Baby Bonus

poly36

There seems to be a bit of interest on the baby bonus issue.

Can anyone help with my problem???

I have had a baby in Thailand with my Thai wife. And we will be returning to Oz when the baby will be 4 months old. I will be in Oz for two months only (but I figure I should say its permanent to Centrelink). I read what paperwork you said is needed but I am stuck on getting my wife a tax file number. To lodge the forms I need a letter from centrelink. How do I get this letter because I would like to get the TFN before I officially lodge my application. Is it possible?

It's a stretch to remember this, but .... I don't think my wife had a TFN when we first registered with Centrelink. To be eligible for the baby bonus I think only one parent had to be an Australian citizen, so it is feasible that some parents would not have a TFN if not receiving income (or below the threshold). have you tried search the family assistance web site for the answer to this?

On the residency issue you will be asked to provide your passport number and that of your wife. They claim to do data-matching with immigration dept, so you might possibly get a problem later (e.g. request to repay or whatever). Perhaps other can advise on this point?

It's a stretch to remember this, but .... I don't think my wife had a TFN when we first registered with Centrelink. To be eligible for the baby bonus I think only one parent had to be an Australian citizen, so it is feasible that some parents would not have a TFN if not receiving income (or below the threshold). have you tried search the family assistance web site for the answer to this?

On the residency issue you will be asked to provide your passport number and that of your wife. They claim to do data-matching with immigration dept, so you might possibly get a problem later (e.g. request to repay or whatever). Perhaps other can advise on this point?

Immigration and the Tax department are very well linked. Indeed, if you have a valid work visa, PR or enter Australia with automatic work rights (eg NZ citizens) you can apply for a TFN online, simply by adding in your passport details and a TFN will be issed (it automatically checks your work rights while you apply). That is how it happened with my wife (NZ citizen).

https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/default.aspx?...1&outcome=1

Not sure how it works the other way, but given there are residency rules on most entitlements, and given their is data sharing, you better make sure you are considered 'resident'!!