Tacos And Salsa Restaurant Review

Jimmyd

IMHO.......Thai beef is disgusting! Is Mexican beef really the same? Is the trick to making it "good" slow cooking with the right spices?

I said in an earlier post that part of the price problem is related to imported beef...........but I actually don't know for sure if people like T&S and Sunrise Tacos and Miguels are importing beef or not.

Does anyone know? Are we being served THAI BEEF............. :)

Do the chefs out there really think you can make Thai beef taste good?

A few things come to mind, firstly, if you are not sure of the type of beef being served then it really shouldn't matter. 2nd, I don't think ST or Migs are serving Black Angus.

As for the thai beef being tasting good, I get villa to cut me 14oz ribeyes -aged, decent marbling then throw them on my bbq for a quick sear, served medium rare. Tastes pretty good for the price.

I get your point.......but IMHO it is sickening.........revolting stuff.

I, too, have tried Thai beef.........tried ground round..........tried rib eye.........all horrible!

It even has some chemical smell like it has been sitting in formaldehyde.

BUT, I grew up in Texas and know what good steaks are supposed to taste like (at least in Texas)......maybe that is the difference here.

Thais might find a good Texas steak revolting.

I hear ya mate. I grew up eating Alberta AAA http://www.beefgradingagency.ca/grades.html

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made some under ground pit BBQ, a pork lion and 2 kilos of Thai beef- just to see if I can use Thai beef in further BBQs, as Thai beef tends to be to lean (good Pit BBQ) needs some fat on the meat.

post-91962-1258074578_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1258074775_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1258074662_thumb.jpg

I used a 7 kilo pork loin (big pan) and and 2 kilo Thai beef in the (little pan) The Thai beef came out very juicy and tender. The Attachment showing my wife cutting the beef, you will also notice in the pan at the bottom of the page, pork bones that were pulled out of the loin meat, the pork was also so very good ,juicy and tender.

Many Thais do not eat beef, half of my family would never eat beef. My Thai neighbors ate all the beef and said it was so tender.

I also included my home made BBQ rotisserie, that I made maybe 5 years ago and is powered by a 2 D cell rotor motor.

post-91962-1258074903_thumb.jpg

Yes! Thai beef can be used in making Mexican food ,if it is cooked properly (long and slow) it then is chopped into small pieces and serve in tacos.

Also those good Texas steaks you mentioned, orgin could be from Mexico. Mexico exports a lot of cattle to the US. that are then put in feed lots to fatten up for slaughter.

Cheer.

post-91962-1258074831_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1258077186_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1258077390_thumb.jpg

Edited by kikoman

I made some under ground pit BBQ, a pork lion and 2 kilos of Thai beef- just to see if I can use Thai beef in further BBQs, as Thai beef tends to be to lean (good Pit BBQ) needs some fat on the meat.

post-91962-1258074578_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1258074775_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1258074662_thumb.jpg

I used a 7 kilo pork loin (big pan) and and 2 kilo Thai beef in the (little pan) The Thai beef came out very juicy and tender. The Attachment showing my wife cutting the beef, you will also notice in the pan at the bottom of the page, pork bones that were pulled out of the loin meat, the pork was also so very good ,juicy and tender.

Many Thais do not eat beef, half of my family would never eat beef. My Thai neighbors ate all the beef and said it was so tender.

I also included my home made BBQ rotisserie, that I made maybe 5 years ago and is powered by a 2 D cell rotor motor.

post-91962-1258074903_thumb.jpg

Yes! Thai beef can be used in making Mexican food ,if it is cooked properly (long and slow) it then is chopped into small pieces and serve in tacos.

Also those good Texas steaks you mentioned, orgin could be from Mexico. Mexico exports a lot of cattle to the US. that are then put in feed lots to fatten up for slaughter.

Cheer.

Sorry for the repetition of the last attachment!

Thanks for the input and pics........nice pit.

BUT, I can also cook Thai beef slow and make it tender as hel_l on a Sunday (or is that Monday?).

The problem I have with Thai beef is its smell and taste.........to me it is disgusting.

Personally, the cattle in Mexico do not look the same as the cattle we have around Texas: mainly Black Angus and Herford (sp.?).

I have never seen any cattle in Thailand that look like the cattle we use for beef (have seen a few at experimental farms in Isan though).

In Texas..........and I know because I raised some cattle.........we feed them a mixture that is mostly grain (often in pens/enclosures).

On occasion, they are let out to graze. They grow very fat on the grain.

In addition, even though it is very hot in Texas, there are four seasons, so most of the year it is not as hot as Thailand.

I wonder if that makes a difference? Certainly grain-feeding does make a difference.

One poster talked about Canadian beef.......perhaps the best in the world.........cold climate.

I live in China from time to time.........and I can tell you that up north the beef is very good.........not like Thai beef at all.

Temperature? Grain feeding? Maybe those are two important variables.

In Texas..........and I know because I raised some cattle.........we feed them a mixture that is mostly grain (often in pens/enclosures).

In addition, even though it is very hot in Texas, there are four seasons, so most of the year it is not as hot as Thailand.

I wonder if that makes a difference? Certainly grain-feeding does make a difference.

One poster talked about Canadian beef.......perhaps the best in the world.........cold climate.

Most US beef is grain-fed.  However, there is a movement among top-end butchers and restaurants to get away from grain-feeding and move to grass. Grain-feeding gives the marbling that Americans like, but it does give a blander, less beefy taste. Gradd-fed is certainly more expensive as grain-fed beef get to a marketable weight in about half the time.  On the other hand, you don't need to pump grass-fed beef antibiotics.

As an Iowa boy, I used to swear by grain-fed beef.  But now, I am not sure.  Highland beef from Scotland is simply amazing, and I have had great Alberta grass-fed beef. I rather like Argentine beef as well.

On the other hand, I believe both Hanu, Kobe,  and Matsusaka are fed at least partial diets of grain along with grass.  I have had delicious wagyu from Australia, but I don't know if that is grain or grass-fed.

To date Mexico has Exported 653,559, feeder cattle to the US, The breeds are Charolais, Angus, Simmetal and Limousn.

Mexico and Canada have higher Import/Export of cattle, Mexico has used Canadian beef to upgrade the Mexican cattle herds!

Edited by kikoman

To date Mexico has Exported 653,559, feeder cattle to the US, The breeds are Charolais, Angus, Simmetal and Limousn.

Mexico and Canada have higher Import/Export of cattle, Mexico has used Canadian beef to upgrade the Mexican cattle herds!

That suprises me...........Black Angus I am very familiar with because that is what I raised..........Charolais is also similar to Black Angus but white in color........never heard of Simmetal or Limousn.

Perhaps, as stated, it is the feeding process and climate temperature that make a big difference in how the beef tastes and smells.

It seems very odd to me that, in Thailand, pork tastes like pork back home..........chicken tastes like chicken back home.......but beef taste like something from Mars............at least to me.

I still wonder if Tacos and Salsa and T&S use Thai beef or imported beef. I am sure they will not say and don't blame them. If customers like it, it really does not matter whether it is Thai beef or imported beef........actually it matters in terms of price.

One more thing............Black Angus and Hereford, the two most popular beef cattle in the USA, originated in England........not Mexico.

It is likely that Mexico started importing the species for its own industry..........and now some of their beef makes its way back to the American market and the tails of the NAFTA agreement or something like that.

One more thing............Black Angus and Hereford, the two most popular beef cattle in the USA, originated in England........not Mexico.

I hope a Scotsman doesn't read your post!!!

Both breeds of angus cattle are from the Aberdeen region of Scotland, not England. :)

That suprises me...........Black Angus I am very familiar with because that is what I raised..........Charolais is also similar to Black Angus but white in color........never heard of Simmetal or Limousn.

Perhaps, as stated, it is the feeding process and climate temperature that make a big difference in how the beef tastes and smells.

It seems very odd to me that, in Thailand, pork tastes like pork back home..........chicken tastes like chicken back home.......but beef taste like something from Mars............at least to me.

I still wonder if Tacos and Salsa and T&S use Thai beef or imported beef. I am sure they will not say and don't blame them. If customers like it, it really does not matter whether it is Thai beef or imported beef........actually it matters in terms of price.

Besides McDonalds, and expensive Steak Places at the Landmark and Marriott, do you really believe any restaurant (mexican or otherwise) would use US beef?

Perhaps a blind taste test is in order. :)

Most US beef is grain-fed. However, there is a movement among top-end butchers and restaurants to get away from grain-feeding and move to grass. Grain-feeding gives the marbling that Americans like, but it does give a blander, less beefy taste. Gradd-fed is certainly more expensive as grain-fed beef get to a marketable weight in about half the time. On the other hand, you don't need to pump grass-fed beef antibiotics.

As an Iowa boy, I used to swear by grain-fed beef. But now, I am not sure. Highland beef from Scotland is simply amazing, and I have had great Alberta grass-fed beef. I rather like Argentine beef as well.

On the other hand, I believe both Hanu, Kobe, and Matsusaka are fed at least partial diets of grain along with grass. I have had delicious wagyu from Australia, but I don't know if that is grain or grass-fed.

This thread has taken an interesting turn..for someone like me anyway.

Quite interesting and educating posts from kikoman and JR Texas,thanks.

I agree with the opinion that grass fed beef is definately the way to go.Funny how us humans strive to improove and enhance,but in the end nature pretty much comes out unbeatable.

As far as the debate of best quality beef..my vote definately goes to Tasmania Australia.

Cold climate and loads of nice quality grass and pasture. I dont know if its a combination of the feed and traditional farming methods but the carcass beef seems to come out with perfect fat score (sometimes maybe a little overdone) and is way tender without having to have the excessive marbelling that USA buyers like.

Also, the butchers there are just about the only ones in Oz who stick to traditional methods in their trade. They will sometimes hang a slaughtered body away whole for an extra week or more before further processing...and the primals may be left hanging for further weeks after that.Having been involved in the industry in Tasmania i must say the results from the local produce and these methods are sensational...you just cant compare it to supermarket meat that sits in a cryovac bag for weeks and is leached dry when the bag is opened.

Aussie beef might generally have a good reputation but comparing Aussie mainland beef to tasmanian is like comparing Thai beef to Aussie

Oh and dont get me started on q'land beef..forget it,chainsaw fodder...yuck :)

It is likely that Mexico started importing the species for its own industry..........and now some of their beef makes its way back to the American market and the tails of the NAFTA agreement or something like that.

You need to do a little book learning "fact" about beef and Texas! The Texas Longhorn was the mainstay of Texas beef for many a years, even their football team is named after them.University of Texas Long horns.

The first longhorns where introduced to South America and Mexico in 1493 by the Spanish,Horses were also introduced to the Americas at that time. Texas was part of Mexico until 1846 "over 4 centuries later," the Texas Long horn came from Mexico and later mixed with other breeds brought in to Texas from the US. As part of Mexico the long horns cattle were introduced to Texas, Why are so many cowboy term that have a Spanish orgin. Cowboy-Vaquero ,Rodeo- Rodear. Lariet-La Riata etc. Look up via the Internet the orgin of U.S. Cowboys term.

I never said that Mexico invented the Black Angus Breed along with the white face, I simple answered your saying that Texas Cattle are different that Mexican Cattle, you have not been in Mexico much, the breed of cattle that one sees in Mexico Northern Cattle producing states of Chihuahua and Sonora are mostly White Face.

Also one of the busiest cattle import point of entry is Santa Teresa NM, The cattle are from Chihuahua the state bordering the State of Texas. I have not seen many feedlots in Arizona or New Mexico, But there are feedlots all over the State of Texas ,You can smell them 10 miles before you pass them.

So Sonny your fuzzy math does not add up!

You need to do a little book learning "fact" about beef and Texas! The Texas Longhorn was the mainstay of Texas beef for many a years, even their football team is named after them.University of Texas Long horns.

The first longhorns where introduced to South America and Mexico in 1493 by the Spanish,Horses were also introduced to the Americas at that time. Texas was part of Mexico until 1846 "over 4 centuries later," the Texas Long horn came from Mexico and later mixed with other breeds brought in to Texas from the US. As part of Mexico the long horns cattle were introduced to Texas, Why are so many cowboy term that have a Spanish orgin. Cowboy-Vaquero ,Rodeo- Rodear. Lariet-La Riata etc. Look up via the Internet the orgin of U.S. Cowboys term.

I never said that Mexico invented the Black Angus Breed along with the white face, I simple answered your saying that Texas Cattle are different that Mexican Cattle, you have not been in Mexico much, the breed of cattle that one sees in Mexico Northern Cattle producing states of Chihuahua and Sonora are mostly White Face.

Also one of the busiest cattle import point of entry is Santa Teresa NM, The cattle are from Chihuahua the state bordering the State of Texas. I have not seen many feedlots in Arizona or New Mexico, But there are feedlots all over the State of Texas ,You can smell them 10 miles before you pass them.

:) chill out...........no fuzzy math at all

1) Texas Longhorns are not part of the maintream beef industry in Texas at present

2) The mainstream beef industry is mainly devoted to Black Angus and Hereford, both from the UK

3) These two species have been exported to Mexico (which now has its own beef industry)

3) I have been everywhere in Mexico

Now, what is your point and what does it have to do with Tacos and Salsa?

:) chill out...........no fuzzy math at all

1) Texas Longhorns are not part of the maintream beef industry in Texas at present

2) The mainstream beef industry is mainly devoted to Black Angus and Hereford, both from the UK

3) These two species have been exported to Mexico (which now has its own beef industry)

3) I have been everywhere in Mexico

Now, what is your point and what does it have to do with Tacos and Salsa?

#1 your statement that Mexican beef is different than Texas beef, The Texas beef industry was started by Mexican beef,Wrong !

#2 If the two breeds were exported to the US from England, (how did that imported beef end up as Texas Beef) Wrong!

#3 These breeds were exported to Mexico from Canada, and other country's. In line with your thinking,Mexico can Claim them as Her own beef. Which they don't.

#3 again. That experience is not reflected in your Statements.

Now the point is that I explained how Mexican beef is similar to Thai beef. You requested that a chef address my point about slow cooking and chopping for tacos, as should be done at Tacos and Salsa. You also proceeded to say that Thai beef is disgusting and smelly.

It may surprise you that many Mexicans will not eat US beef because of the smell, that develops with the long US aging process.

It was my experiment that Thai beef can be used at Tacos and Salsa or any other restaurant, If prepare correctly.

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

Traditional Mexican beef is different from "Texas beef."

The Texas beef industry did, in one sense, begin in Mexico........the so called "Longhorn" originated in Africa..........then it was shipped to Spain.........then to Mexico......then to Texas where it was eaten for years.....but that is ancient history.

Later, the Texas beef industry changed radically.......substituting the Longhorn with Hereford and Black Angus........both from ENGLAND.

Later, the Mexican beef industry imported some Hereford and Black Angus..........end of story.

To me, traditional Mexican beef is not something I want to eat.........it is the same with traditional Thai beef.

I think I am not alone..........so if you own a Mexican restaurant and want to attract non-Mexican farangs.........it might be a good idea not to use traditional Mexican beef or traditional Thai beef.

I have tried traditional Thai beef........no matter what I do to it it smells and tastes awful. But that is me.........maybe other people can cook it so that it taste fine.

Traditional Mexican beef is different from "Texas beef."

The Texas beef industry did, in one sense, begin in Mexico........the so called "Longhorn" originated in Africa..........then it was shipped to Spain.........then to Mexico......then to Texas where it was eaten for years.....but that is ancient history.

Later, the Texas beef industry changed radically.......substituting the Longhorn with Hereford and Black Angus........both from ENGLAND.

Later, the Mexican beef industry imported some Hereford and Black Angus..........end of story.

To me, traditional Mexican beef is not something I want to eat.........it is the same with traditional Thai beef.

I think I am not alone..........so if you own a Mexican restaurant and want to attract non-Mexican farangs.........it might be a good idea not to use traditional Mexican beef or traditional Thai beef.

I have tried traditional Thai beef........no matter what I do to it it smells and tastes awful. But that is me.........maybe other people can cook it so that it taste fine.

I have no interest in opening a restaurant for anyone. I make my own Mexican food at home, which I enjoy greatly.

Cattle Network- <The source of cattle news> on the Internet States in part: "Texas and New Mexico import from Mexico 22,000 head of cattle per week" those are feeder stock, that go to Texas feed lots.

There is a quarantine in Mexico on US beef, because of "Mad Cow disease".

Mexico exports are displacing US beef exports to South Korea ,Also because of the Mad Cow scare.

Do not complicate my story with facts!

The history of Texas did not began in 1846, it goes back over 300 years before your Texas was born!

Like the country song "That's my story and I'm sticking to it"

You eat Mexican beef .

End of Story:

Edited by kikoman

Sorry, but it is clear you are not understanding what I am saying.

It does not matter anyway.

Historical accuracy about the beef industry in Mexico and Texas is irrelevant to Thailand.

The problem is Thai beef, not Mexican beef.

And the Thai beef problem is real if you are not Mexican or Thai. I assume most of the clients who are eating at Mexican restaurants in Thailand are neither Mexican nor Thai.

So, my point should be clear: If you own a Mexican restaurant in Thailand, you need to consider that many of your clients are not going to like local Thai beef no matter what you do to it.

Suggestion: Have two options on the menu: 1) Thai/local beef (less expensive) and 2) imported beef (more expensive).

Is Villa Market's beef all imported?

I bought some tri-tip there once ... I dont recall it being unreasonably expensive, and it cooked up pretty nice.

I just looked and they don't say whether they sell imported or local beef........only this:

Beef - For its beef supply, Villa has a perfect process certificate and has joined with a co-operative farm that raises cattle without the use of steroids or hormones.

Now I am really curious..........are all of the Mexican restaurants in Thailand using local Thai beef?

If T&S is doing it........it is doing a fairly good job because I can eat their beef tacos (not what I want, but it did not have a bad smell or taste.....just not as tender and juicy as I would like).

In fact, the next time I go there I will avoid anything with beef and try pork instead.

Whatever beef Sunrise Tacos is using is something I can't eat and will never eat again.

Actually, I doubt any of the owners are going to reveal whether they are using local beef or imported beef.

BUT, again, I think it might be wise to give customers who like beef a choice: local Thai beef or imported beef.

Sh!t on a stick, you guys keep going on and on about the beef. I am not a fan of water buffalo or under cured road kill and knotty old Brahma cow muscle anymore than anyone else, but there are other options here.

You do know about Thai-French? I can't find a web link for them, but they are no slouches and it is definitely not stringy, tough as hel_l Brahma meat. If you search this forum, you will find more information on them and even directions to their facility, so you can see it for yourself.

Perhaps they are using Thai-French at T&S, who knows. I went back again after a long absence and the overall experience and food it is still just a touch above tolerable anyway, but that's me.

As to the Thai-French thing, I can say with certainty, I know what I am talking about. As, when I am in Texas, I for one, do not eat Mexican beef or even Iowa Pack. We select two bull calves every year, deprive them of their male pride, then combo feed them on grass & grain. Subsequent to that, we go to a local slaughter house that specializes in butchering and aging beef for local ranchers.

When we sit down to a fine non-vegetarian meal of beef, it was raised out behind the house. So go try Thai-French and expand your horizons. They also have their own butcher shop in the same little complex as Villa near Sukhumvit 33.

Dr. B

Actually, I doubt any of the owners are going to reveal whether they are using local beef or imported beef.

I would tend to think an intrepid restaurateur would advertise quite loudly if they were using imported beef (unless they relied on local beef as a backup supply) ... but not say a word if using local only.

I would tend to think an intrepid restaurateur would advertise quite loudly if they were using imported beef (unless they relied on local beef as a backup supply) ... but not say a word if using local only.

Have you noticed how quiet is has become :)

You do know about Thai-French? I can't find a web link for them, but they are no slouches and it is definitely not stringy, tough as hel_l Brahma meat. If you search this forum, you will find more information on them and even directions to their facility, so you can see it for yourself.

Perhaps they are using Thai-French at T&S, who knows. I went back again after a long absence and the overall experience and food it is still just a touch above tolerable anyway, but that's me.

Found this: Still the best quality Beef in Isaan is at the Thai-French Beef Coop. outside of Sakhon Nakhon... It is nothing like the "Thai Beef", and you will find that the butchers there will cut it to whatever you like... I usually get T-Bone Steaks about 2 cm thick, and of course a kilo of Filet as well... They have all of the normal "Western Cuts" such as Sirloin, Top Round, Bottom Round, Rib Eye and wonderful Roasts....The beef from there is equal to or better than anything available in the stores in the States... And very close to what is available at Top Quality Restrurants...

If the above is true, the owners of Mexican restaurants in Thailand should look them up and see if they can get some quality beef at a good price.

I have tried imported Australian beef from food land in Pattaya, very much on the tough side, I also purchased imported T-bone steaks at a Steak house on walking street, same price same results.

A friend from Belgium took me to a place on Soi 11, called Malee (closed now, different owner) and had a nice thin but tender mushroom cover steak. I asked the owner where he purchased his meat and he said at big C, I tried big C beef and it was OK. I no longer consume much beef as I only eat homemade Mexican food and my wife's Thai cooking.

I cooked some beef in my underground BBQ beef, to see if Thai beef could be soften for tacos if cooked properly, and it can.

If you are a beef eater and traveled all over Mexico, do not like Mexican beef then what would you eat in those trips to every part of Mexico. Make one wonder!

There has been no Mexican Restaurant in Thailand I visited that had decent tasting food, they had high priced all falang oriented tasteless food, that is called Authentic Mexican food.

I have not eaten at Tacos and Salsa, for I have no need to pay outrages prices for food I make at home, that includes Tamales ,Menudo and Posole.

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

also companies are known to use misleading advertising of their products.

You remember "You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepso@@t"

Tell me how Tacos and Salsa improves when they buy Thai- French beef!

Nope, It ain't quiet at all!

Edited by kikoman

also companies are known to use misleading advertising of their products.

You remember "You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepso@@t"

Tell me how Tacos and Salsa improves when they buy Thai- French beef!

Nope, It ain't quiet at all!

Uh......well.........OK.........I think I speak for everyone: We agree with you. :)

Let me clarify something.........I have been in Thailand for about 24 years now............when I was a boy and young man living in Texas, I traveled all over Mexico.......that was in the 60s and 70s.

Back then, the beef was not that good. I did not say I never ate it; I said it was not that good.

I actually ate a lot of cabrito, quail, fish, pork, chicken, etc.

Way back then, I never saw a species of cattle that I thought was like what we have in Mexico.

But, I just Googled images of Mexican cattle and found some pictures of cattle that look similar to Hereford.......a bit thin, but still OK. They were on a ranch near the Rio Grande.

My guess is that the beef from them is tasty. So, it looks like the beef industry has changed dramatically since I was traveling around Mexico. And for the better.

Given what I saw, I think I would take Mexican beef any day over the local Thai beef.

I am 71 years old, and we had White Faced Herford then, that was in the 1930s,40s and 50s.

I will try cooking a young goat (Cabrito) in my pit next.

After my New Years Pit cooking of a Lechon-roast suckling pig..

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman