John Martyn , Dies Aged 60

taxexile

Singer-songwriter John Martyn dies aged 60

John Martyn, a singer-songwriter known for his virtuoso guitar playing who who played with Pink Floyd's Dave Gilmore, has died aged 60.

Last Updated: 4:30PM GMT 29 Jan 2009

Previous1 of 2 ImagesNextjohn_martyn2_1249403c.jpg The musician was known for songs like Solid Air and May You Never Photo: ELLIOTT FRANKS / LIVE john_martyn_1249400c.jpg John Martyn released a series of critically acclaimed albums in the 1970s Photo: ELLIOTT FRANKS / LIVE The jazz and folk-influenced musician was known for songs like Solid Air and May You Never.

May You Never was covered by Eric Clapton. Phil Collins and Gilmore played on his 1993 compilation No Little Boy.

A statement on his website on Thursday said: "With heavy heart and an unbearable sense of loss we must announce that John died this morning."

Born Ian David McGreachy in Surrey in 1948, he spent his many of his early years at his father's home in Glasgow following his parents' divorce, before moving to London in his late teens.

Martyn released a series of critically acclaimed albums in the 1970s but always remained on the fringes of the mainstream music scene.

"I don't think of myself as anything, I just lurch along from one thing to another," he said in a 1993 interview.

He was made an OBE for his services to music in this year's Queen's New Year's Honours.