New Work Permit

Hi Guys,

I was talking with many different people. Result: 100 questions - 200 answers = I am confused!

My current situation:

Still holding a BOI work permit valid until 2010 and the corresponding visa

Married to Thai National

Got a new job and need to apply for a new WP (non BOI company)

What are my options? I know that I have to go to Immigration and cancel my visa, maybe applying for a 7 day (or 60 days? extention, due to my marriage). If I could get the 60 days extention, will it be possible to apply with this extention for a new WP.

Or do I have to travel to Singapore or KL to apply for a fresh Type B visa? Certainly I would like to avoid this travel for cost reasons etc.

I already have a signed employment agreement with the new company so I really do not understand, why I need to go abroad to get a new visa. But if it is the law, it is the law.

Thanks for any practical advise, I am running out of steam dealing with all the Thais in my old and new company who seem not to have any clue about what they are doing.

Thanks and cheers

Your permission to stay is based on your work, but you are marreid to a Thai?

Your permisin to stay will indeed end and you can get a 60 day extension based on your marriage. If you have 400,000 in the bank for 2 months you can apply for a regular extension for one year based on your marriage right away.

If you can only get a 60 day extension you will have that time to find a new job and apply for a new WP. If you have at least 21 days left on your permission to stay you can won't have to leave the country but can apply for a new extension of stay based on your work.