I can get a increase to my UK state Pension based on my Marriage

Was married in the UK Jan 2008 I was told by the Pension Service that I could get a increase to my state Pension. It was not means tested and was based on my Contributions. I also told them that my wife was in Thailand

They sent me a form to fill in and I sent it back in May 2008 shortly after my wife had Returned to Thailand

( She was in the UK on a 6 month visa to get married )

I was asked to send her original birth cert and marraige cert. They came back after about 3 weeks.

Made a number of Phone calls to the Pension Service before I came back to join my wife in Sept. Just told sorry we are very busy, But not to worry your claim will be backdated.

Since I have been back in Thailand I have wrote Twice and told them I wont be back in the Uk untill May, and gave them my address in Thailand

no replies to my mail

Tonight I rang them again and got A rather snoty Lady, Who said That my wife would have to be in the UK and have A National Ins No for her

Not What I was told when I made the original enquiry. Was told could claim for her on my contributions

I was not asked for wifes NI No it was Not on the form Told her to look at the form I sent Back.

Gues what they have lost it. They also asked if I was staying perminantly in Thai I said NO just visiting

Can it be obtained or am I peeing in the wind. Anybody out there getting it

OK Any information if I can get a increase to my UK state Pension based on my Marriage

Was married in the UK Jan 2008 I was told by the Pension Service that I could get a increase to my state Pension. It was not means tested and was based on my Contributions. I also told them that my wife was in Thailand

They sent me a form to fill in and I sent it back in May 2008 shortly after my wife had Returned to Thailand

( She was in the UK on a 6 month visa to get married )

I was asked to send her original birth cert and marraige cert. They came back after about 3 weeks.

Made a number of Phone calls to the Pension Service before I came back to join my wife in Sept. Just told sorry we are very busy, But not to worry your claim will be backdated.

Since I have been back in Thailand I have wrote Twice and told them I wont be back in the Uk untill May, and gave them my address in Thailand

no replies to my mail

Tonight I rang them again and got A rather snoty Lady, Who said That my wife would have to be in the UK and have A National Ins No for her

Not What I was told when I made the original enquiry. Was told could claim for her on my contributions

I was not asked for wifes NI No it was Not on the form Told her to look at the form I sent Bac

Gues what they have lost it. They also asked if I was staying perminantly in Thai I said NO just visiting

Can it be obtained or am I peeing in the wind. Anybody out there getting it

Well all i can say is i claimed for an increase in my pension in 2008 because i am married to a Thai who is not living in the UK and i got the increase with no problems at all,They never said anything about NI Number as it was not asked for on the form as you know,I just sent all the papers they asked for and no problem,It took a little over three months to get it but it was back dated,My aplication was made from my address in Thailand,Just hang in there it is your right to get the proper pension,Just like all of us we have paid all our working life to get it,Good luck, Robbie.

Edited by Mintman

i have had success in my application for my wifes allowance which is another 52.30 pound a month , it was backdated to my pensionable start date of 3 March 2008, i have also had arrears paid backdated to that date. We both live in Thailand permantly

From my experience i would like to share the following:

Phone them in the first instance to request app form for additional pension for your wife , if your wife has a UK National Insurance Number everything will be done quickly , but if you are like me and your wife doesnt work and doesnt have a National Insurance number when you send in your application you will also need to send in the following original documents , Marriage certificate, wifes birth certificate and any divorce cert she may have had previously , they may not ask for all in the first instance but they will ask later and if you send everything in at the beginning it may turn out quicker for you , they will have them translated by their translator . after 4 weeks badger them on the phone and send emails , it helped in my experienced, hope this will help someone , my application took 8 months . when you send your application and docs send them EMS everything is quick and registered and you can track it on line with Thai post

I've just read these and most of the posts in the 2007 thread on the subject.

Just some of the points that ocurred to me are:-

For some, the additional £53(?) a week, plus the benefits a widow should get, just might be enough to justify marriage (to anyone?)?

The Q of UK residency (i.e. not qualifying) might be a big issue? The annual increases and winter heating allowance could be reclaimed by the state at any point backdated ? There are many many people here maintaining a UK address etc. for the purpose of avoiding this (also in order to continue receiving other benefits such as disablity allowance). If the state ever got around to looking at this it could get scary and with the RFID chip (previously bar code) in your new passport and expected to be fully implemented by 2010, UK residency could be checked very easily on the main database showing one's entries and exits to the UK?

Also on the Q of UK residency, the wording used seems to be "frozen at the point ....permanently moved abroad" (or something like). So for someone (yes, me) who is 60yo and planning/hoping to be here indefinitely (and maintaining said UK address) does that mean that the pension I am due to receive in 5 years time is, according to the rules, already frozen?

There is the Q of what is "permanent" about our status here, but that obviously cuts no ice. However, it does state that if one returns to UK then the pension is returned to the current rate. I wonder what it might entail to achieve that, though, if I'm right about the RFID/database that could well be futile.

I see Mobi was a regular poster on the topic in 2007 so I hope he'll reappear here with an update on what he found out.

i red somewhere that from april 2010 you cannot claim for your wife if its a new claim,but couples that already claim can do so until april 2020

Can anyone verify/clarify? If so, then I need to start planning soon :o

The bits of info I have picked up, whose accuracy could be questionable is that you need to have been married for five years before retirement to claim for your Thai wife, who on your demise can then claim widows pension, unless she is of pensionable age??? where she can then claim old age pension.

Many thanks for the replies.

It looks like the information that I was given before I left the UK was correct, And I can claim on my contributions for my wife.

I do not intend to stay here in Thailand, It is my intention to return to the UK .with my wife and stepdaughter.

I have A house in the UK, I do not intend to live in Thailand.

The form to claim Pension increase together with marriage cert was sent from my Address in the UK 7 months ago. Now they are saying it is lost

And my wife as to have A NI Number I am sure that was not asked for on the form

If I have to start the whole process again I will have lost out on 7 months extra money

My wife is reluctant to send her original birth cert again They will have the information on Computer so do I need to start the whole Process again.

Who can I complain to ?

'

Cannot E Mail Pension service no E Mail Address given, Asked for it but was told I can't E Mail them.

Now Pulling my last bit of hair out. So Save My Hair

i red somewhere that from april 2010 you cannot claim for your wife if its a new claim,but couples that already claim can do so until april 2020

The bits of info I have picked up, whose accuracy could be questionable is that you need to have been married for five years before retirement to claim for your Thai wife, who on your demise can then claim widows pension, unless she is of pensionable age??? where she can then claim old age pension.

with information that u seem to acquire, dont go into investments.

with information that u seem to acquire, dont go into investments.

so it's lubbish then? so even if I marry the 22yo after 2010 and after my retirement age I can still claim for her - yes or not?

I'm sure there were people in the other thread putting a lot more effort into getting and giving accurate information.

Where's Mobi gone?

Many thanks for the replies.

It looks like the information that I was given before I left the UK was correct, And I can claim on my contributions for my wife.

I do not intend to stay here in Thailand, It is my intention to return to the UK .with my wife and stepdaughter.

I have A house in the UK, I do not intend to live in Thailand.

The form to claim Pension increase together with marriage cert was sent from my Address in the UK 7 months ago. Now they are saying it is lost

And my wife as to have A NI Number I am sure that was not asked for on the form

If I have to start the whole process again I will have lost out on 7 months extra money

My wife is reluctant to send her original birth cert again They will have the information on Computer so do I need to start the whole Process again. ok my story. the facts from my standpiont. i aplied for the adult depedency increase. i dont know the date as it was a long time ago, but i have a letter here from them dated 28jan 2008. so thats the time frame. well, i decided to ring them just a couple of days ago. i love confrontation by the way, always have, so i get no where as expected, they have birth/c marriage/c all nessessary paper work. i ask/tell them to send back all my docs. as a lost leader i ask about a complaints department/ombudsman. they say i'll put u thro to someone, no u wont i'm in thailand and the call is costing me more that the allowance,please ask them to ring me. end of call, i have rang many times over the year by the way. lo and behold they did actualy ring back that evening thai time. i was informed that the claim is granted and i would get back payment of 3kpds plus. so it is doable just stick with it, they did stall me for more paper work in the middle of all this. so as yet still to recieve some dosh but the promise is there.. for the poor lost souls out there , there are no requirements like being married for x-y or insurance numbers before u apply, they give ur wife a number useing ur insurance number. my wife has never been to uk, or out of thailand come to that. regards .

Who can I complain to ?

'

Cannot E Mail Pension service no E Mail Address given, Asked for it but was told I can't E Mail them.

Now Pulling my last bit of hair out. So Save My Hair