Buying A Vehicle In Thailand

dishrace

I know a farlang can buy a vehicle with a permit and get a drivers licence with the Non-Img visa...but can you get a loan or must it be cash? if so what are the proceedures for that, a decent rate and etc...it would be a new vehicle purchase...thanks!

dishrace...I once read in another car related forum that you would need a Thai friend or family member to sign a document guranteeing the dealership that they will get their money for the new vehicle of your choice (in case you try to cheat them somehow). Once that's done, I think you can just finance through the dealership and go the route many in the West do...make a cash downpayment and sort out the monthlies from there. Good luck!

Just bought a Toyota Vigo recently and was offered a 30% down deal by the salesman (3-5 yrs. to pay the balance). I declined and paid cash outright, but it appears that all that is required to go the finance route is a NonImm-O visa. No work permit reqd.

This is based on my experience with this one purchase only. I'm sure others here will clarify the options.

Just bought a Toyota Vigo recently and was offered a 30% down deal by the salesman (3-5 yrs. to pay the balance).  I declined and paid cash outright, but it appears that all that is required to go the finance route is a NonImm-O visa.  No work permit reqd. 

This is based on my experience with this one purchase only.  I'm sure others here will clarify the options.

Yeah... I bought one with a slightly larger deposit and a Non-Imm Visa... and photo-copy of my Work Permit... They didn't seem too fussed about that bit though.

I did show them documents showing that I own my own company and we own our Condo, but they just looked at them.

The slightly larger deposit was because I was a foreigner, about 1/3 of the purcahse price.

No biggie.. less interest!