Marriage Visa

I presently have a retirement extention on my visa from 1 May 2004...I married a Thai woman three years ago but still kept renewing the retirement extension. I now want to get a marriage extension. The changing regulations and with the financial crisis wiping out one of my sources of money I need to reconsider how much I can have in a Thai bank.

I have over 800,000 in the bank....400,0000 of it from September and the remainder deposited last week in January from my US bank.

How much do I need to have in the bank and for how long?

I have my marriage certificate.

My present extension expires 30 April.

Will I be able to do this in the next few weeks or will I have to wait or jump through other hoops?

Thanks, Craig

I presently have a retirement extention on my visa from 1 May 2004...I married a Thai woman three years ago but still kept renewing the retirement extension. I now want to get a marriage extension. The changing regulations and with the financial crisis wiping out one of my sources of money I need to reconsider how much I can have in a Thai bank.

I have over 800,000 in the bank....400,0000 of it from September and the remainder deposited last week in January from my US bank.

How much do I need to have in the bank and for how long?

I have my marriage certificate.

My present extension expires 30 April.

Will I be able to do this in the next few weeks or will I have to wait or jump through other hoops?

Thanks, Craig

400,000 Baht in a Thai bank for 60 days. You can apply within the final 30 days of your present permision to stay. Although I do remember that Jontiem were advising applicants to go even earlier.

400,000 Baht in a Thai bank for 60 days. You can apply within the final 30 days of your present permision to stay. Although I do remember that Jontiem were advising applicants to go even earlier.

Some immigration offices obviously don't like that kind of change as it means "less money"..... (read that somewhere in our forum).

Adding to what Lite Beer said, a visit to yours and some questions there would be the best advice!

Some immigration offices obviously don't like that kind of change as it means "less money"..... (read that somewhere in our forum).

Adding to what Lite Beer said, a visit to yours and some questions there would be the best advice!

Some immigration officers don't like the change from a retirement to marriage as an extension based on marriage requires a lot more work. If you qualify for retirement it is easier for you and immigration to extend on that base. It has nothing to do with the money and they will give the extension.

craig, to change from retirement extension to marriage extension with your next application I suggest that you bring the bank account balance below 800k, say somewhere between 400k and 500k. Otherwise, if the immigration officer sees over 800k he will take the easy route an force you into a new retirement extension.

--

Maestro

Sorry I don't understand 'means "less money" ' Surely Immigration don't care, as long as you have the right amount banked for your required extention!!

:o:D

I just returned from the Jomtien Immigration office. I went in yesterday in the morning to find a huge crowd. After an hour I was sitting at dest #8...the woman said "up to you" when I asked about a marriage visa. I opted to get the retirement renewed and will go into the office come September and go after the marriage extension. When I picked up my passport this afternoon there was another huge crowd...what is going on?

I just returned from the Jomtien Immigration office. I went in yesterday in the morning to find a huge crowd. After an hour I was sitting at dest #8...the woman said "up to you" when I asked about a marriage visa. I opted to get the retirement renewed and will go into the office come September and go after the marriage extension. When I picked up my passport this afternoon there was another huge crowd...what is going on?

It is like that all day every day!!!

Some immigration officers don't like the change from a retirement to marriage as an extension based on marriage requires a lot more work. If you qualify for retirement it is easier for you and immigration to extend on that base. It has nothing to do with the money and they will give the extension.

Would be so great if it was always true!

Some officers may have simple math! You want to change because you have less money, so you'll also have less money to spend! Wrong "start" then!

But happily, most of them have a perfect understanding.