Finding Live In Helper For Elderly Parents

peekint

Hello,

My elderly (80s) parents will soon be moving to Thailand to live with my husband and I. Dad's had a stroke, and although he's physically and mentally doing quite well, he requires constant supervision for his safety. Mom's just not up to it. So, rather than see Mom and Dad with strangers, we're bringing them out here (No, they are not kicking and screaming, they actually want to come!)

Both my husband and I speak Thai, so our housekeeper speaks minimal English (almost none). We need a person who can be a companion for Mom (driving and accompanying on outings), and a caregiver for Dad (bathing safety, occasional bathroom assistance, supervision). The helper needs to speak some English.

Any idea how I should go about looking for this person? Where or how?

All ideas are helpful!

There is a Swiss elderly couple that come here to CM for about 4 months out of the year. The male is wheel chaired. There is a Thai lady that takes care of him. Not sure on any details, I think she works like 10 hrs a day. I believe she cooks also. Don't know if she speaks English or would consider a live in position. My wife mentioned something like she might be getting paid 30,000 baht a month.

If you are interested and want me to find out some details, pm me and let me know what I should ask.

I see the Thai lady about every other day. She pushes the gentleman around the moo bahn and seems very friendly. We do know the couple, they have rented the same house here for the last two years. I believe they are staying until end of Feb or maybe the caregiver would be available at that time.

Just let me know.

I would suggest that 30,000 baht a month is roughly three times the going wage for a live-in assistant.

There is a thai guy living down the road from me and he had a stroke about a year ago. His live in assistant gets 9,000 baht plus extras. She doesn't do any cleaning or going to the market etc; only if its directly related to the person she's caring for. All seem pleased with the arrangement and I guess the salary is OK because she's been there about a year now.

At 30,000 baht, I would think hospitals would empty quickly of nursing assistants.