Tacos And Salsa Restaurant Review

Jimmyd

KFC is operated by Tricon, not Minor Group.

Also, the Mexican chain that was here 10 years ago was Taco Time, not Taco Bell.

I bet you would do really well on Jeopardy :o

:D believe me it has not been easy at all, but I am glad to do what i do and happy to have happy costumers

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to notice, anybody else seen these....??

When I've been riding BTS lately, I'm seeing back-to-back TV commercials on their on-train video advertising system showing ads for some kind of chips called "Dr. Taco" and for some kind of "Mexican" flavored chicken offering coming from KFC....

Both videos have very traditional Mexican imagery presented. And while farangs certainly are passengers on the BTS system, the customer base there is certainly predominantly Thai. So somebody must think it's worth investing their advertising dollars in pitching Mexican themed products to a Thai audience.

Makes one wonder about the convergence prospects in Thailand for the sister outlets operated by YUM brands, being KFC and Taco Bell.

Such as, this joint operation in San Francisco, CA....

post-53787-1239158818_thumb.jpg

The combination of Taco Bell and KFC is a good concept: They would make a fortune here. But you have to understand the market. Two points:

First, in terms of the expat market for "Mexican food," nobody is serving up Tex-Mex......can't even get the bad Taco Bell version which is, in my view, better than anything I have eaten at any Mexican food place in Thailand. If somebody would do it, the non-Americans would likely start loving it.

Second, in terms of the local market, well........it does not exist. Thais just might like tamales........they would almost certainly like chile relleno using various peppers and stuffings (and not some crap chile relleno pie).

Thais, for the most part, do not seem to like what is being presented to them now. This is obvious to me........I see it with my own eyes when I go to the places that are out there now. A major problem is the high cost of the product......most Thais simply are not going to pay a high price for a taco.

Again, I think Taco Bell would be a hit here......especially if it offers up some items that Thais would like. Marketing the concept with KFC as a partner.........almost a sure winner.

You were sounding pretty reasonable JR till you started saying that Taco Bell was better than any Mexican place in Thailand. Not so, you need to get out more. Taco Bell is utter crap and tastes nothing like good Tex-Mex or Mexican. If you like Taco Bell ... well like I said before, your palate for good Mexican food - and Tex-Mex IS a variety of Mexican food - is immediately suspect :D In fact in a blind tasting I'd bet all my money that you couldn't tell the difference between Tex-Mex and the food from Tacos & Salsa. Like I also said before, they are not that far apart. Certainly the differences in flavours between sacred Joe T's and T&S are about 50 times less than the difference between Joe T's and Taco Bell. If you were to eat at T&S and think that Taco Bell was better, than I'd have to guess your fondness for Joe T's has nothing to do with taste.

By the way, bkkjames, I'm with UG here, pretty sure Thailand has never had a Taco Bell. Hopefully never will. KFC sucks too :D

:D:o:wai: I have already said I have not eaten at T&S. So, obviously, I am not including T&S in my generalizations. The reason I am saying something positive about Taco Bell is because the other places (excluding those I have not tried) are worse or about the same in terms of taste and quality.

I am not emphasizing Taco Bell because it serves excellent Mexican food. Of course, it doesn't. It serves nothing even remotely like Joe T. Garcias or El Fenix. It is a late night fix type of place.....inexpensive.......popular with young people. And it focuses (or used to) on tacos and burritos.

(By the way, I was born and raised in Texas. I have traveled all over Mexico and South America. I also lived in California. I know all types of Mexican food. Nothing that I have eaten beats Joe T. Garcias and El Fenix..........so I keep using them as a model of what good Mexican food is.)

I will say that the tacos and burritos I have eaten at Taco Bell are fine.....nothing great.........but fine if you are starving for Mexican food and don't want to spend a fortune on it. That makes them competitive. If they come here many expats will spend money on their food. The marketing will be top notch. The food will be inexpensive......40-60 baht for a burrito with refried beans and cheese and salsa.........as opposed to 290 baht for the same burrito asta place I will not mention.

I am mentioning this, not to be rude........I am simply stating a fact. If I were in the Mexican restaurant business, I would be concerned about pinning my dream on very expensive tacos and burritos. I would try to lower my price on those items while making them superior to what Taco Bell will eventually serve. And I would start focusing on items that Taco Bell is not going to offer: chile relleno, enchiladas, tamales, fajitas.......etc.

I am certain they are coming. Right now they are just sitting back and monitoring the situation......seeing what is working and what is not working and going through various plans for introducing their items to the Thailand market. I think they are in China now. When and if the economy gets better and some sort of stability returns to the country, they may finally decide to test the market here. If they set up a place on Khao San Road, it would make a fortune!

I see where you're coming from now, JR, regarding Taco Bell. One of the good things about living in Texas was having Taco Cabana open 24 hours a day. Now there's a chain they should be bring to Thailand, but unfortunately it hasn't even made it outside Texas (last I checked; I even bought stock in the company but lost money). Having Taco Cabana in most towns meant never having to resort to Taco Bell for a Mexican fix while I lived in Texas.

In other states, I must confess to having succumbed, but I almost always regretted the decision :D

I don't mind Taco Bell once in a while, but it would not be when I am hankering for Mexican food.

Well said. It's not Mexican food. It's something you eat, or, even sometimes crave, when you want fast food. It's a certain taste you want, but not the real thing. Kinda like going to McDonalds for a burger. It's very addicting, like the Ribwich sandwich in the Simpsons.

96861.gif

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

:o

I is funny, but i also like to eat one in a while a good hamburger, which ironically I prefer the once in "Mos Burger" where even this Japanese company has adopted the fast food system still care a bout the quality and freshness of the food, some thing that Mc Donals or Burger King doesn't.

I am working in new recipes where I will include the use of grounded beef, including a couple of HB, but that will be for the expanded T&S in the near future

Have a nice and very safe Sonkran

Please take care and i hope to see you at T&S soon

Hasta la vista !

J

:D

I is funny, but i also like to eat one in a while a good hamburger, which ironically I prefer the once in "Mos Burger" where even this Japanese company has adopted the fast food system still care a bout the quality and freshness of the food, some thing that Mc Donals or Burger King doesn't.

I am working in new recipes where I will include the use of grounded beef, including a couple of HB, but that will be for the expanded T&S in the near future

Have a nice and very safe Sonkran

Please take care and i hope to see you at T&S soon

Hasta la vista !

J

With any luck you will not have a tank park in front of your place. :D

I am guessing you must use imported beef? And that causes your prices to go up?

No problem, just thinking about Thai beef makes me sick.

Back home in the Nation of Texas we take sirloin and make ground sirloin and then use that for all types of things: hamburgers, ground steak.......it would make very good taco meat.

But so would slow smoked beef shoulder........maybe smoke it for 20 hours........then pull it apart and chop it up and use that for tacos and tamale filling.......enchiladas.

Just a thought........huuuuummmmmm...........think those tanks are on their way! :o

For the record, my US home is in San Diego, and I like Cali-Mex much better than Tex-Mex, and I am partial to Baja, Oaxaca, and Chiapas Mexican as well.  But I would love to have good Mexican food of any stripe available here in BKK.  The only thing I can eat at Sunrise is the carnitas, and those aren't too good.  Right now, if I want good Mexican, I have to make carnitas or use imported beef for carne asada (my Mexican recipes are limited to taqueria-type dishes).

Having written that, I have not tried Tacos and Salsa, but I certainly intend to try it.  Even if only the al pastor is good, the trip would be worth it.  

Some posters complain about the beef dishes there. Well, that is pretty endemic to Thailand.  I have given up on hamburgers at home due to the low beef quality, and now I make do with pork burgers.  Pork in Thailand is pretty good, so carnitas and al pastor certainly should be decent if the restaurant is good, as should be the pollo asada.  And there is no reason why fish tacos cannot be good (I would kill for a good Baja fish taco right now.)

I understand the points about keeping it small and focussing on the expat market.  But I do think that underestimates the ability of Thais to appreciate more varied cuisines.  I have a Thai acquaintance who comes over for dinner sometimes, and her second choice for food on any given visit is carnitas.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi dear friends,

I would like to share with all of you the following links, showing what is Tamales and Pozole, and how to eat them, plus an explanation of what is "5 de Mayo". making clear that it is not the celebration of the Mexican independence day and other restaurants are promoting in order to sale.

Any way, I hope to see you there tomorrow, there will not be a big party, just as usual service plus the inclusion of this to very special dishes from Mexico.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamale

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_mayo

Best regards

Jorge

post-73993-1241437051_thumb.jpg

post-73993-1241437089_thumb.jpg

Hi dear friends,

I would like to share with all of you the following links, showing what is Tamales and Pozole, and how to eat them, plus an explanation of what is "5 de Mayo". making clear that it is not the celebration of the Mexican independence day and other restaurants are promoting in order to sale.

Any way, I hope to see you there tomorrow, there will not be a big party, just as usual service plus the inclusion of this to very special dishes from Mexico.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamale

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_mayo

Best regards

Jorge

Oops, sorry

I am almost forgot this one

Cheers

Jorge

• 2 weeks later...

One year already

Last night a group of new costumers asked me for a Sangria, which is not in the menu, but i did made it for them. And what I got was a big jug of a fresh Sangria, at the end of the night the got three jugs, so I will include it asap in the menu, come and try it.

Salud !

One year already

Last night a group of new costumers asked me for a Sangria, which is not in the menu, but i did made it for them. And what I got was a big jug of a fresh Sangria, at the end of the night the got three jugs, so I will include it asap in the menu, come and try it.

Salud !

Hi Jorge - I drove by T&S today, but it was too early to stop for lunch (9am).:D It was easy to see the restaurant from Sukhumvit, so I think you have a good location. :D Over the next month I will be making several trips to Bangkok and want to stop in for tamales and al pastor. :) Where's the best place to park around there?

One year already

Salud !

Hi Jorge - I drove by T&S today, but it was too early to stop for lunch (9am).:D It was easy to see the restaurant from Sukhumvit, so I think you have a good location. :D Over the next month I will be making several trips to Bangkok and want to stop in for tamales and al pastor. :) Where's the best place to park around there?

Hola,

Thank you for your message and I hope to see you at T&S soon

You can park your car in any available slot along Soi 18 for free, including, if available, the one right in front of the entry of Tacos & Salsa and the Pavilion (Indian restaurant), but the best place for parking is just in the small soi where T&S is located, this soi is belongs to the Condo City Smart, which is the big red building behind T&S, I believe that security guard charges 40 THB, but a friend of mine told me that the guard didn't charged anything the last time saying that was fine for maximum 2 hours.

If you have any trouble please do not hesitated on call me 081 381 5468

Best regards

Note: I am attaching a picture of our tamales, tacos al pastor and the new (no yet in menu) USA quesadillas

post-73993-1242812354_thumb.jpg

post-73993-1242812565_thumb.jpg

post-73993-1242812698_thumb.jpg

I finally made it to Tacos & Salsa.

My meal didn't start out that great due to a new watiress who had some problems taking my order.  Jorge showed up, though, and fixed that problem.  But the food was overall quite good.  I wish the guacamole was a little more generous, but avacados are not the cheapest thing around here so be it.  The guac was quite good as were the three salsas. 

I wanted to try a small variety of things as a sampler, so I got a beef taco, and alambres of  beef, pork, and chicken.  The alambres were quite good (although I still am not sure what is the difference between a fajita and an alambre--never have been sure, in fact.)  The beef taco was excellent. As I am an al pastor freak, I also tried two al pastor taquitos.  Really, really first rate.  I would put these up against any I have had in Mexico.  I truly liked them alot, and I will be back for those if for nothing else.

This would be a pretty decent Mexican restaurant in San Diego or even most of Mexico. For Thailand, this is a superb Mexican restaurant. 

I was thinking of skipping Bangkok and just heading straight for Pattaya on my next vacation, but when Bononobo says, "This would be a pretty decent Mexican restaurant in San Diego or even most of Mexico. For Thailand, this is a superb Mexican restaurant", I HAVE to check it out.

I know this is real Mexican food and Miguel's in Chiang Mai is California Mexican, but my main concern is which tastes best to me - I will report! :)

I was thinking of skipping Bangkok and just heading straight for Pattaya on my next vacation, but when Bononobo says, "This would be a pretty decent Mexican restaurant in San Diego or even most of Mexico. For Thailand, this is a superb Mexican restaurant", I HAVE to check it out.

I know this is real Mexican food and Miguel's in Chiang Mai is California Mexican, but my main concern is which tastes best to me - I will report! :)

I have not been to Miguel's yet, but I would be curious to read your comparisons between the two.

I know this is real Mexican food and Miguel's in Chiang Mai is California Mexican, but my main concern is which tastes best to me - I will report! :D

I have not been to Miguel's yet, but I would be curious to read your comparisons between the two.

Miguel's is pretty good, in the absence of a Tacos and Salsa in Chiang Mai :) If you are a Mexican food connoisseur you will probably prefer T&S. If Mexican American food is your thing, you might prefer Miguel's, though even then every yanqui I know who has tried both admits that T&S is tastier, esp the enchiladas, the guacamole, the beans and the huevos rancheros, not to mention chilaquiles, tacos al pastor and tinga (none of which Miguel's serves). Avoid the tamales at Miguel's. :D But Chiang Mai is lucky to have a place as good as Miguel's. Certainly I've not found any other place in Thailand outside of Bangkok that compares favourably (speaking mainly of Pattaya and Phuket, don't think I've come across Mexican restos anywhere else).

I still haven't been to Tacos and Salsa but based on all the reports, I want to congratulate the owner for proving the naysayers wrong ... you CAN do more or less authentic Mexican Mexican food in Thailand. Hopefully, the start of a great Mexicano wave across the land (got to convert the Thais first, I suppose).

I still haven't been to Tacos and Salsa but based on all the reports, I want to congratulate the owner for proving the naysayers wrong ... you CAN do more or less authentic Mexican Mexican food in Thailand. Hopefully, the start of a great Mexicano wave across the land (got to convert the Thais first, I suppose).

I think going with the fish tacos as Jorge plans is one way to grab the attention of Thais.  I went to school with many Thais in San Diego, and pretty much all of them loved the fish tacos.  From there, they branched out to try other items on the menus.  So if you can get them in the door, I think more and more Thais will start to enjoy Mexican food.

I first came to Thailand in 1982, but frankly, I don't remember if Italian food was popular then.  Maybe some of the old Thailand hands can shed some light on that.  But now, there is a plethora of Italian restaurants, some quite good (like Zanotti) and some pretty poor Thai-style pseudo-Italian (like Pizza Company).  But if Italian food can become popular and accepted, certainly Mexican food is suited to Thai tastes.

I think going with the fish tacos as Jorge plans is one way to grab the attention of Thais.  I went to school with many Thais in San Diego, and pretty much all of them loved the fish tacos.  From there, they branched out to try other items on the menus.  So if you can get them in the door, I think more and more Thais will start to enjoy Mexican food.

I first came to Thailand in 1982, but frankly, I don't remember if Italian food was popular then.  Maybe some of the old Thailand hands can shed some light on that.  But now, there is a plethora of Italian restaurants, some quite good (like Zanotti) and some pretty poor Thai-style pseudo-Italian (like Pizza Company).  But if Italian food can become popular and accepted, certainly Mexican food is suited to Thai tastes.

Yes fish tacos might be the key. I can remember the days (pre-82) when most Thais were disgusted by pizza. Now they eat it like there's no tomorrow. Back then, when adventurous Thais did sit down for pizza (the only place that advertised pizza back then, as I recall, was Shakey's at Siam Square; long gone since then), most Thais would sprinkle sugar on it. Now it's ketchup :)

I don't know whether it's analogous, but I can remember when the French turned their noses up at the thought of eating Mexican food. Nowadays Tex-Mex, at least, is rather trendy in Paris.

Confirmed !

Tacos & Salsa is happy to tell you that finally confirm our expansion.

Please visit and join us on myspace

www.myspace.com/tacosandsalsabkk

The NEW Tacos & Salsa will be located on the main road of Sukhumvit, between Soi 22 and Queen's park, next to Emporium and walking distance from the BTS station of Prongpong.

The re-opening party will be also our fist anniversary party, so expect a great event.

In the men time, I would like to let you know out new addition to our menu.

1. Sangria, sale it only by jug and it is good for eight glasses.

2. "Caldo de camaron" A delicious prawn soup with potatoes, carrots and garnishes with lime juice and chilli sauce to taste. For the moment ONLY available on Sunday's.

3. "Pozole" I real Mexican tradition that consist of a very rich corn soup cook it with chicken and pork, garnished with lime juice, iceberg lettuce, red radish, oregano and chilli sauce to taste. you must try it. Available for the moment ONLY on Saturday's

3. "Tamales" now are a regular item in the menu and available in four fillings. Beef, pork, chicken and pineapple (sweet for dessert)

4. Our unique and delicious "T&S Fish Tacos with corn or flour tortillas ( also available in burrito version) yu must have it

5. T&S Prawns served as a dish or as a filling for tacos, burritos, quesadillas, alambres and tostadas.

Also, we are working in more additions to our menu, so I hope to see you soon

Promotions

1. Fridays' night is Margaritas night, come with your friends (4 to 8) and enjoy a complementary jug of any house margarita (good for eight glasses) with your order of our Mexican food

2. Saturdays' night is Sangrias night, also, come with your friends (4 to 8) and enjoy a complementary jug of our special and fresh SANGRIA (good for eight glasses) with your order of our Mexican food.

3. Sundays' Tacos. Out now traditional Sundays of tacos at Tacos & Salsa, come and enjoy our special combo sets of our different variants of tacos, including "Tacos al Pastor" (a incredible tasty marinated pork tacos, which is probably the most popular taco en all Mexico, you must try it) ask for the in it's Thai name, just for fun "taquitos muu deang sapalot" lol

So, come over and enjoy our our excellent quality and taste food, that, I can promise... it it just 100 % Mexican, so, please avoid imitations :)

Salud amigos ! !

post-73993-1243834174_thumb.jpg

Confirmed !

3. Sundays' Tacos. Out now traditional Sundays of tacos at Tacos & Salsa, come and enjoy our special combo sets of our different variants of tacos, including "Tacos al Pastor" (a incredible tasty marinated pork tacos, which is probably the most popular taco en all Mexico, you must try it) ask for the in it's Thai name, just for fun "taquitos muu deang sapalot" lol

I have to admit, the al Pastor taquitos are great.  I went again on Saturday, and my date simply loved them as well.

Confirmed !

I have to admit, the al Pastor taquitos are great.  I went again on Saturday, and my date simply loved them as well.

I just ate at Tacos and Salsa for the first time and thought it was excellent!

I had a beef taco (wonderful), cheese enchilada (wonderful), and refried beans (fantastic).

I even liked the three salsas that were served: green, orange and red.

The corn tortillas were excellent.....so were the chips.

The waitress was very nice......and it was great to hear Carlos Santana playing one of his tunes at your place (must have been expensive to get him to come to Bangkok).

It is not Tex-Mex, but that is fine because the food was great. My stomach is singing a happy tune right now.

Congratulations Jorge......and it was nice meeting you in person.

Good luck on your new place coming soon.

from the map posted it looks like the new location is pretty much opposite 'Coyotes' so will be good competition in that area.

There is also 'Sunrise Tacos' further up Sukhumvit but I assume that would be deemed more 'fast food' style' Mexican?

I am a Brit so we have no real history in Mexican food but will be sure to try your new place out as I am a lover of all good food whatever the style!

Thank you all of you guys,

We are working very hard in order to bring you what are you looking for.

We are just an honest restaurant with honest food and service

I hope to see you soon before we close the current location. I am planing to have an special farewell party since that i have to thank the Soi 18 for bring me the opportunity to make Tacos & Salsa grow up.

I hope to see you soon.

Remember, Tonight is Sangria's night, come with minimum 4 friends and get a free jug of Sangria with your food order, also tonight we will have Pozole as we will do every Saturday, I am making just small amount in order to keep it always fresh, order one big portion of "Pozole" and get and complementary local beer

Companero, is that 4 people total for the free Sangria, or one +4 = 5? I'm stopping by tonight and need to know how many friends to bring. Looking forward to the pozole ... nos vemos

I hope to see you soon before we close the current location. I am planing to have an special farewell party since that i have to thank the Soi 18 for bring me the opportunity to make Tacos & Salsa grow up.

I hope to see you soon.

Remember, Tonight is Sangria's night, come with minimum 4 friends and get a free jug of Sangria with your food order, also tonight we will have Pozole as we will do every Saturday, I am making just small amount in order to keep it always fresh, order one big portion of "Pozole" and get and complementary local beer

Edited by SpoliaOpima

Jorge, when you are gonna open the new location ?

Maybe you can consider delivery service later on for us soi 18 guys as we can not drop by "downstairs" anymore for take out :)

Good luck with the new place and let us know when the opening party will be.

We tried Tacos and Salsa for the second time tonight (took the lazy takeaway option). I don't have a whole lot of experience of US-Mexican food or Tex-Mex, so I can't really compare, but I have spent a month in Mexico with a friend from Mexico City who made sure we tasted the best of Mexican cuisine. Both meals from Tacos and Salsa have been excellent, and brought back very good memories.

So far we have only tried the enchiladas, tacos, and various salsas and guacamole, but cannot wait to taste the pozole. I haven't had anything other than homecooked (when I can get the right corn) since last time I was in Mexico. The refried beans are fantastic, really tasty, and the rice seemed to taste even better tonight than the first time. I admit that I haven't been to any other Mexican places in Bangkok but with new additions to the menu at Tacos and Salsa, I don't think I'll be testing out any of the others any time soon! Overall, really like this place and hope it is successful because it deserves to be, and maybe one day I won't have to cook my own mole poblano anymore :)

Companero, is that 4 people total for the free Sangria, or one +4 = 5? I'm stopping by tonight and need to know how many friends to bring. Looking forward to the pozole ... nos vemos

I hope to see you soon.

Hola

Sangrias and Margaritas promotions as follows

Get a jug of Margarita or Sangria for groups of every 4 on your order of food

4+ pax 1 jug

8+ pax 2 jugs

12+ pax 3 jugs

14+ pax 4 jugs

16+ pax Already a party so, I will get you a bottle of Tequila

I hope to see you soon

Saludos

Jorge