Tacos And Salsa Restaurant Review

Jimmyd

Some visuals of

A: Thai cattle...........looks like an anorexic species with no grain feeding

B: Mexican cattle........looks good, probably some grain feeding

C: American cattle........looks very good and primarily grain fed

My guess is that C is better than both A and B.

B is much better than A and closer to C than A in terms of quality.

B has no doubt undergone many changes since 1930.........much better quality today........hopefully.

What I would like to see in Thailand is a thriving beef industry with cattle similar to B and especially C.

A: post-36006-1258239656_thumb.jpg

B: post-36006-1258239691_thumb.jpg

C: post-36006-1258239716_thumb.jpg

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some visuals of

A: Thai cattle...........looks like an anorexic species with no grain feeding

B: Mexican cattle........looks good, probably some grain feeding

C: American cattle........looks very good and primarily grain fed

My guess is that C is better than both A and B.

B is much better than A and closer to C than A in terms of quality.

B has no doubt undergone many changes since 1930.........much better quality today........hopefully.

What I would like to see in Thailand is a thriving beef industry with cattle similar to B and especially C.

A: post-36006-1258239656_thumb.jpg

B: post-36006-1258239691_thumb.jpg

C: post-36006-1258239716_thumb.jpg

My reply Deviates from this topic and has nothing to do with Taco's and Salsa, Therefore it will be inappropriate to address on the Tacos and Salsa forum. If interested please refer to new topic :

Thai, Mexican, United States Beef.

My reply Deviates from this topic and has nothing to do with Taco's and Salsa, Therefore it will be inappropriate to address on the Tacos and Salsa forum. If interested please refer to new topic :

Thai, Mexican, United States Beef.

Actually, I think it does relate.........how? The main problem, as I see it, with Thai beef is the species and feeding methodology.

In Mexico, it looks like you have a species that thrives in very warm climates. It is also likely more resistant to tropical diseases.

The Mexican cattle look far superior to me than Thai cattle.

So, it would be prudent for the Thai government to consider importing some of them to start a cattle business here........it might lead to a profitable business.

Who might benefit? Any restaurant owner who is now having to purchase very expensive, imported beef.

So that is how it ties in. But enough said.........I do not want to start a new topic. I just want some good beef.

Later, the Texas beef industry changed radically.......substituting the Longhorn with Hereford and Black Angus........both from ENGLAND.

Once again, Angus comes from Scotland, not England.  :)

Very true.........it originated in Scotland........cool and cold climate. Which makes me think it is probably not suitable for tropical climates.

That is why I think the Mexican cattle species in the picture might be a better choice for Thailand.

You would think that some rich Thai would see this as a massive money-making opportunity and invest in it.

Think about how many restaurants/hotels import beef from places like Australia, New Zealand, USA.........lots.

If they had a top quality local product, they would not have to import the beef.

I ordered beef alambres at T&S on Friday night and they were excellent. No idea what kind of beef was used, but whatever it was it was grilled perfectly in the alambres style and very tasty. Served with homemade flour tortillas, which were also impressive. The only negative: the kitchen ran out of refried beans. Plenty of customers that night.

I ordered beef alambres at T&S on Friday night and they were excellent. No idea what kind of beef was used, but whatever it was it was grilled perfectly in the alambres style and very tasty. Served with homemade flour tortillas, which were also impressive. The only negative: the kitchen ran out of refried beans. Plenty of customers that night.

Does the beef taste like American beef.........just curious. Very tender?

I have this aversion to Thai beef.......something about the smell (like formaldehyde) and taste (like a rubber shoe).

Alambres........is that beef cubes on a stick? Mexican version of Shish Kabob?

Too bad about the refried beans at T&S..........I love em.

One thing I love is a good beef fajita.......never had that in Thailand (but Tequilla Reef in Pattaya does make very good pork fajitas).

What about beef fajitas at T&S?

The next time anyone here goes there, please ask Jorge to get online and read this thread. he doesn't have easy access to the internet anymore, but there have been some valubale feedback and suggestions here, and I think it would be good for him to read them.

Hi guys,

I am sorry for the long absence, even trough I have been reading all your post,

Thank you Bonobo, I am always aware of what you are looking for.

But just to let you know...

Tacos & Salsa was create to offer only authentic Mexican food, for that i took a lot of research, more than all you together may do, but at the end of the day, it is more important what you have on the table and how much you enjoy the results or not, they may be some people that will say, NO it is not what i want and I will be back" once a year" and that is fine, and that is why we have (we, in the world) just to many Mac Donals, KFC, Taco Bell, etc., so people can go once or twice a week for that plastic food.

Even through I have been doing research about peoples taste, visiting Macs and KFCs in different countries, and even them have to adapt to the local taste and not just keep the original taste, other wise they will just not be accepted in other countries, except USA.

Any way, the beef matter is not as important as you think, at least not for the 90% costumers that really don't mind it

The origin of the beef is no very secret, as Mac Donals or Burger King about it.

The tacos al Pastor are definitely more authentic and closer to the original taste in Mexico City and not San Francisco, The tacos al pastor at &S are the favourites of all the Mexican and even Thais costumers, as well as North Americans that you can imagine, even with that, i have not reach my goals for sales yet before i get the "trompo" and make them more like the authentic ones in Mexico City,by the way, the pictures that some one show before, comparing my tacos al Pastor with the other from San Francisco have make doubt that that person really know what a Taco al pastor is, but, any way, he has his own reasons, reason that are not in my interest right now,

The tortillas we use here in Tacos & Salsa are made by a Mexican Lady, from Sonora, and she use local corn, which is different of the Mexican corn, but it does the job well, you can also find them in the supermarket and in Vill market of course.

The reason that we use a bit oil it not for to make them fried, but to lubricate the tortilla avoiding that it breaks apart like when you just bake it or warm it in the microwave, it is not Mexican way, but it is a response of a need of soft tortilla and not use the Taco shell which is not Mexican at all/

In the other hand, i have been in China for 10 days and tomorrow i will be back to Bangkok, I the time i have been in China, i did my home work, then i decided to cook some Mexican food for my friend's family, note, that the family have never try Mexican food in their lives.

The result, was satisfactory and they like the light taste of the "Alambre" i make for them, plus the salsa "pico de gallo", all made with local fresh ingredients that i got in the local supermarket. see the picture.

One of the reason that they my like it was, first, I did cook with lots of love, not thinking in the T&S, but only about this family, second, i didn't want to make a statement that Mexican food is better that Chines (Sichuan) food, but just different and both tasty, I always respect the tradition of Chinese, Japanese, Indian, French, Italian and even Thai food as well as Mexican food, and you have no idea how delicious was the Sichuan BBQ and hot pot, but heavy and greasy as hel_l, but it is their taste, so my Mexican dish seems to be very light and healthy for them, and it was, almost not oil, all fresh vegetables and beef meat. plus a personal addition, potatoes, they love potatoes as well as i do, so, why not add them to the pan, and the results, again, were very nice.

Then, i wanna make a happy statement here, Tacos & Salsa has 35% USA costumers, 30& Mexican and Latin Americans, even if some Latin American countries don't eat chilli at all they like it, as some Brazilians, Argentineans, Chileans, Colombians, Cubans, Peruvians, etc, friends / costumers. 20% Japanese, Indians and Europeans, 15% and growing very fast of Thai costumers, So, you imagine how difficult is satisfying many different sort of tastes?, But, I am glad and happy to make the difference, some thing that the other Mexican restaurants in Thailand have not, since that they just focus in the making money business using a stereotype, Mexico, with out actually don't know it at all or just visit it few times, but not grow up in there as i did, and that is the main reason that i don't make Tex-Mex or Cal-Mex food, because I am not familiar with it as I am familiar with the food I grew with in Mexico City where i come from

Also, most of the costumers are no more comfortable in the new T&S for the tables, decoration, colours, that remind Mexico, the pictures that i have place there are about Mexico and it history which as well as the food has been there for thousands of years, and that is call TRADITION :)

I will keep working in new dishes, as well as in the carnitas, so I hope to see you there soon and thank a lot for keep supporting Tacos & Salsa,

Looking forward to see you soon :D

Jorge Bernal

Tacos & Salsa

post-73993-1258397579_thumb.jpg

post-73993-1258397613_thumb.jpg

post-73993-1258397837_thumb.jpg

post-73993-1258397898_thumb.jpg

post-73993-1258397931_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mexicanbkk

Hi guys,

Looking forward to see you soon :)

Jorge Bernal

Tacos & Salsa

Hello Jorge,

What's your comment to the other thread here, that Tacos and Salsa might have misleading advertising?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tacos-Salsa-...is-t312632.html

Please comment on this thread instead, instead of that other one.

Thanks! :D

Glad you are reading, Jorge! And I agree with you about your al pastor. My Thai friend loves them as well, and she often insists that we stop by for some.

My one recommendation to you would be to make the Saturday buffet more like the free one you had on your re-opening at the new location or the one you had on Oct 15. Charge more, if you need to. The current price is certainly low enough. And you have plenty of customers on Saturday. So charge mroe, but offer guacamole and a wider array of dishes. Maybe limit the off-the menu items so that the kitchen can keep the buffet lines rolling.

I am grateful you are here so I can get my hit of Mexican, but I would be a permanent fixture even if I live pretty far out if the buffet expanded some.

Does the beef taste like American beef.........just curious. Very tender?

I have this aversion to Thai beef.......something about the smell (like formaldehyde) and taste (like a rubber shoe).

Alambres........is that beef cubes on a stick? Mexican version of Shish Kabob?

Too bad about the refried beans at T&S..........I love em.

One thing I love is a good beef fajita.......never had that in Thailand (but Tequilla Reef in Pattaya does make very good pork fajitas).

What about beef fajitas at T&S?

Alambres can be grilled as kebabs or grilled like carne asada on a flat grill or skillet. In Mexico it's more often the latter. It's somewhat similar to fajitas although it doesn't use skirt steak, which is generally a much tougher cut of meat (which is the reason it's sliced so thinly) than what is typically chosen for alambres as far as I've been able to discover. Alambres are served with (or sometimes cooked with) grilled onions and mild peppers, again somewhat like what most gringos think of as fajitas (which is only found in a tiny sliver of mexico near the US border, where it's typically called arracheras rather than fajitas, or in gringo tourist restaurants like in Los Cabos). I don't think many gringos could tell the difference between fajitas and alambres, other than the fact that US fajitas tend to come in giant portions, Mexican alambres more modest. Assuming both were authentic, alambres will almost always be more tender and flavourful than fajitas, in my experience.

When I eat alambres at T&S, I don't think about whether the beef tastes Mexican, Thai or American. I just note that it tastes very good. The tenderness factor is perfect - for this kind of dish, which uses cuts such as sirloin rather than filet mignon (or veal, which would be more tender yet) so don't expect that kind of tenderness. But unless you're toothless you should find it very enjoyable. At least I did, twice now.

BTW all Thai beef doesn't taste the same, JR. You must be getting the really cheap stuff. I've had delicious Thai-raised sirloin or tenderloin many times. No off odours, not rubbery in the slightest. That subject is tossed around here, for those who haven't already stumbled on it:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Mexican...ef-t314446.html

I was back at T&S last night with friends, luckily they had refried beans again.

I've never been into buffets, so have never tried the ones at T&S. Prefer eating food to order :)

Guess I need to try alambres at T&S........sounds good.........I love sirloin (and still have teeth :D )

I live in nowhere Thailand........very small place.........open market........the beef here is HORRIBLE!

So, maybe I am a biased against Thai beef because of that..........BUT I have tried eating the beef at places like Big C (DISGUSTING), Foodland (HORRIBLE) and Sizzler (BAD).

I know people hate hearing the "I'm from the great state of Texas thing"......BUT, we do have great beef in Texas.

I grew up on it.........was spoiled because of it. It is hard to find that type of quality beef anywhere.

Still, I will walk into T&S with an open mind and order alambres w/ refried beans and corn tortillas........that should be a great meal if the meat is good and tender.

I already know the refried beans and corn tortillas are great at T&S.

Loved the pics Jorge posted........guess he is teaching one billion Chinese how to appreciate Mexican food.

Let's see, 1 billion Chinese, each ordering one Mexican burrito at US1/burrito............equals: ONE BILLION DOLLARS! RICH, RICH, RICH :)

JR, I agree with you 100% on the quality of the beef in the three places you mentioned, and local beef served in the sticks, in general. Even in Chiang Mai it's difficult to find good beef outside of a couple of hotel restaurants. I've had much better luck in Bangkok.

And Texas beef is pretty hard to beat. I'll never forget a ranch roast I had on a ranch near Buffalo Gap, TX once.

Hi guys,

Looking forward to see you soon :)

Jorge Bernal

Tacos & Salsa

Hello Jorge,

What's your comment to the other thread here, that Tacos and Salsa might have misleading advertising?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tacos-Salsa-...is-t312632.html

Please comment on this thread instead, instead of that other one.

Thanks! :D

Hi Junkofdavid2 and every one

I try to reply to that thread but it seems to be locked,

Any way,

I have been trying to put the Sunday brunch in place, and i will keep it on mind, and as it is in the Wedsite, the reason that i stop it, is because i have to change so of my staff and the most important reason is because i haven't get enough costumers for this brunch, and i don't like to waste food, since I respect it, but I am trying to find the way to make it happen, maybe when i get ready the carnitas and more demand of prawns and fish tacos, for example. honestly, i cannot to set a brunch buffet for just one or even four persons that my turn up, and the reason of the 150 THB price is because the idea is to have a very light but energetic brunch that includes, chilaquiles, Mexican eggs tacos, refriend beans, huevos rancheros, Mexican prawn soup, in the near future Carnitas, etc. but for the moment, i have to be patient and careful, and I hope you understand it, and please accept my apologises for the misunderstanding.

Maybe instead I will add a brunch set menu for 150 THB and you can get all you can eat from it.

I will all let you know and I will keep you updated

Thank you very much for the feedback

Warm regards

Jorge Bernal

Tacos & Salsa

Guess I need to try alambres at T&S........sounds good.........I love sirloin (and still have teeth :D )

I live in nowhere Thailand........very small place.........open market........the beef here is HORRIBLE!

So, maybe I am a biased against Thai beef because of that..........BUT I have tried eating the beef at places like Big C (DISGUSTING), Foodland (HORRIBLE) and Sizzler (BAD).

I know people hate hearing the "I'm from the great state of Texas thing"......BUT, we do have great beef in Texas.

I grew up on it.........was spoiled because of it. It is hard to find that type of quality beef anywhere.

Still, I will walk into T&S with an open mind and order alambres w/ refried beans and corn tortillas........that should be a great meal if the meat is good and tender.

Loved the pics Jorge posted........guess he is teaching one billion Chinese how to appreciate Mexican food.

Let's see, 1 billion Chinese, each ordering one Mexican burrito at US1/burrito............equals: ONE BILLION DOLLARS! RICH, RICH, RICH :)

Hi JR,

How are you?

Thank you for all the interesting point that you and all of you here have been posting and that refers to the Mexican food,

Just to let you know and may be you haven't notice it, but since i open Tacos & Salsa i have been using ONLY beef tenderloin, Pork loin, and chicken breast as the main and only source of meet for our dishes, and one of the reason is to assure the quality of the stake, as well as the tenderness and flavour.

As you can guess, I am very picky regarding food too, so no worries, please make sure that next time you come to BKK stop by T&S and try our beef, pork or chicken alambres and fajitas.

I am understand your concern about the beef, and believe me, I will not sale rubbish to any of you.

So, I hope to see you soon

Best regards

Jorge B

Glad you are reading, Jorge! And I agree with you about your al pastor. My Thai friend loves them as well, and she often insists that we stop by for some.

My one recommendation to you would be to make the Saturday buffet more like the free one you had on your re-opening at the new location or the one you had on Oct 15. Charge more, if you need to. The current price is certainly low enough. And you have plenty of customers on Saturday. So charge mroe, but offer guacamole and a wider array of dishes. Maybe limit the off-the menu items so that the kitchen can keep the buffet lines rolling.

I am grateful you are here so I can get my hit of Mexican, but I would be a permanent fixture even if I live pretty far out if the buffet expanded some.

Hi Bonobo,

Yes, I will fix that buffet to a reasonable price, like in the opening and i will extend the timing, as well i will add more dishes and them not use the normal menu, since i have been with problems with the orders and feeding the buffet and the kitchen size, so I am working on it and i will let you know here asap.

Best regards

Jorge :)

I am happy to see that you addressed issues brought up by your customers, with what I consider logical and valid reasons why ,the situation occurred.

I have long stopped looking for Mexican food in Thailand, As all my experience of dining at those restaurants were all very negative with very bad quality of their food. The next time I am in Bangkok, time permitting I may drop by and try some of your food.

As I live out in the middle of Rural Thailand, all my beef purchases are from a truck that drives through the village selling beef. I have greatly changed my meat preference since coming to Thailand, from the rural port of Puerto Penasco Sonora.

I make my own food at home with ,an Horno and underground pit made to accommodate "Cabeza de Res".

I wish you great success in your Restaurant Taco's and Salsa.

I am happy to see that you addressed issues brought up by your customers, with what I consider logical and valid reasons why ,the situation occurred.

I have long stopped looking for Mexican food in Thailand, As all my experience of dining at those restaurants were all very negative with very bad quality of their food. The next time I am in Bangkok, time permitting I may drop by and try some of your food.

As I live out in the middle of Rural Thailand, all my beef purchases are from a truck that drives through the village selling beef. I have greatly changed my meat preference since coming to Thailand, from the rural port of Puerto Penasco Sonora.

I make my own food at home with ,an Horno and underground pit made to accommodate "Cabeza de Res".

I wish you great success in your Restaurant Taco's and Salsa.

Dear kikoman,

I am happy to be here with all of you sharing out taste for Mexican food and food in general, including Thai, I believe that been open is always a positive way to keep the right way.

I remember saw your pictures about you underground oven, and immediately come to my mind the "Barbacoa" and "consome" uhmmmm, may be one day we can make it here in Thailand and why not, may be we can work some thin out together ;-)

I hope to see you some day soon at Tacos & Salsa

Have a nice week

Cheer

Jorge B

Tacos & Salsa

Saturdays' Tacos & Salsa buffet update

Buffet, All you can eat 350 THB, no drinks included

from 6-9pm

Every Saturday

The buffet will include the following items

1.Taquitos beef / pork / chicken / al pastor

2.Alambres beef / pork / chicken (No quesadillas, since that people prefer the alambres and they think that they are quesadillas anyway

3.Tostadas de tinga de pollo

4. Tortilla chips

5. Guacamole

6. Burritos mini beef / pork / chicken

7. Enchiladas beef / pork / chicken

8. Refried beans

9. Mexican rice

10. Chilaquiles

11. Tamales beef / pork / chicken

12. Bunuelos

13. Flan

14. Salsa set red mild / fresh pico de gallo / green super hot

15. Pozole

16. Albondigas (beef meat balls)

A la carte menu available during this time

1. Nachos

2. Fajitas

3.Milanesas

The only exception for a la carte order will be, what i mention above, vegetarian order and chefsxp orders

Toacos & Sasa

Jimmy,

thanks for taking the time and trouble to provide your review and the pictures. Based on your review I will definitely visit Soi 18 for a taste in the near future. It's a pity more TV members don't provide comprehensive reports such as yours. I for one appreciate your effort.

I try to take or make the most of western food here in Thailand. I certainly am no expert but I have eaten at T&S and for the most part its a lot better than nothing. Tell me better please. But am moving to one of the islands. Will come back and eat at T&S again.

Better than nothing much.

Like the food there.

Hi JR,

How are you?

Thank you for all the interesting point that you and all of you here have been posting and that refers to the Mexican food,

Just to let you know and may be you haven't notice it, but since i open Tacos & Salsa i have been using ONLY beef tenderloin, Pork loin, and chicken breast as the main and only source of meet for our dishes, and one of the reason is to assure the quality of the stake, as well as the tenderness and flavour.

As you can guess, I am very picky regarding food too, so no worries, please make sure that next time you come to BKK stop by T&S and try our beef, pork or chicken alambres and fajitas.

I am understand your concern about the beef, and believe me, I will not sale rubbish to any of you.

So, I hope to see you soon

Best regards

Jorge B

Saturdays' Tacos & Salsa buffet update

Buffet, All you can eat 350 THB, no drinks included

from 6-9pm

Every Saturday

The buffet will include the following items

1.Taquitos beef / pork / chicken / al pastor

2.Alambres beef / pork / chicken (No quesadillas, since that people prefer the alambres and they think that they are quesadillas anyway

3.Tostadas de tinga de pollo

4. Tortilla chips

5. Guacamole

6. Burritos mini beef / pork / chicken

7. Enchiladas beef / pork / chicken

8. Refried beans

9. Mexican rice

10. Chilaquiles

11. Tamales beef / pork / chicken

12. Bunuelos

13. Flan

14. Salsa set red mild / fresh pico de gallo / green super hot

15. Pozole

16. Albondigas (beef meat balls)

A la carte menu available during this time

1. Nachos

2. Fajitas

3.Milanesas

The only exception for a la carte order will be, what i mention above, vegetarian order and chefsxp orders

Toacos & Sasa

THank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!  :)

• 1 month later...
Hi dear friends,

Come and celebrate with us Christmas at Tacos & Salsa

I hope to see you there

Best regards

Jorge Bernal

Jorge is it too late to make some changes to the English?

1. Diner (Dinner Set)

2. Read (Red Wine)\

3. Extra Guess (Extra Guest)

4. Stake (Steak)

5. Tendeloin (Tenderloin)

6. All avobe (All Above)

Cheers

Hi James,

Yes, sorry, it was to late,

but thank you very much for your care, I should check the documents before post,

Merry Christmas

Gracias !

Jorge

Hi dear friends,

Come and celebrate with us Christmas at Tacos & Salsa

I hope to see you there

Best regards

Jorge Bernal

Jorge is it too late to make some changes to the English?

1. Diner (Dinner Set)

2. Read (Red Wine)\

3. Extra Guess (Extra Guest)

4. Stake (Steak)

5. Tendeloin (Tenderloin)

6. All avobe (All Above)

Cheers

Good news indeed. TY Jorge.

Howdy….just had a very good meal at Tacos and Salsa.

I had a beef taco, beef tamale, cheese enchilada and refried beans.

The beef taco was seriously good…excellent texture and taste. I am looking forward to trying the beef alambres and/or fajitas next time.

The beef tamale was too dry for me. But I am used to chile con carne on top of my tamales, so that might be the reason.

The cheese enchilada was good. It had a strange (strange in terms of what I am familiar with in Texas) orange sauce on top, but I liked it.

The refried beans were very good. I liked the texture and the bits of bacon.

The chips and salsas--red, orange (piquin?) and green (jalapeno?)--were very good.

I have never seen green and orange salsas in Texas, (where red picante hot sauce predominates), but that does not matter because they were really tasty and interesting.

The new place is decorated nicely………good, relaxed Mexican atmosphere.

The waitress was very friendly and helpful (hope you are paying her enough). And I got to meet the chef (very nice).

Congratulations on your new place Jorge.