Plethora Of Timewasters

I rent out some condos but lately there seems to be a plethora of total timewasters anyone else here renting units getting this?.

Way back in December had a guy ask to rent one of our units, he sent us a deposit and wanted to start early January. January came he didn't, I mailed him, he said he had a few problems with his job in the UK, said he wa s still coming but a week later. never arrived, I kept the deposit he never replied to any more e mails. So we re advertsied the unit again took a deposit and again the guy just has not turned up also from the UK. I reckon I could make more money renting out a non existant unit at this rate!!!

Unit re advertised, Phillipno comes and looks says he wants it for a year, he flys out to K.L says will be back Friday and will pay deposit then says will call tuesday to arrange where to meet etc, no call, no reply to mails etc.

Strange people????? Also extremely rude they just cant say their plans have changed etc.

think this goes on all the time,they see something else they like but put a deposit down anyway to hold it.very annoying for you though.and yes depositors from the UK are going through daily changes and bad news re their jobs,that maybe the reason.losing a job.

however keeping all these deposits are money for jam if you are not desperate for a tenant.good luck.

Hi well yes it makes me think i should just have a cyber room for rent hahahahaha I have got 20000 baht for free but yes time is wasted and other people turned down as the room is "taken"

The worst thing for me is we always mail and ask them if they still want it......... no replies cant understand why they just dont say change of plan.

Define a time line - that accords with your feelings on this issue - and put it down in some sort of contract like: "The deposit gives you exactly this much time. If you don't advance to next level at 12 noon sharp on the stipulated end day ..." - and so on. Make the deposit reasonable compared to the loss you may have if the depositor doesn't proceed to next level at that 12 noon sharp.

How difficulty can it be, if someone like me, who isn't even in this kind of business can figure it out?

Yes but aren't you all missing the point : there has been a massive collapse world over, people can't afford the rent, and property prices will collapse. You need to work from these facts and see if you can keep going, remembering that propery swings can last 4 years or more.

Sorry but this is the lie of the land. Perhahoroughly.ps work out if you can cut rent and check refs thoroughly.

I have taken deposits for sales of property 11 times for 5 sales. Between 100,000 and 370,000 baht.

I would really suggest that you ask for full payment for each unit for one month or less.

You will be getting a lot of cancellations, and in time, you will not be able to find another renter to take the place if it is for a fairly short time period. Actually do business as if you expect them not to show up.

Thre are plenty of people who will send you in full payment for a month without thinking about it. If you will rent the condo for 4 months, then one month or two mnth's rent would be satisfactory. Don't be nice.

Pattaya rentals are/have been dependent on the British and European markets, and these two groups are having a lot of difficulties, just when many new units are coming on-line.

You have done well receiving deposits... I hope that your luck continues .

Define a time line - that accords with your feelings on this issue - and put it down in some sort of contract like: "The deposit gives you exactly this much time. If you don't advance to next level at 12 noon sharp on the stipulated end day ..." - and so on. Make the deposit reasonable compared to the loss you may have if the depositor doesn't proceed to next level at that 12 noon sharp.

How difficulty can it be, if someone like me, who isn't even in this kind of business can figure it out?

I did take deposits did you read what I put? deposit was enough so we lost no money but had to turn down other folk who asked only to then re advertise. The best bit is when some of them keep saying they are coming and still don't and then never reply when you ask them. Bloody nutters.

Heres the latest example although we are now full, guy calls yesterday wants to meet at the BTS so wife sends him a photo of her so he will recognise her, he says he will call tomorrow, he then e mails the next day and all he says is "your wife is very beautiful" Weirdo's.Thailands full of em!!

I have taken deposits for sales of property 11 times for 5 sales. Between 100,000 and 370,000 baht.

I would really suggest that you ask for full payment for each unit for one month or less.

You will be getting a lot of cancellations, and in time, you will not be able to find another renter to take the place if it is for a fairly short time period. Actually do business as if you expect them not to show up.

Thre are plenty of people who will send you in full payment for a month without thinking about it. If you will rent the condo for 4 months, then one month or two mnth's rent would be satisfactory. Don't be nice.

Pattaya rentals are/have been dependent on the British and European markets, and these two groups are having a lot of difficulties, just when many new units are coming on-line.

You have done well receiving deposits... I hope that your luck continues .

We know where to advertise and which countries are not having financial problems at the moment.

Yes but aren't you all missing the point : there has been a massive collapse world over, people can't afford the rent, and property prices will collapse. You need to work from these facts and see if you can keep going, remembering that propery swings can last 4 years or more.

Sorry but this is the lie of the land. Perhahoroughly.ps work out if you can cut rent and check refs thoroughly.

Im not having a problem finding renters just the amount of idiots about lately seems to have dramatically increased.

give renters you phone number and ask them for theirs. Send a remainder email a week or two before the the booked date and check what flight they are coming. If they don't show up within 24h of expected show up (missed plane connections do happen), re-rent