Visa Exstension Without Going To Border

keithkarmann

We planned it all with precision,we only needed a 30 day exstension to our visas.We arrived in Thailand/Chiang Mai at the beginning of November so our visas were to run out on the 27th January.We travelled to Mai Sai,crossed the border and were only given a 15 day exstension (due to the change in the visa rules) but we needed about 22 days.

We have been told that we can pay about 1900 Bahts and get the extra time at some place in Chaing Mai.Can someone please tell us if this is possible and where the place is (location and directions as well please). If we do not apply for the additional days can we get away with paying a fine and how much is the fine per day.Many thanks in advance.

Keithkarmann

You will have to leave the country. You are on a visa exempt entry on which you only can get an extension of stay of 7 days and they in all likelyhood will want to see proof that you will leave Thailand within those 7 days.

Mario, we came back over the border on the 27th January and the visa stamp clearly says 15 days untill 10th February.We have our flights booked out of Thailand on 18th February which would have been no problem if they had given us 30 days extra as we had planned before the rule change to 15 days.

just pay the overstay at the airport when you leave , i can't remember how much it is for sure but i think it is 500 per day but you dont pay the first day. Or you might get an extention at immigration up near the airport just get a tuk tuk .

Edited by malcy

The place to extend would be the main Immigration Office, on the left, after Central Airport Plaza & about 100 yards before you turn left into the airport itself.

A 7-day extension would be the thing to ask for. If you are then, upon checking-in at the airport, just 1 day overstayed, you would not normally be charged the 500B/day overstay-fine.

Remember to dress correctly, speak politely & not display any temper, and you should find Chiang Mai Immigration helpful and understanding. You can't be the first people they've seen, who have been inadvertently caught-out, by these newest rule-changes.

I over stayed two days on a 2 month visa due to a booking problem with the airline last trip ( my fault ) but the official just looked me up and down a couple of times ( me dressed neatly, lap-top over shoulder, clean shaven, sober ) and sent me on my way with a nod and a smile. ALWAYS wear 'airport clothes' .

I over stayed two days on a 2 month visa due to a booking problem with the airline last trip ( my fault ) but the official just looked me up and down a couple of times ( me dressed neatly, lap-top over shoulder, clean shaven, sober ) and sent me on my way with a nod and a smile. ALWAYS wear 'airport clothes' .

Thanks everybody,problem now sorted.Paid 1900 bahts for the 7 days,leaving one day overstay which we were told would probably be ignored at Bangkok when we depart Thailand. At least we have paid some money towards all the money they lost when the airports were closed.

Keithkarmann