Got A Bike

JUDAS

Just picked up a CBR 150 today on an excellent deal but the only protective gear I've got is a pair of flip flops!! Looking to find a shop stocking a range of helmets, jackets, gloves etc in the Surin/Buriram area. Would be happy enough to travel further afield to find a decent shop.

All info appreciated....

Why can't I use emoticons?

Just picked up a CBR 150 today on an excellent deal but the only protective gear I've got is a pair of flip flops!! Looking to find a shop stocking a range of helmets, jackets, gloves etc in the Surin/Buriram area. Would be happy enough to travel further afield to find a decent shop.

All info appreciated....

Congrats on the new CBR- a very popular bike here in the Kingdom.

Don't know about shops in your area, but here are a few shops that do mail order that you might find interesting:

http://www.dr-bikebangkok.com/

http://www.dirtshopthailand.com/

There are plenty more and you can find some very good deals, especially if you can read Thai.

Happy Trails!

Welcome to the CBR club :o

Right the first thing to do is check online for the armour scene:

http://www.ontheroadthailand.com/Thingstocarry.htm

The next is to head out to your local market / Tescos and get gloves and a full-face helmet. Theye sell those chunky, builders kneepads which are worth a look-in. You may look a bit of a gimp wearing them over your pants, but at least if you take a tumble you won't be so gimped, so to speak.

Get a thin silk scarf for your neck. Thailand is silk-land and it's dirt cheap out here. Sun protection and keeps debris and sht off the road from embedding itself in your neck :D

Make sure the gear, especially the full-face helmet fits you correctly.

Now, for the 'proper' armour you've got two options.

Option one is to head to Bangkok and do some shopping :D

Red Baron Bangkok

The Paddock

Another one called Panda-something.

If this isn't your thing then you can order via email and paypal with Red Baron.

They aren't cheap though.

Budgetwise you'll be better off shopping around locally.

You may find a second-hand shop/market that sells leather jackets. I've found one in Chiang Mai and one in Bang Saphan Noi.

So the chances are even Khmer / Isaan will have them.

They usually are around 800 - 1500 baht for a bikers jacket.

Hope this helps.

Edited by JimsKnight

Some decent helmets are the 'REAL' brand about 1,000 - 1,500. and get your kit A.S.A.P. TRUST ME I'VE JUST HAD ANOTHER ACCIDENT AND MY KIT SAVED ME FROM BAD SHIT.

Well said, hope your able to get parts for your old bike mate.

Another good brand is INDEX and STM. Both retail at around the figures quoted above.

Typical size is medium, not large, unless you've got a head like goliath.

Almost embarrassed to say I picked up an Avex lid today in BIG C Surin, all I could find. Not exactly protection but slightly better than my baseball cap :o so will be taking it real easy.

Spoke to petergreaney ( forum member ) few hours ago who did a tour of most of the big bike clothing stores in bkk a few days ago. Up here for another 10 days or so then will get to bkk asap, hook up with pete and get the necessary. He did actually mention the REAL brand of lid so will give them a look.

Hope the accident wasn't too serious thaicbr....

Not so bad for me Judas. but the bike ain't pretty. get yourself sorted with kit a.s.a.p

the avex will do as a pop to the shops helmet. when you leave it on the bike. if you know your sizes check out newenough.com... check the closeouts and bargains section man they can be cheap even with shipping. i just got a HJC ac12 helmet $79+ 60 shipping and 800baht import duty still shit loads cheaper than here.

I need a new viser for it now though.grrrrrrrrrrrr

Some decent helmets are the 'REAL' brand about 1,000 - 1,500. and get your kit A.S.A.P. TRUST ME I'VE JUST HAD ANOTHER ACCIDENT AND MY KIT SAVED ME FROM BAD SHIT.

Well said, hope your able to get parts for your old bike mate.

Another good brand is INDEX and STM. Both retail at around the figures quoted above.

Typical size is medium, not large, unless you've got a head like goliath.

Not seen STM sold locally but the index ones I have seen were horrid.. Har non removable liners, made for round heads, badly fitting rock hard foam..

Maybe they have some good ones I havent found ?? But REAL seemed way better quality.. Will do until I head to Europe and pick up something.