Commuting In Phuket

Peterocket

If you are looking around the Bang Tao/Surin area, there are apartments at Lersuang and Club Lersuang available that a few of my mates stay in. Think going rate is usually around 30,000 per month for a 2 bedroom. No private pool but communal pool, and short walk to both Surin and Bang Tao beaches. Might be worth a look.

They Paved a parking lot... and put in a Paradise.

How is it a grown woman can't get herself to work, is she from Kuwait?

How anyone can live in that traffic snarl south of Heroine Monument is beyond me .

Unfortunately if you live north of BIS , you'll be contending with having to drive south another couple of kilometers past the By- pass road as U turns aren't allowed, though it's probably done all the time. Then a u turn in rush hour.

But then after the drop off , you're back in the same quandry. Why they haven't taken out that center strip in more places to allow for more u turns ?

Oh, that would require actually having a concept of the future .

She can get herself to work but whilst im not going to be working i thought i could drive her in the mornings which would then leave me with the car for the day. In hindsight that was a stupid idea...i just didnt realise!

I saw the Lersuang and Club Lersuang apartments as well as the Kamala Hill Condos. They all look nice and it sounds like its going to be an easier commute from these areas. I have to be honest though ive not lived in apartments or shared living areas before so i am also a little bit sceptical as to whether ill enjoy it. Might be nice to have people around though and to enjoy the facilities during the day (especially whilst im out of work).

Houses in the boat lagoon seems to offer all the benefits of an apartment with the facilities etc but are only 5 mins from the school. Just involves stretching the budget...hmmm

Houses in the boat lagoon seems to offer all the benefits of an apartment with the facilities etc but are only 5 mins from the school. Just involves stretching the budget...hmmm

Might be cheaper than a second car. But Boat Lagoon offers no ocean view or nice beach. And you are limited to the marina bar/restaurant for evening entertainment. Some of the waterside houses look terrific.

Might be cheaper than a second car. But Boat Lagoon offers no ocean view or nice beach. And you are limited to the marina bar/restaurant for evening entertainment. Some of the waterside houses look terrific.

I think ill get 2 cars whatever happens...

I think ill get 2 cars whatever happens...

Buy or Rent ? I ask cos second hand cars are surprisingly expensive here, and hire cars start about 15,000 baht/month for a decent small car.

Hard choice, maybe buy one rent one. Ive heard that cars hold their value well though...so I guess we could re-coup the money if we sell the cars when we are finished with them?

Is security really necessary? I wouldnt have considered it to be honest...not something I am really worried about...should I be?

It is worth considering. Sneak thief is quite common here, a guy looking to see if doors/windows not locked, gets in and grabs any small valuable items (money/gold/mobile phone/note book PC/DVD). An estate with security is always good, but just having good locks on all doors & windows and security screens are a good enough deterrent. So long as you actually lock them, even when you are at home. Just the other week I caught a young guy wandering about our houses at 06.15 in the morning checking if doors or windows were not locked. I challenged him but he just ran away. Not worth tackling him as he might pull out a knive or worse. Calling the police is just a joke.

Except when the security is targeting you..

Slyvia Jurich, a worker within the Swedish Consulate was robbed by security at her apartment complex in Kathu, when she tried to complain to the owners, she found a knife inside her home.

She asked me to write about this. She has since moved from Thailand and urges all to do the same.

Except when the security is targeting you..

Yes, agree with you completely. Long time age we lived in a 'secure' community in Patong. A new guard was employed, and within one week we had a forced entry and valuables stolen. The guard did not report for duty the next day and was never seen again.... :o

Take a look at Kathu, along the road to the Kathu Waterfall. There ist a lot of houses for rent, about 16k to 20k per month, and it is something like 15 minutes to the school on the road along the golf course. And into town or to the beaches, it's a 20 minutes hop.

There is nothing in Kathu Waterfall that's worth looking at for less than 25k. I live there and inspected all other rental options in the area just couple days ago. Phanason village had few offers for 20k, but I wouldn't stay there - too crowded.

I have to be honest though ive not lived in apartments or shared living areas before so i am also a little bit sceptical as to whether ill enjoy it. Might be nice to have people around though and to enjoy the facilities during the day (especially whilst im out of work).

Might not 24-7. You can always go to a gym, no?

I like my stand alone house with privacy. In the morning I get up and go downstairs in my underwear (probably not the prettiest sight, no I take that back, for sure not) to grab a drink of juice, and am happy that I don't have any neighbor eyes around.

Thais like having lots of people around, as a westerner I prefer some privacy.

My suggestion is to look for a nice house in Bangtao. Should be lots around, just don't move in near a mosque as the wailing and the Imam du Jour at 5:00AM certain times of year can be annoying (unless you're Muslim of course).

Take a look at Kathu, along the road to the Kathu Waterfall. There ist a lot of houses for rent, about 16k to 20k per month, and it is something like 15 minutes to the school on the road along the golf course. And into town or to the beaches, it's a 20 minutes hop.

There is nothing in Kathu Waterfall that's worth looking at for less than 25k. I live there and inspected all other rental options in the area just couple days ago. Phanason village had few offers for 20k, but I wouldn't stay there - too crowded.

I saw a fairly nice place for 14 not that long back.. No pool at that money.

Depends how far down the waterfall road you want to go..

I have to be honest though ive not lived in apartments or shared living areas before so i am also a little bit sceptical as to whether ill enjoy it. Might be nice to have people around though and to enjoy the facilities during the day (especially whilst im out of work).

Might not 24-7. You can always go to a gym, no?

I like my stand alone house with privacy. In the morning I get up and go downstairs in my underwear (probably not the prettiest sight, no I take that back, for sure not) to grab a drink of juice, and am happy that I don't have any neighbor eyes around.

Thais like having lots of people around, as a westerner I prefer some privacy.

My suggestion is to look for a nice house in Bangtao. Should be lots around, just don't move in near a mosque as the wailing and the Imam du Jour at 5:00AM certain times of year can be annoying (unless you're Muslim of course).

Yeah i like the look of BangTao and Surin, should be much easier to get to BCIS from there.

Kathu does look nice as well, but i would quite like to be near the beach and arent too bothered about being close to Pa Tong.

Is Choeng Tale also classed as BangTao?

Is Choeng Tale also classed as BangTao?

Cherng Talay ecompasses Bangtao and surrounding areas.

North of Bangtao is Layan, also a very nice beach area. Problem is during the low season the water gets super dangerous at places like Nai Thon beach. So when you hit the beach up there in the offseason, just be careful.

Is there any reason why you're committed to Bel Air Panwa? If you're not committed, why not rent in chuan chuen lagoon or soemthing similarly close? That commute from Panwa will get old in a hurry.

We're not commited to Cape Panwa but its one of the few places where i could have a 2 bedroom apartment private pool and an ocean view for 30000 bht per month. Im sure if I hunt around i can find other places but i wanted to check to see if was feasable to commute from Cape Panwa each day. I wouldnt have thought 30-45 mins each day is too much of a commute, but we havent actually driven in the Phuket traffic yet.

It seems clear that we will need 2 cars, It was a bit short sited thinking we could survive with 1, I'll bear that in mind before i arrive!

The Boat Lagoon and Bang Tao both look appealing but both seem expensive...

I may very well be wrong but my information was and that just does not relate to Bel Air Panwa is that the local Muslim community which is possibly the largest on the island like to have a loud hailing sing song in the Mosque every morning as dawn breaks. As I said I could be wrong but there has been sea view property for sale in that area at reasonable prices for many many years and no takers... Also it is a lousy drive that at 6 am would be 30 minutes and with the development going on at present the estimated time during school hours will soon become an hour. If its sea views you are looking for why not try hanging a right at the heroine's monument on the way to the airport or heading into Phuket Town from the airport on the by pass road. Go past Supercheap Supermarket (on your right) and carry on to the next major cross roads (traffic lights) and turn left. Lots of nice houses etc up there with panoramic views of the islands...

I lived in Kamala and did the trip 4 times a day!! average 35 minutes each way and in 7 years only had one accident.

I love Kamala as its very laid back, good places to eat and much cheaper than any other Beach area. Low season is great there and u can find 2 bedroom places for 12-20,000 easily

Heading back there in a couple of months.

as to Kathu or Phuket town and even Cheung Cheun Lagoon, ( many westerns there with kids at BIS)... why live on an Island and not near the beach?? Would much rather drive more to school and have the beach near by then the other way around.

BIS does run a bus to Chalong so maybe you could just drive them to the pick up pioint rather than all the way

Edited by phuketrichard

I used to live in Panwa, and my guess is that going straight through Phuket Town will be the fastest way. Where does your wife work?

She is going to be working at BCIS

Im the one without the job! Ill be looking when i get there..

depending on which part of Patong you live it will be about 20 mins of you include the back road near kathu - i drive via Patong at rush hour at night - it is about 20 mins for me from BIS

I lived in Kamala and did the trip 4 times a day!! average 35 minutes each way and in 7 years only had one accident.

I love Kamala as its very laid back, good places to eat and much cheaper than any other Beach area. Low season is great there and u can find 2 bedroom places for 12-20,000 easily

Heading back there in a couple of months.

as to Kathu or Phuket town and even Cheung Cheun Lagoon, ( many westerns there with kids at BIS)... why live on an Island and not near the beach?? Would much rather drive more to school and have the beach near by then the other way around.

BIS does run a bus to Chalong so maybe you could just drive them to the pick up pioint rather than all the way

35 mins drive is perfectly acceptable, will arrive and try and get a hotel or apartment in the Kammala/Surin area for the first few weeks, then test out the route to BCIS. If we feel it is fine then we'll try and get a house/apartment there long term. Well thats the plan so far!

The Kammala hillside aprtment look quite nice...just not 100% if we want to do the shared living space thing yet...

I will keep looking in Kamala but havent seen anything yet which looked ideal.

Kamala rents are a lot cheaper than Panwa, lots of good places available if you hunt about on the ground (if you use agents then mucho ++), but I would guess it will be almost a 30 minute drive each way from/to Kamala. Slow slow twisty road from Kamala to Heroine roundabout, then dual highway to BIS. On the plus side there are no traffic lights on that route. Traffic lights are the problem on Panwa to BIS route, I can think of 7 traffic lights. On bypass they have 4 way sequence, so it's at least 2 minutes (often 3 minutes) wait, and not likely you will get through first time at rush hour.

Sounds like there isnt a huge difference between the 2. Everyone says that Panwa is such a great place to live..maybe we could take it for 1 month and then move on if we find it is too much hassle.

Do people generally search for accomodation by just driving around and asking about? Sounds like a fun way to find a house...not quite the same as the UK!

We live in Panwa and do the School run dont worry when you find the short cuts it is easy,( kamala not if it was rent free )

I will keep looking in Kamala but havent seen anything yet which looked ideal.

Kamala rents are a lot cheaper than Panwa, lots of good places available if you hunt about on the ground (if you use agents then mucho ++), but I would guess it will be almost a 30 minute drive each way from/to Kamala. Slow slow twisty road from Kamala to Heroine roundabout, then dual highway to BIS. On the plus side there are no traffic lights on that route. Traffic lights are the problem on Panwa to BIS route, I can think of 7 traffic lights. On bypass they have 4 way sequence, so it's at least 2 minutes (often 3 minutes) wait, and not likely you will get through first time at rush hour.

Sounds like there isnt a huge difference between the 2. Everyone says that Panwa is such a great place to live..maybe we could take it for 1 month and then move on if we find it is too much hassle.

Do people generally search for accomodation by just driving around and asking about? Sounds like a fun way to find a house...not quite the same as the UK!

We live in Panwa and do the School run dont worry when you find the short cuts it is easy,( kamala not if it was rent free )

You live in Panwa and do the school run! So you dont regret having a place so far from the school. It seemed the general concensus in this thread was that it would be far better to have a place closer by. I got the impression that it could take up to an hour to get to and from the school every day. Can i ask where abouts in Panwa you live? I had kind of given up on the idea until you wrote that...

what do you mean by 'Kamala not if it was rent free'?