Vietnam To Thailand With A M/bike

Neeranam

If he is from a country that is on the visa exempt list he would get 15 days at the border. He should get a tourist visa for a longer stay in Thailand. And for Laos he could get a visa on arrival.

Moved to here for bike import answers.

Be wary, I've heard from other bikers that the Vietnamese are finicky about both small and big bikes being let across the border.

A few bikers have attempted this and I've read of them trying different crossings in Cambo. to check there instead.

Only a few have made it across.

GT Rider has a few Trip Reports of folk who've done this.

Well, a few friends and I took our sidecars as far as Cambodia. The paper work, as well as the leg work, was incredible and I have a feeling we finally only got the permits as we all work for a company here that is well-connected in the province that we crossed in. Incidentally, I hope your friend has a Vietnamese license as he might as well forget it otherwise.

From what I've heard its not that difficult to leave vietnam, problem is in entering vn. I think recently they've started requiring police clearance or something. They've never made problems for foreigners about licenses, unless its a new thing. He'll need to have the bike in his/her own name and papers to prove this, though.

I recently heard of someone who went vn->laos over tet and the border was completely open, they weren't even asked about the motorbike (a honda scooter), just had passports stamped and that was it.

As a matter of fact, they are beginning to check foreigners for licenses (like shooting fish in a barrel, most foreigners do NOT have valid licenses). I can only speak for the crossing in An Giang: it was a nightmare getting the requisite paperwork together. And this is not from what I've heard, I actually did it :o

Edited by hanno

The viet coast has to be a once in a lifetime ride..

Mate that highway 1 is insane to ride on, must be one of the most dangerous in the world for bikes. Could be 'once in a lifetime' alright... :o

Can it be done? I have a friend wanting to visit.

I am working in Halong Bay NE Vietnam and want to do the same thing, i.e. travel to Thailand by Motorbike. I live in Naklua Pattaya. Alternatively I would consider first purchasing a 400CC+ motorbike in Nong Kai or there abouts 400CC and drive into Vietnam from Thailand. At a later date travel back to Thailand through the South of Vietnam. At the moment I havn't found a motorbike dealer in Hanoi or Hai Phong who doesnt' want to charge the earth for a bike.

I need to find out the issues regarding entering Vietnam with a motorbike and conversely going the opposite direction. I'll be keeping an eye on this forum and I hope I can make a contribution as I find out more.

Keep the flag flying and keep the faith

Hunkey Dorey